• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to expect having pet cats?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Totally agree.

Back when I had cats I would carefully trim the sharp points off their claws, using nail clippers. It reduces the damage to furniture somewhat. The claws will grow back, so you have to do it again when they get sharp. You need an easy going cat, and please be very careful not to hit the "live" part of the nail.
Sure thing. If in doubt the vet can do it. Ours get done with standard nail clippers so they don't get caught in any textiles.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I find if I want Swatty to come, all I have to do is call Quesa, and all the cats will be there, except Quesa.

If I want Quesa, I make troubled sounds, and she has to come inspect...

There's also the specific call that lets them know someone's dropped food on the floor... all the kitties that prefer people food run to grab it.

And then there's the sound of cat food hitting the floor... they come running, even from outside.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Every time I see a picture of a cat online it makes me want one. I’m thinking about getting a couple of rescues. I’d like to eventually take them for walks on a leash
Like any relationship, the more you put into it, the stronger and more fulfilling the relationship is. If you attend to their communication methods and learn to communicate in their manner you will have a fantastic relationship. Note that it will be of equals, no subordinates: cats are not pack animals.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Get a dog. Cats do what they want. Dogs live to please.

I find dogs are varied, too. I have one dog that worships me, but only me. Everyone else can kiss it, she says. I have one very devoted and loyal dog, who loves and cares for all. I have a third dog who is concerned primarily with herself, and while can be friendly, its only if there's something in it for her.

I will say dogs are harder for the reason they have to be let out. Its also more difficult if you want to travel for any amount of time. Nothing against dogs, but they are more responsibility it seems to me.

Hah!
You just admitted having things on your feet!
And I'll bet they smell of bacon & catnip.

Not in this house.

We find a few of the cats get violent with catnip. And, no bacon in a vegetarian house. But, maybe cat food and kale is close enough.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Like any relationship, the more you put into it, the stronger and more fulfilling the relationship is. If you attend to their communication methods and learn to communicate in their manner you will have a fantastic relationship. Note that it will be of equals, no subordinates - cats are not a pack animal.

I hear cats aren't pack animals, but there's definitely a hierarchy here(the 'top' is an elder small framed lady named Quesa). I remember seeing 'packs' of ferals at the old place; there seemed to be some order to that, too. Maybe since so many of mine were ferals or descendants of... :shrug:

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
What gives? Illegal in the UK. Claws are part of a cat. If someone doesn't want claws in their living place they shouldn't have a cat. Get a goldfish.
Nifty, but I'm not in the UK. But I hear this a lot; "don't want claws don't get a cat". I fully accept that de-clawing where the first knuckle is amputated is horrendous and shouldn't be done. This is not that, and is a safe way to ensure that one's housecat doesn't become destructive, or harm other cats in the house, or cost you thousands of dollars in replacement furniture or rental fees for damage.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I hear cats aren't pack animals, but there's definitely a hierarchy here(the 'top' is an elder small framed lady named Quesa). I remember seeing 'packs' of ferals at the old place; there seemed to be some order to that, too. Maybe since so many of mine were ferals or descendants of... :shrug:
Dunno. I suppose I meant cats don't tend towards operating as a group (the exception being lions of course) although they do have 1 to 1 dominance/submissiveness relationships.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Nifty, but I'm not in the UK. But I hear this a lot; "don't want claws don't get a cat". I fully accept that de-clawing where the first knuckle is amputated is horrendous and shouldn't be done. This is not that, and is a safe way to ensure that one's housecat doesn't become destructive, or harm other cats in the house, or cost you thousands of dollars in replacement furniture or rental fees for damage.
I take your point, although cats use them (obviously) for holding and gripping so this ability is denied to them.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I take your point, although cats use them (obviously) for holding and gripping so this ability is denied to them.
It actually doesn't, which is another good thing about it. Our eldest cat was already declawed like this when my spouse and I got her. She's still able to play, walk, climb (via back claws) and grab things normally. She might not have an immediate grab like our kitten does, but for the needs and wants of a housecat it doesn't impede their life in a significant way at all.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Cats like people are different. Some are like @Revoltingest and woe betide you if you get one of those. Some are much better than that. We had one that would sleep on my stomach purring away and putting me to sleep every time I also got my beard groomed.

We had one who brought it what he caught and ate it in the bathtub so we could clean up easily. Another thought she was a mighty hunter but brought in living creatures and released them in the house.

My advice is to listen carefully to what they have to say and don't fight them on it whatever it is.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Cats like people are different. Some are like @Revoltingest and woe betide you if you get one of those. Some are much better than that. We had one that would sleep on my stomach purring away and putting me to sleep every time I also got my beard groomed.
Tis true that I'd never sleep on your stomach.
Or any other part of you.
However, I would regularly gift you with dead animals.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Is that to keep the nutters away?

Absolutely.

Dunno. I suppose I meant cats don't tend towards operating as a group (the exception being lions of course) although they do have 1 to 1 dominance/submissiveness relationships.

They might not tend to in small groups, but I feel there's not a lot of observation of larger groups of cats in domestic settings. I'm simply unsure if it doesn't happen, or if my cats are just weird(I consider that a possibility).

I remember watching a trio work together to get some treats out from a top shelf. They shared the spoils, and even included my toddler son, who went on all fours to eat with them(who is 16 now, and doesn't remember it). He didn't understand why I picked him up and carried him off... I let the cats keep the bag of treats. They earned it.