• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Rights Does Trump Have In the Impeachment Process?

sealchan

Evidence must be tested. Witnesses must be tested, and cross examined for lying or underlying biases.

Releasing testimony without these makes the testimony just more democrat manipulated propaganda.

Democrat manipulated propaganda taken straight from the mouths of Trump administration personnel testifying in front of Democrats and Republicans in an inquiry which, in and of itself, has no prosecutorial power.

shmogie

Here's two big differences.
A)Both Nixon and Clinton were suspected of domestic crimes. And both were under threat of impeachment for obstruction, not the actual behavior. Nixon lied about Watergate burglary, Clinton lied about banging his secretary. But both were under the gun for obstruction, not what they were lying about.
B) Trump is suspected of treason. That's a whole lot more important than partisan hardball or cheating on your wife.
So, do you think that Trump could be put under oath, like Clinton was, and asked hardball questions like Pelosi would ask, and not perjure himself? Trump can hardly get through a single tweet without saying something demonstrably false. If banging an intern is important enough to result in a Congressional inquiry, under oath, I certainly think that Trump's behavior merits the same.
But I doubt that he can stop lying long enough to survive an impeachment proceedings.
Tom
Obstruction is a crime. Clinton lied, under oath, perjury. Nixon destroyed evidence, a crime. Clinton was a fool to go under oath, he didn´t have to. He thought he was too smart to get caught, wrong.

Treason ? Do you even know what treason is ? It calls for the death penalty. Is the democrat hatred that strong ?

The precedent is set, just wait till the next democrat president, we will have learned the democrat lesson very well. Impeachment from the first day.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Obstruction is a crime. Clinton lied, under oath, perjury. Nixon destroyed evidence, a crime. Clinton was a fool to go under oath, he didn´t have to. He thought he was too smart to get caught, wrong.

Treason ? Do you even know what treason is ? It calls for the death penalty. Is the democrat hatred that strong ?

The precedent is set, just wait till the next democrat president, we will have learned the democrat lesson very well. Impeachment from the first day.
Do you honestly believe that Trump could respond to questions, under oath and from Pelosi, without lying?
I don't. And as the Clinton impeachment circus demonstrated, you don't have to actually get rid of the President to hobble his party in the next election.

And yes, I do believe that Trump is selling US national interests to Putin in a way that's treasonous. Not that it's been proven yet. But all we need to start the ball rolling is putting Trump under oath and see if he can consistently and truthfully answer tough questions.
Tom

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

And Trump has been obstructing justice consistently in this investigation.

Trump has repeatedly violated his oath of office, from violating the emoluments clause, to attempting to use a foreign government to pick up dirt on a political rival, to flagrant obstruction of Congress, etc.

The precedent was set with Clinton. What started out as an investigation of Whitewater ended up asking him about an affair in the White House. That whole debacle was a 'gotcha' of major proportions.

In comparison to Trump, Clinton was an angel.

wellwisher

Impeachment is a last ditch effort by the Democrats to get rid of Trump. The Democrats do not have anyone who is good enough to win in 2020. While top level swamp Democrats are about to be indicted for crimes they committed before and after the 2016 election.Things far worse than Watergate happened and top level Democrats are very vulnerable to criminal charges.

There was Democrat led FISA abuse, using tainted evidence bought by then candidate Hillary Clinton. There was also Democrat collusion with foreign nations such as with Ukraine. Ukraine still has the DNC sever that was supposedly hacked by the Russians and given to Wikileaks. Why is that sever in Ukraine and not with the FBI?

When Trump ran for president, he threatened to drain the swamp. Trump was aware of the corruption in Washington. The swamp immediately began a process to take out Trump via the collusion delusion. This attempted coup failed and led to Trump hiring AG Barr to investigate the origins of the failed coup.

The Democrats and the swamp are now scrambling, since many crimes were committed and Trump is moving forward with criminal indictments. Schiff and the Democrats are trying to intimidate witnesses, under the guise of an impeachment inquisition, but this will fail once the criminal indictment process begins.

shmogie

And Trump has been obstructing justice consistently in this investigation.

Trump has repeatedly violated his oath of office, from violating the emoluments clause, to attempting to use a foreign government to pick up dirt on a political rival, to flagrant obstruction of Congress, etc.

The precedent was set with Clinton. What started out as an investigation of Whitewater ended up asking him about an affair in the White House. That whole debacle was a 'gotcha' of major proportions.

In comparison to Trump, Clinton was an angel.
Your opinion is noted, but means nothing.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Impeachment is a last ditch effort by the Democrats to get rid of Trump. The Democrats do not have anyone who is good enough to win in 2020. While top level swamp Democrats are about to be indicted for crimes they committed before and after the 2016 election.Things far worse than Watergate happened and top level Democrats are very vulnerable to criminal charges.

There was Democrat led FISA abuse, using tainted evidence bought by then candidate Hillary Clinton. There was also Democrat collusion with foreign nations such as with Ukraine. Ukraine still has the DNC sever that was supposedly hacked by the Russians and given to Wikileaks. Why is that sever in Ukraine and not with the FBI?

When Trump ran for president, he threatened to drain the swamp. Trump was aware of the corruption in Washington. The swamp immediately began a process to take out Trump via the collusion delusion. This attempted coup failed and led to Trump hiring AG Barr to investigate the origins of the failed coup.

The Democrats and the swamp are now scrambling, since many crimes were committed and Trump is moving forward with criminal indictments. Schiff and the Democrats are trying to intimidate witnesses, under the guise of an impeachment inquisition, but this will fail once the criminal indictment process begins.

To be honest, it's really hard to tell what is going on behind the scenes. We hear of "the swamp," which seems to be some kind of amorphous, nebulous concept that no one can really agree upon.

Sometimes I listen to the radio and hear Trump supporters suggest that this is all some big set up by the Democrats. I recall the movie Mr. Smith Goes to Washington which, in the context of the story, shows how it's possible for a powerful political machine to make an honest, upstanding man appear to be an utter scumbag in the eyes of the voters. The only key difference now is that, back in those days, Jefferson Smith didn't have access to Twitter.

On the other hand, maybe Trump really is in cahoots with Putin. I suppose anything is possible.

But how can anyone know for certain? We don't know what goes on behind closed doors or what these people talk about privately. We can't read their minds either. The media offer very little in the way of clarity. They're talking more like rival boxers before a prize fight.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Right. The Senate will not remove him from office, game, set, match.

It is all a wasted circus show.

And they didn't remove Clinton from office, but he was still impeached. That alone carries a stigma, I think.

sealchan

This is the best summary of the Trump Kool-aid I have seen, well written.

At the same time...

Amazing...every word of what you just said was wrong.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Right. The Senate will not remove him from office, game, set, match.

It is all a wasted circus show.
Frankly, I could see Pelosi & Co. doing enough political damage that the Republicans decide they need a different candidate.
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I don't think you get this.
Precedent was being set back during the 90s with the Clinton impeachment.
And Obama was under fire from the get go, by "birthers" like Trump. The current rules for the proceedings were passed by Republicans planning to use them against Obama. Multiple investigations were initiated by the Republicans into Hillary's server, and Benghazi.

You're quite wrong thinking that this is the Democratic Party inventing all this rigamorole. The Republicans did, and now it's being used by Democrats.
Tom

sealchan

Frankly, I could see Pelosi & Co. doing enough political damage that the Republicans decide they need a different candidate.
Tom

Personally, I would take just about any of the other Republican candidates that ran in 2016. I honestly would be deeply relieved...just so long as it isn't Trump.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Personally, I would take just about any of the other Republican candidates that ran in 2016. I honestly would be deeply relieved...just so long as it isn't Trump.
I'm really not a Democrat.

I would love to see a more centrist, and less partisan, Republican candidate for high office. Not only the White House.
I just don't think that the institutional character of the GOP is capable of that, at this time. Maybe Trump can boost the GOP out of that slide by reconsidering their tactics.
Maybe not.
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Also Cruz. He's a dangerous theocrat.
But Kasich was a great possibility. Too bad he was too centrist and competent to win the Republican nomination.
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Really, what I want is to break the stranglehold the Demopublican/Republocratic Party have on the USA political process.
Tom

sealchan

Also Cruz. He's a dangerous theocrat.
But Kasich was a great possibility. Too bad he was too centrist and competent to win the Republican nomination.
Tom

Yes.

I understood that you were not a Democrat. I offered what I said because although that is where I tend to vote, I would, at this point, greatly and deeply appreciate any sincere, intelligent and ethical person in office.

Any party in power needs a good foil to help to expose exaggerated approaches. If I mainly vote Democrat, I still want good Republican candidates to challenge those Democrats.

I am, myself, a registered Independent. Always have been.

sealchan

Really, what I want is to break the stranglehold the Demopublican/Republocratic Party have on the USA political process.
Tom

Doesn't the large number of Independents tend to work in that way? Or are you looking for a third party?

It seems that with the large portion of Independents you get candidates in either party having to operate in a more centrist set of policies.