• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What religion would you pick?

If you dared to convert, what religion would you choose to be with and why?
I would chooose Buddhism, its simple, no attachment.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
"Dared to convert"?

I believe what I believe, and nothing can change that. You make it sound like people are afraid of following their own callings....

No...No-one would want to convert, right? So if they dared to do it, what would it be? Come on, none that stuff from now. No "i wont convert", no answer, no reply!

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
You can pick your zits. You can pick your nose. Please don't pick your religion! The puss is disgusting!

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

It occurs to me that religion is not a shopping spree. One does not "pick out a religion" based upon criteria that seem palatable, or fashionable, like so much clothing. Rather, religion selects the person. Religion is something that grabs you and takes you in.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
No...No-one would want to convert, right? So if they dared to do it, what would it be? Come on, none that stuff from now. No "i wont convert", no answer, no reply!
My answer is that I see no reason to convert. It's not something I don't "dare" to do. If I saw some religion as being a better path to truth than the one I'm on, I'd follow it. But I don't see any of them that way. If you see Buddhism that way, become a Buddhist. What's holding you back?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
It occurs to me that religion is not a shopping spree. One does not "pick out a religion" based upon criteria that seem palatable, or fashionable, like so much clothing. Rather, religion selects the person. Religion is something that grabs you and takes you in.
Exactly.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Not sure

Either Buddhism or Paganism.

If it were another Christian tradition, probably Eastern Orthodox.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da

What, you mean as a Chaote(Chaos Magician) I've been wrong all this time on picking and choosing, oh dang.

Smoke

Done here.
The only form of Christianity that appeals to me at all is Eastern Orthodoxy, and I already converted to that. Wandered back out 20 years later, though. I would dare to join another religion if I wanted to; it just seems like a lot of trouble for what I'd get out of it.

I find Ásatrú appealing, but I'd have to be the sort of Asatruar who views the gods metaphorically, and not as literal beings.

Some forms of Buddhism are appealing, too.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I don't know as I would "convert," but I am currently reading about the Zen teachings of Dōgen Zenji, and it makes a lot of sense.

"To study the Way is to study the self. To study the self is to forget the self. To forget the self is to be enlightened by all things of the universe. To be enlightened by all things of the universe is to cast off the body and mind of the self as well as those of others. Even the traces of enlightenment are wiped out, and life with traceless enlightenment goes on forever and ever."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogen

athanasius

If I didn't believe in Jesus or his church. I would probably go by my own religion or set of beliefs and rules. Which for me would be no rules at all. I would probably sleep with as many people as I cared too, cheat, steal, do hardcore drugs and even kill anyone who gets in my way. After all, you only live once, eat drink and be Merry, might as well live it up, who cares about others they are only a speck in the universe . I sure as hell wouldn't care. thank God for my Catholic faith I guess. If not for †hat I'd be one rotton SOB. LOL!

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I have a problem with word "dared" too but will let it go as that is not the point of the question.

I believe what I believe. It's not a matter of choosing. HOWEVER, I could believe what I believe and be a member of any number of religions. Granted, I would be heterodox in any of those religions. But I have met people with whom I agree from all of the world's great faith traditions. (And yes, by "great" I mean to exclude some.)

I could choose to identify with some other religious tradition. It wouldn't be a matter of "conversion" in its strictest sense, since my beliefs wouldn't change. It would be choosing to make a social commitment to a different group of people. If I ever need to leave UU, I would probably go to either some form of liberal Christianity, or Buddhism or Hinduism, not necessarily in that order. But at the moment, I see no reason why I'd leave UU. :angel2:

Smoke

Done here.
If I didn't believe in Jesus or his church. I would probably go by my own religion or set of beliefs and rules. Which for me would be no rules at all. I would probably sleep with as many people as I cared too, cheat, steal, do hardcore drugs and even kill anyone who gets in my way. After all, you only live once, eat drink and be Merry, might as well live it up, who cares about others they are only a speck in the universe . I sure as hell wouldn't care. thank God for my Catholic faith I guess. If not for †hat I'd be one rotton SOB. LOL!
I have trouble believing that you really feel that way. If you did, you'd still be one rotten SOB, but restrained by your beliefs. I doubt that you are.

Ori

Angel slayer

Ah, but even if your faith was misplaced and your religion wrong, that doesn't mean there's no God.

Callmepaul

What, are we supposed to choose what's behind door number 1,2 or 3? If I were to "choose" a religion I would have to have the power to make it real or I wouldn't do it. And if I had that power that would make me God. So, I guess the religion I would choose would be "ME". Since I don't have that power, I guess I'll stick with the religion that chose me.

If you are in the process of "choosing" a religion, why not say a short prayer first and ask God to choose for you? I'll bet He could do a better job.