• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What practical function does religion hold?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
While reading some of the debates about religion and atheism, a lot of the focus seems to be on "belief" or "non-belief," which sometimes seems to go in circles. In this thread, I'm thinking of looking more in the sense of the practical function of religion in everyday life in modern society.

Even setting aside the question of "belief," let's just assume for the sake of argument that there really is some sort of intelligent higher power which created this place we live in - and created us to live here. My question would be: So what?

Even if that were true, why would that require us, as humans, to create a religion around it and worship whatever it is we think created us? What actual function does it serve for whatever deity or deities built this place? What practical use does it hold for humanity? Human minds have derived our own concepts of morality, so we didn't really need any god to tell us how to behave or what is good and what is evil.

I'm not completely dismissing some of the more positive aspects, at least in terms of charitable work, giving a helping hand to people in need or people going through various trials and tribulations in life. These are good things which do have beneficial aspects for society. But this is just people helping people - no higher power is really needed or required.

If we just live our lives and deal with the world as it is presented to us, then isn't that enough? Why can't we be atheists, even if there really is a god or gods or some other higher power? Why is a lack of belief such a horrible thing in the eyes of religious people? What's the worst thing that could happen?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
As someone who identifies as religious, I don't see lack of belief to be a horrible thing. I have little to no beliefs as far as religion is concerned. So not all religious people meet this generalization.

I'm probably as close as to atheism as a one can get without being atheist. From this perspective, the reason we can't all be atheists is because not everyone is content in thinking this perceived reality is all that is, and not everyone is comfortable navigating through life without support of something they perceive as greater. There are those that have had experiences that indicate that it's not. There are those that need guidance through life by personal deity(its). There are many practical functions for religion and they can vary from person to person.

For me, validation of experiences is the practical function of religion; to know my experiences aren't some unique anomaly.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
So what?

So... you also have neighbors. You are part of a community and a living world and an ecosystem. So what? Why bother dealing with your neighbors? Why bother going outside? Why not just be a shut-in and never develop meaningful relationships with anything or anyone?

Because you can't not do so. You can't opt out.

How humans choose to navigate the many relationships in their lives is essential to the experience of life and living. And it is the core foundation of what religion is all about. Relationships. Religion - re-ligare - reconnecting. Recognizing that no, you can't just be a shut-in and avoid relationships with greater/other-than-human forces and powers, whether or not you call them gods. That you depend on these others for your very existence. That you can't avoid this dependency. That some humility is in order. That some gratitude is in order. That not being stupid and shooting yourself in the foot is in order.

anna.

but mostly it's the same
While reading some of the debates about religion and atheism, a lot of the focus seems to be on "belief" or "non-belief," which sometimes seems to go in circles. In this thread, I'm thinking of looking more in the sense of the practical function of religion in everyday life in modern society.

Even setting aside the question of "belief," let's just assume for the sake of argument that there really is some sort of intelligent higher power which created this place we live in - and created us to live here. My question would be: So what?

Even if that were true, why would that require us, as humans, to create a religion around it and worship whatever it is we think created us? What actual function does it serve for whatever deity or deities built this place? What practical use does it hold for humanity? Human minds have derived our own concepts of morality, so we didn't really need any god to tell us how to behave or what is good and what is evil.

I'm not completely dismissing some of the more positive aspects, at least in terms of charitable work, giving a helping hand to people in need or people going through various trials and tribulations in life. These are good things which do have beneficial aspects for society. But this is just people helping people - no higher power is really needed or required.

If we just live our lives and deal with the world as it is presented to us, then isn't that enough? Why can't we be atheists, even if there really is a god or gods or some other higher power? Why is a lack of belief such a horrible thing in the eyes of religious people? What's the worst thing that could happen?

I don't get involved much in religion/atheism discussions, but thought I'd offer an idea on your OP. Is it possible you're looking at religion with a 20th/21st century lens, without considering that for thousands of years, various religions ordered societies around the globe? Humans are moving beyond them now, but maybe (I'm not a historian) it's only with the benefit of human and scientific advancement that atheism is now compatible with modern society?

In history, as has already been mentioned here in various ways, religion provided cultural and legal structure, community, purpose and security, and it fostered learning, invention and creativity, among other things. Modern humans can find all these things via the secular now, but it wasn't always so. Look at the amazing wonders created by people who believed that what they were building was pleasing to their deity. I'm glad they exist, whether I believe in their deity or not.

MikeF

Premium Member
Religion seeks to provide a sense of meaning and, to quote Yi-Fu Tuan, a sense of placedness, while, over the centuries, serving as an important source of community -- although this latter function has been greatly diminished.

We can get lost quickly referring to Religion in it's broadest sense, as not all religions within this broad category have the exact same characteristics. While it may be said that some number of religions seek meaning, is meaning considered subjective and relative or somehow objective and universal? Is there any sense that the meaning sought be universal in some way and objectively true, or is the religion simply considered a tool to aid in the development of one's own personal and subjective sense of meaning?

Is it fair to say that some number of religions do not seek a sense of meaning, that they instead assign a meaning that in turn establishes placedness. In other words, at some point, for this set of religions, the seeking was deemed complete. In these instances, is this determined meaning and placedness considered to be universal and objectively true? If so, is it reasonable and appropriate to have that religion show its work in making its determination before one accepts and agrees to the claims of universal and objective meaning and placedness, and by extension its claims for how society as a whole should be structured and regulated?

To say that Religions seek a sense of meaning seems more of a platitude that a realistic description of Religions relationship to the concept of meaning.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

In a secular society, religion is a class of hobby and religion's function is to propagate itself.

... so it serves a similar function to MLMs, IMO.

Last edited:

☆Dreamwind☆

Good question. Beneficially it serves as a way to understand the world around us, and the divine's place in it.

More often then not unfortunately, it's just another tool of exerting social control. As if we didn't have enough of that already.

Tamino

Good idea. I think that religion and belief are two different things. One can exist without the other.
let's just assume for the sake of argument that there really is some sort of intelligent higher power which created this place we live in - and created us to live here. My question would be: So what?
So, would you want a relationship with this power? Either to thank it, or to convince it that it should leave you alone?

What actual function does it serve for whatever deity or deities built this place?
Depends on your concept of deity. Are they omnipotent or could they use our help? Are they interested or im interested in interacting with humans?
I worship gods that seem to be interested in me at least a bit.
What practical use does it hold for humanity? Human minds have derived our own concepts of morality, so we didn't really need any god to tell us how to behave or what is good and what is evil.
True, but shared cult practice and festivals help to keep a community connected with each other and the world.
But this is just people helping people - no higher power is really needed or required.
I agree. It's perfectly possible to organize charity and a caring community without involving any gods. Religion is an option here, not a requirement.
I am religious, but I am a bit ambiguous on the aspect of "belief" myself. My religion does not require it, neither in myself nor in others.
It's perfectly fine with me if other people live their lives in a peaceful and ethical way. Whether they want or have a relationship to any deity is up to them.

MikeF

Premium Member
In a secular society, religion is a class of hobby and religion's function is to propagate itself.

... so it serves a similar function to MLMs.

Excellent point. I do not think folks really acknowledge the self-perpetuation mechanisms incorporated in to many religious belief systems and institutions, nor do they appreciate their effectiveness in this regard, effectiveness that isn't tempered by any sense of continued utility in the doctrines perpetuated.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist

Practicality of religion would depend on the religion itself. Something to note is our views are always evolving. As one truth presents itself, it is adopted over time, which then helps us understand life more clearly. This is also true in religion, where one epiphany adds clarity to the doctrine or dogma. At one time, the bible was reserved for those with the education to comprehend and teach it. Left alone, without insight from other learned theologians and scientist, etc. it would become stagnate, but ... the ever-evolving nature of study does not allow for this type of stagnation. So, it's beneficial in relation to history, human psychology, sociology, and human politics. It's a worthwhile study, whether academic or not. Worship is in the eyes of those who worship. Honor, on the other hand would be more appropriate as it relates to acknowledging truths, whatever they may be. I can't think of any religion who champions lies, falsehoods, and deceit. Religion, like science, involves the search for truth and answers.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

... so it serves a similar function to MLMs.
This is an uncharitable viewpoint, given the number of religions and expressions of religions that are non-proselytic, don't have organizational hierarchies, and are perfectly cohabitable with secular societies. In fact most societies which are secular are secular *because* of the overwhelming majority of *religious people* who want it to be so.

Gotcha reductive generalizations like these just aren't it.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I think of religion/spirituality as being an emergent property of being conscious social creatures who live in environments/communities. There is nothing inherent in any of the component parts, but when brought together result in something that could not be foreseen by knowing details of those components.

At least, that's one alternative view.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Multi-level marketing, which are common in pyramid schemes. He's basically calling religion a scam in more flowery terms.
I don't consider MLMs to be scams, necessarily. I have friends who sell Tupperware and Avon; I don't consider either of them to be scammers.

...but MLMs have features that encourage growth to various degrees, and those features are analogous to what we find in religion to generally the same range of degrees.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This is an uncharitable viewpoint,

It's accurate.

given the number of religions and expressions of religions that are non-proselytic, don't have organizational hierarchies, and are perfectly cohabitable with secular societies. In fact most societies which are secular are secular *because* of the overwhelming majority of *religious people* who want it to be so.

Because secular societies are good for religion. It's a lot easier for one denomination to grow and thrive if they don't have to worry about competing denominations grabbing the levers of power and persecuting them.

Gotcha reductive generalizations like these just aren't it.

What do you think I got wrong, exactly?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

What I read is that your question was about religion but your post is about God. To your question Religion is a great benefit to individuals allowing them to exist in a harsh world and has some benefit to society. Without religion Psychiatrists and Therapists would never get any rest and still fall behind.

It your post about God. God is not needed other than to head the religion. For religion to work it cannot be based in reality but must have a spiritual source. God is simply the spiritual source for some religions.