• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Part of Your Religion or Worldview Brings You the Most Comfort or Reassurance?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What part of your religion or worldview brings you the most comfort or reassurance, be it a philosophy, doctrine, scriptural passage, or any other aspect of said religion or worldview?
The list is endless (nearly). But to your question, the passage that came to my mind is from Gita which is an answer to the question on why and how should one act in the world even when knowing that the effects of these actions will always be transient and double-edged. And why does God/Ultimate Reality have an active side at all?

He whose delight is only in the (Higher) Self,
Whose satisfaction is in the Self,
And who is content only in the Self;
For him the need to act does not exist.
Therefore, constantly unattached,
Perform that action which is your duty.

Indeed, by performing action while unattached,
Man attains the Supreme.
Perfection was attained by kings like Janaka
With action alone.
For the holding-together of the world,
You should act.

(For) Whatever the greatest man does,
Thus do the rest;
Whatever standard he sets,
The world follows that.
For Me (Krishna), 0 Arjuna,
there is nothing whatever
To be done in the three worlds,
Nor is there anything not attained
to be attained.
Nevertheless I engage in action.
Indeed, if I, unwearied, should not engage
In action at all,
Mankind would follow
My path everywhere, 0 Arjuna.
If I did not perform action,
These worlds would perish
And I would be the cause of confusion and chaos,
I would destroy these creatures.

(Thus)
While those who are unwise act
From attachment to action, 0 Arjuna,
So the wise should act without attachment,
Intending to maintain the welfare of the world.

(Hence)
Deferring all actions in Me,
Meditating on the supreme Spirit,
Having become free from desire
and selfishness,
With your fever departed, Act!

Ella S.

*temp banned*
None of it. My worldview is bleak and horrifying. It doesn't give me comfort or reassurance, only depression and anxiety. I'd willingly give it up if I could be convinced of a more pleasant alternative, but I've had this same worldview for years now despite trying my hardest to challenge it and get rid of it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
What part of your religion or worldview brings you the most comfort or reassurance, be it a philosophy, doctrine, scriptural passage, or any other aspect of said religion or worldview?
Lots of things come to mind, but I'll give one for practice, and one for philosophy. In practice, I love places that are calming ... have auras of peace, like my home shrine, or any Hindu temple (perhaps other than the very busy and touristy ones in India). Philosophically, the concept that all souls, with no exception, reach moksha, is reassuring and comforting.

Psalm23

‭John 14:1-3 KJV‬
[1] Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. [2] In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. [3] And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
To tell you the truth, I'm a little worried about having regrets as I get older. I often ask myself "Am I living the best I can? Am I making the most use of this life?" I guess in my worldview, the fact that I am thinking of those things might mean I'm not doing so bad after all.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Surely you mean Christianity.

Also, what Acts 24:15 really says: "and I have the same hope in God as these men themselves have, that there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked."
Thank you for posting the ^ above ^.
I don't know which version you are using but the King James says it is the just and unjust at Acts 24:15.
In the Greek/English Interlinear Translation it also is: just ones and unjust ones.
So,it is Not the wicked because the 'wicked are destroyed forever'.
- Psalm 37:38; Psalm 92:7; Psalm 104:35; Psalm 145:20; Proverbs 2:21-22
So, it is the resurrection of the righteous and unrighteous ones.
Remember the majority of mankind lived and died before Jesus died.
So, on Resurrection Day (Jesus' coming 1,000 year day) both the righteous and unrighteous will be resurrected.
Those of us alive at the soon coming 'time of separation' on Earth - Matthew 25:31-34,37 - the figurative 'sheep' can remain here to see calendar Day One of Jesus' thousand year reign over Earth with the opportunity to live forever on Earth because enemy death will be No more on Earth - 1st Corinthians 15:24-26; Isaiah 25:8

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
To tell you the truth, I'm a little worried about having regrets as I get older. I often ask myself "Am I living the best I can? Am I making the most use of this life?" I guess in my worldview, the fact that I am thinking of those things might mean I'm not doing so bad after all.
A man named David Susskind interviewed a doctor dealing with end of life.
He asked about the so-called death-bed repenting.
The doctor said No, rather people die with regrets.
A father that did Not make a dog house for his son.
A father that did Not make a doll house for his daughter.
... and so forth.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
None of it. My worldview is bleak and horrifying. It doesn't give me comfort or reassurance, only depression and anxiety. I'd willingly give it up if I could be convinced of a more pleasant alternative, but I've had this same worldview for years now despite trying my hardest to challenge it and get rid of it.
You're Not alone because the 'world view' goes from bad to worse - 2nd Timothy 3:1-5,13
In the Biblical view it 'goes from bad to best' -> 'Healing' coming for earth's nations - Revelation 22:2
In the prayer that God's will be done here on Earth as it is done in Heaven.....
In Heaven there is No bleak and horrifying crime, No violence, No war, No pollution in Heaven, No death is Heaven.
So, in the prayer we are asking for those same good-and-healthy heavenly conditions to come and exist on Earth.
Earthly conditions as described in Isaiah 35th chapter. A coming beautiful paradisical Earth for all to enjoy.
No one will say, " I am sick....." - Isaiah 33:24, and No one will die on Earth - 1st Corinthians 15:24-26; Isaiah 25:8

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
We sound similar here.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
This passage does:

3. O SON OF MAN!
Veiled in My immemorial being and in the ancient eternity of My essence, I knew My love for thee; therefore I created thee, have engraved on thee Mine image and revealed to thee My beauty.
(Baha'u'llah, The Arabic Hidden Words)

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
No comfort. The evil and the good both prosper, and suffer in the Earth. Nature has no grande plan. The only comfort I have is in virtues, and that the ideals of virtues is a worthy aspiration. There's no middle ground between virtue and vice. Existence itself proves that there is no justice in it, and no plan of action. You have to make life what it needs to be.