• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes you happy? Religion?

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Does religion provide your primary source of happiness? Should it? In the past, I felt that religion was the only way one could be truly happy.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Does religion provide your primary source of happiness? Should it? In the past, I felt that religion was the only way one could be truly happy.
I find that there is a difference between happiness and joy. Happiness is a temperature gauge where as joy is a thermostat.

Happiness depends on whether or not things are going good. "Today I'm happy because it was a wonderful day".

Joy is a state of being. Joy, for me, came through a relationship with my new Father--God.

Because of joy, I find myself happier even in the worst of times.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I suppose the short answer is yes, if you mean an ongoing rather than transitory thing. That's not to say my state of mind means I view the world through rose-tinted glasses.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
My children

My husband

Crawling in dank, dark caves to help excavate 25000 year old artifacts

Canoing, walking, (used to be cycling too)

Timing myself driving around a track and beating my best time previous time.

Forests, rivers, wildlife.

Life in general.

Despite religion being dominant in my early life it brought me nothing but pain, frustration and upset

idea

Question Everything
"Ever desireless, one can see the mystery; ever desiring,one only sees the manifestations. And the mystery itself is the doorway to all understanding."

Happiness, joy, peace, contentment - found through letting go of desire. For evil, "this too shall pass", for good, "this too shall pass".

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
No, religions often make me unhappy, as to so many negative things coming from some of them or from their followers. Given I have never voluntarily taken up any religion.

What tends to make me happy is the avoidance of issues that might make me unhappy, but given that I am now so old as to give up so many of the things that did make me happy, just staying reasonably healthy is enough, even if I am starting to notice the signs as to my mental health slowly deteriorating. :oops:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm happy when others are happy from an act of mine. Religion happens to be one context where that happens a lot. For example, as a volunteer landscaper, it makes me happy if someone comments on how nice the flowers are looking.