• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What made you think that you don't have free-will ?

chinu

chinu
I believe that humans have free will, but we cannot choose to do anything we want to do, since free will has many constraints.
Here is my view on free will:

I believe our choices are determined by our heredity and previous experiences, but that does not mean we do not make choices. Free will is simply the will/ability to make choices based upon our desires and preferences, which come from a combination of factors such as childhood upbringing, heredity, education, adult experiences, and present life circumstances. All of these are the reasons why we choose one thing or another.

How free our choices vary with the situation. Certainly, what we refer to as “free will” has many constraints such as ability and opportunity but we have volition as otherwise we could not do anything.

The fact that God is all-knowing, so God knows everything we are going to choose to do, has absolutely no bearing upon what we choose to do. Whatever choices we make will = the choice that God knew we would make because God knows what choices we will make, but God's knowledge does not limit our choices in any manner shape or form. That belief is completely illogical.

For example:
If we choose to wear a blue shirt this morning, God would have known we would choose to wear a blue shirt.
If we choose to wear a red shirt this morning, God would have known we would choose to wear a red shirt.
If we choose to wear a green shirt this morning, God would have known we would choose to wear a green shirt.

The fact that God knew which color of shirt we would choose had no bearing on our choice. We freely chose to wear the color we desired.
Simply tell me what is your WILL that you can’t ?

chinu

chinu
Our brain has been programmed to respond/choose things in a certain way.

Just like a cat, it doesn't really choose anything, its brain has been programmed to operate in a certain way to survive.

Human are the same but on a different level.
That is NOT programmed by someone/something else. That is — that human, or a cat thyself did something using free-will in the past.

Now both human and cat have free-will to do anything in the future.

Tell me what you are unable to do using your free-will ?

chinu

chinu
Because I bothered to study the work of philosophers that elaborated on the meaning of free will, rather than sticking to my previous layman understanding of the term.
You are mixing your free-will with your past-free-will.

You bothered — is your past free-will
You don’t want to bother — is your current free-will.

What made you think that free-will doesn’t change upon time to time ?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
You are mixing your free-will with your past-free-will.

You bothered — is your past free-will
You don’t want to bother — is your current free-will.

What made you think that free-will doesn’t change upon time to time ?

Because I studied.

chinu

chinu
There are plenty of things I cannot choose to do with my free will.
Because you are just the one-person, not many-persons, relatively free-will is also just one, not plenty/many at a time.

Choose one and come-up with.

Tell me what is your free-will that you can’t ?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Our brain has been programmed to respond/choose things in a certain way.

Just like a cat, it doesn't really choose anything, its brain has been programmed to operate in a certain way to survive.

Human are the same but on a different level.
Humans are more than animals so they have the capacity to operate on more than their instincts.
Humans have free will to make moral choices. Animals also make choices but they are instinctual (as you said, programmed).

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Why would god want to know what colour shirt you are going to wear? It just doesn't make any sense.
I did not say that God would want to know what color shirt I am wearing, I said God knows.
God knows what color shirt because God is all-knowing, so there is nothing that God doesn't know, not even trivial things.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I-WILL not-wait :)

I understand. Time is money, and nothing in life is free. There are always costs. Just like there's no such thing as a free lunch. The same could be said about WILL. You still have to pay for it, one way or the other. :)

Madsaac

That is NOT programmed by someone/something else. That is — that human, or a cat thyself did something using free-will in the past.

Now both human and cat have free-will to do anything in the future.

Tell me what you are unable to do using your free-will ?

It was programmed by evolution. Cat or thyself have ALWAYS made choices because of genetic makeup and ALWAYS will.

Free will helps animals navigate the environment safely, find food, find a mate and so on - and it does this with various reward mechanisms to make us happy or sad.

I can do anything I want because I have evolved a big brain (It's humans special organ) so we have greater knowledge, and greater understanding but there is nothing special about the human condition that gives us more ’freedom’.

Brian2

Veteran Member
In the begining you was one with God. Aparted from God and did the very first mistake.
Now - you have free-will to shout/yell.
Now - you have the free-will to undo mistakes.
Now - you have free-will for anything you want.

Dear, what made you think that you don't have free-will ? :)

Fate.

chinu

chinu
I understand. Time is money, and nothing in life is free. There are always costs. Just like there's no such thing as a free lunch. The same could be said about WILL. You still have to pay for it, one way or the other. :)
NO the same cannot be said about WILL.

Of course, every single thought is paid and the mode of payment is attention/time.

But, this cannot be said about WILL because one also has the free-will NOT to buy thought/s.

OP already says; you aparted from God is the very first mistake/thought that you did using your free-will :)