• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your short story or one sentence, Why Do You love God?

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
I can understand very well, because I'm fluent in ancient and modern Greek and can compare versions.
Paul, has written 3 different ways of salvation, i.e. by a) determinism b) faith alone (not by works, so that no one can boast) and c) by obeying the Law.
Paul's intention was to spread the new religion to as many Gentiles (and Jews) as possible, thus his epistles had a "gift" for everyone's beliefs , but his main bait was that faith alone saves, which caused a major disagreement with the disciples. Gentiles did not want Mosaic Law and rituals, so the "faith only saves" was welcomed by them.
"Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some." (Rom 9:19-22)
"But if through my lie God’s truth abounds to his glory, why am I still being condemned as a sinner?" (Rom 3:7)

Have you considered that you don't understand who Paul was?
This is one of the many passages of Paul that convinced me I'd rather listen to Billy Graham - there's less need of a toothpick.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
…b) faith alone….
Not to be picky, but the word “alone” is not employed in the verse.

Actually, as James (2:26) pointed out, both are needed. And Paul agreed with that. (Galatians 6:9,10) He realized a person could perform “works” with insincerity, “to boast”; but having faith is in the heart. Only God sees that. Though it becomes manifest to others, through our actions / works.

Take care.

Ajax

You know this how? What’s your reference?

You have this tendency to state your opinions as if they’re facts.
I gave it to you in the previous post.. Acts 4:13 "Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled" King James Bible

Last edited:

Ajax

Not to be picky, but the word “alone” is not employed in the verse.

Actually, as James (2:26) pointed out, both are needed. And Paul agreed with that. (Galatians 6:9,10) He realized a person could perform “works” with insincerity, “to boast”; but having faith is in the heart. Only God sees that. Though it becomes manifest to others, through our actions / works.

Take care.
Romans 3:28 "For we account a man to be justified by faith, without the works of the law."
Greek original (as far as it can be): "λογιζόμεθα οὖν πίστει δικαιοῦσθαι ἄνθρωπον χωρὶς ἔργων νόμου."

walt

Jesus is King & Mighty God Isa.9:6-7; Lk.1:32-33
“Love never fails.”—1 Cor. 13:8. :sparklingheart:

Now, however, these three remain: faith, hope, love; but the greatest of these is love. --1 Corinthians 13:13

Love does not work evil to one’s neighbor; therefore, love is the law’s fulfillment. --Romans 13:10

Last edited:

walt

Yahweh and Jehovah, and there are other pronunciations too. Pick the pronunciation you think is best and get started using it, is this a good idea? What if we forget what people have done in history, And we just focused on what the holy scriptures tell us to do?

Do we find evidence in the English, Aramaic and Hebrew Bibles?

Last edited:

walt

Luke 13:35
“Behold, your house is left to you desolate, for I say to you, you shall not see me until you will say, 'Blest is he who comes in the name of THE LORD JEHOVAH!'”
Aramaic Bible in Plain English

One of the very few times a Hebrew interlinear Bible Pronounces God's name in English. one says Yahweh the other says Jehovah.

יְהוָֹה / Gospel of Luke contains God's name in Hebrew 39 times. not the word Lord.
The New Testament written in Hebrew text. See link below for Hebrew text

הִנֵּה בֵיתְכֶם יֵעָזֵב לָכֶם (שָׁמֵם) וַאֲנִי אׂמֵר לָכֶם כִּי־רָאׂה לׂא תִרְאוּנִי עַד־בּוֹא הָעֵת אֲשֶׁר תּׂאמְרוּ בָּרוּךְ הַבָּא בְּשֵׁם יְהוָֹה׃
Luke 13:35 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate: and I say unto you, Ye shall not see me, until ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.

Luke 13:35 "Look and consider this – your house (or: House; = the Temple; or: household [a figure of the entire people]) is being progressively left and abandoned [other MSS add: {and} desolate – depopulated like a desert; cf Jer. 22:5] to you people (or: is habitually sent away because of you; or: is repeatedly forgiven for you folks)! So I am now saying to you folks that under no circumstances may you see Me, until you can (or: should; would) say, 'The One progressively coming in union with [the] Lord's Name [= in the authority of the Name of Yahweh] is One having been blessed with good words of ease and wellbeing!'" [Ps. 118:26] --JMNT Jonathan Mitchell New Testament

Luke 13:35 »Behold, your house is made desolate. I tell you, you shall not see me until you say blessed is he who comes in the name of Jehovah.« (Psalm 118:26)
--NSB New Simplified Bible

Last edited:

walt

Psalms 110:1 IHOT
1 H1732 לדוד of David. H4210 מזמור A Psalm H5002 נאם said H3068 יהוה The LORD H113 לאדני unto my Lord, H3427 שׁב Sit H3225 לימיני thou at my right hand, H5704 עד until H7896 אשׁית I make H341 איביך thine enemies H1916 הדם thy footstool. H7272 לרגליך׃ thy footstool.

H3068 יהוה and H113 [ אדון ] are two different words in Hebrew.

RamaRaksha

*banned*
Love a being that has never been seen, no evidence of any such being?
This "Love" for God comes with an expectation of a reward
Sing praises of the rich guy, hopefully he will throw us a bone - that is the mentality behind this "love"

walt

Why do the Hebrews speaking people, not remove God's personal name from their Hebrew Scriptures, Old Testament as well as New Testament? Most Hebrews have a tradition not to pronounce God's name, they pronounce the words Hashem, Adonai or Lord.

But they do not remove God's personal name from their Hebrew text like most everyone else does! Still Today [ יהוה ].
If you keep looking you will find the Divine Name written in Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic, Arabic, English and most every language in Scripture.

Last edited:

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Why do the Hebrews speaking people, not remove God's personal name from their Hebrew Scriptures, Old Testament as well as New Testament? Most Hebrews have a tradition not to pronounce God's name, they pronounce the words Hashem, Adonai or Lord.

But they do not remove God's personal name from their Hebrew text like most everyone else does! Still Today [ יהוה ].
If you keep looking you will find the Divine Name written in Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic, Arabic, English and most every language in Scripture.
In general, Walt, what I have seen in various and many Bibles is the fact that God's name is covered up by using a word like Lord, but is not from the earlier text, going along with tradition, not accuracy.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I gave it to you in the previous post.. Acts 4:13 "Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled" King James Bible
I’m sorry, I’ve been occupied with other matters….

That’s real good, that you use other Scriptures to support your Biblical points!

You know, the same thing was said about Jesus, @ John 7:15. The “schools” were rabbinical in nature, run by the scribes.
But it wouldn’t necessarily mean he would be illiterate.
In fact, in one of the first accounts of Jesus at a synagogue, he “read” from Isaiah.

I’ll offer more, later. Thanks.

Have a good day.

Last edited:

Ajax

I’m sorry, I’ve been occupied with other matters….

That’s real good, that you use other Scriptures to support your Biblical points!

You know, the same thing was said about Jesus, @ John 7:15. The “schools” were rabbinical in nature, run by the scribes.
But it wouldn’t necessarily mean he would be illiterate.
In fact, in one of the first accounts of Jesus at a synagogue, he “read” from Isaiah.

I’ll offer more, later. Thanks.

Have a good day.
Don't be sorry...
I always try to use scripture to "debunk" scripture, if needed..
As for Jesus, there are conflicting reports in the Gospels, but is irrelevant to our discussion regarding John's education.
John 7:15-16 reads "The Jews marveled at it, saying, “How is it that this man has learning, when he has never studied?” 16 So Jesus answered them, “My teaching is not mine, but his who sent me" Mark 6:2-4 also supports the idea that people at the time believed he was illiterate.. On the other hand Luke (4:16-21) writing about the same story as in Mark's, omits the Jewish doubts about Jesus' education and states that Jesus could read.
We will never find out the truth, although I'm inclined to think that Jesus was probably able to read, or at least was taught orally about the scriptures, as the vast majority of non-elite Jews were.
Have a good day too!

Last edited:

Ajax

The statement that Jesus has never studied does not equate to mean that he was illiterate.
The Greek (original) text reads" Πῶς οὗτος γράμματα οἶδε, μὴ μεμαθηκώς?"
meaning literally: "How does he know the letters, since he hasn't learned them?"
In any case, I wrote this because of Jesus' answer in bold.