• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is Your Religion or Worldview?

What is your religion or worldview?

• Total voters

Goodman John

I listed in the poll as 'Other' but this is only because my brand of Christianity isn't mainstream- it's neither Protestant nor Catholic. I am, in fact, delving into the largely extinct Cathar faith- it being a Manichaean/Gnostic expression of the Early Church. The Cathars, as most readers will know, were all but exterminated by the Church during the Albigensian Crusade of 1208 onward, and later by the Inquisition. Unfortunately, only a few actual records written by Cathars remain- having been destroyed or disappeared by the Church- and most of what we know today is derived from the records of the Inquisition (which are decidedly not at all sympathetic or even always truthful).

Kevin McCabe

I listed in the poll as 'Other' but this is only because my brand of Christianity isn't mainstream- it's neither Protestant nor Catholic. I am, in fact, delving into the largely extinct Cathar faith- it being a Manichaean/Gnostic expression of the Early Church. The Cathars, as most readers will know, were all but exterminated by the Church during the Albigensian Crusade of 1208 onward, and later by the Inquisition. Unfortunately, only a few actual records written by Cathars remain- having been destroyed or disappeared by the Church- and most of what we know today is derived from the records of the Inquisition (which are decidedly not at all sympathetic or even always truthful).
Sounds interesting. Tell us more.

Goodman John

Sounds interesting. Tell us more.

For a 'quick and dirty' introduction, the WIki provides a decent starting point. (SOURCE)

For a more in-depth look at Cathar practices, one may look at "Cathars and Cathar Beliefs in the Languedoc" (SOURCE) and a broader overview within the Gnostic framework may be found in the Gnostic Society Library under "Cathar Texts and Rituals" (SOURCE)

A book I have found that has been very helpful is The Lost Teachings of the Cathars by Andrew Smith (SOURCE)

More or less, without going in to huge detail, the Cathars tried to keep the spirit and practice of the Early Church alive- but those Christian practices were accompanied by the Manichaean/Gnostic ideas of God AND Satan (Good and Evil) being the principal spiritual forces in existence. Long story short, Satan warred against God, was defeated, and he created the physical realm (our universe and our world) in order to escape. Satan also took with him a number of spirits he captured from God as well as those he had seduced to his cause. He eventually created Man but in order to make him 'work' he had to place one of those spirits in him (which became our soul) at conception. In time powerful souls appeared in the mix (the Christ- the soul that resided in the body of Jesus of Nazareth- being the greatest of these) and they awoke us to our spiritual nature. Obviously, it is Satan's plan to discourage us and deceive us and lay traps in our path so he can remain in power. It is now upon us to reject the world of Satan and purify and strengthen our souls so they may escape the physical realm and return to God. If our soul is not redeemed- or 'saved' in common parlance- upon our death it awaits a new body and the cycle of purification/redemption begins again. When the number of redeemed souls equals the number of those remaining unredeemed, the physical realm will cease to exist, Satan will be forced back into the spiritual realm to await God's pleasure, and those unredeemed souls will either be destroyed or otherwise utterly separated from God's grace. So, it's in our best interest to get with the program and 'get right' so we get off this rock and back to God as soon as possible (you probably don't want to miss that last bus to Heaven).

How does this purifying and strengthening occur? At its most basic, it's recognizing that while we are IN this world we should not be OF it. Living a simple life, rejection of material things, being of service to others, devoting ourselves to God, and showing contempt for Satan and his works is a good start. These are largely taken from the example of the Apostles, and are now continued (after the Church saw its effectiveness with the Cathars) in the monastic Orders. (One might- and quite accurately- see the Cathars, at least the Elders, as 'monks without a monastery'. This includes Sisters as well, as the Cathars were famously equal-opportunity with regard to women being the equal of men, which absolutely scandalized the Church!)

The Cathars were a feature of medieval Europe, located primarily in the south of France, between the mid-12th to the mid-13th centuries. The Church, seeing the Cathars as a threat to their power (and rightly so) deemed them to be heretics and in 1208 the Pope launched the Albigensian Crusade during which thousands- if not millions- of Cathars were slaughteres along with any Christian who dared to help them. During the Crusade (and later with the Inquisition) the Church took great delight in offering its view of God's love and mercy to the Cathars by burning them alive, hundreds at a time. To their credit, few of the lower-ranked Believers recanted, and almost none of the Elders recanted- preferring to happily walk into the flames secure in the belief that their souls would be safe with God.

Obviously, there is much more to it than this poor attempt at a concise explanation- I invite you to visit those links I posted previously for a better (and much more scholarly) rendition of Cathar belief. As for myself, I am not trying to 'recreate' the Medieval Cathars- that would be impossible- but rather trying to adapt its teachings and world-view into the world of today as best I may.

Last edited:

Aurelius

Contemplating Living
I'm not sure if you could call my life philosophy religious or not. Hmmm

I don't have any strongly metaphysical positions.Logos isn't metaphysical for me, but how we're equipped to discern wisdom from nature and living.

Goodman John

I'm not sure if you could call my life philosophy religious or not. Hmmm

I don't have any strongly metaphysical positions.Logos isn't metaphysical for me, but how we're equipped to discern wisdom from nature and living.

Stoicism rocks- I wish more people would adopt its principles.

MeeraR

Hey guyz,

Hope you all good !
I became a Shiva devotee since june 2019.
I started the somwar vrat, i loved a guy and he wasn’t able to tell me his feelings so he used to tell im his friend.
My prayer was that this guyz gives me a positive answer, so i started somwar vrat on March 15th and on May 8th after i told my feelings to that guy ! I swear to god, i never thought i will be able and i didn’t even planned that! I was raining and all and i told him, the guy told me he needs time bc of caste pb and all.So i said do you need time? He sais yes give me some time ill convince my mom.
So i gave him space and then i went to the temple at shiv ling and prayed and tried to put two flowers, white will be positive red negative, the priest chose the white one.
A month later i went to temple and prayed, and asked Shiv Ji that if this guy is my destiny he should call me today, i went out of the temple in a restaurant, heard om namashivaya mantra and he called i was shocked.
After that we met but didnt talk about that.
Then my 16mondays ended.
I went to temple and prayed mata Parvathi and asked for a positive answer and a flower fall after i opened my eyes i was so surprised.
Till that day that guy didn’t talk to me.
After that i didnt understood anything bc it was like more than two months i didnt had any news abt him so i went to temple, the priest puts kumkum and vibuthi and prayed, he puts it on shiv Ling and then on Mata Parvathi (i pray the most) a baby pick the kumkum.
And after that i was convinced and started believeing whtever happens he will be back.
But after three months he erased me from social network two weeks ago and we talk abd he said he dont have any feelings for me...i was so lost...
But i understood it was bc of problems at home he said that, i dont know what to think after having all these signs from ShivJi......
Can you give me your explanation?

Notthedarkweb

Indian phil, German idealism, Rawls
Hello! I am Notthedarkweb. I am a Bengali who lives in Mumbai, a Shakta with an interest in tantras and Navya-Nyaya ontology (especially the relation of particulars to universals and vice versa). I consider myself a post-Rawlsian liberal, inspired by Sen, Nussbaum, Rorty and Kymlicka. Things I like: economics, philosophy, animal rights and literature. Things I don't like: not much but bigotry and people not open to different experiences, I would guess.

Linguister

Hi

I have been in and out of religion a couple of times in a tiresom journey.
My stand now is that there are 3 basic principles that are fundemental to any true religion: morally perfect God, Judgement Day, life is a merely a test of our choices.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi

My stand now is that there are 3 basic principles that are fundemental to any true religion: morally perfect God, Judgement Day, life is a merely a test of our choices.
Noahidism? Islam?

MonkeyFire

I dont practice a religion, but I do practice religon itself. I teach that religion is kept by groundhogs by using their sense to see fire.

Last edited:

dfnj

I apologize in advance if your religion isn't listed, as the software limits polls to ten choices. I did my best to name the most widely practiced.

If your religion, belief system, or worldview is not listed, feel free to select 'other' and post below. Also, there are many religions or traditions that fall under the the umbrella term in the poll, so feel free to be as specific as you like.

Also, this poll will not close, so if your beliefs evolve and you wish to change your affiliation, you are free to do so.

Mines an "Other". You can look at my posts.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Hi

I haven't found any perfect gods yet. So much like humans.

Audie

Veteran Member
I apologize in advance if your religion isn't listed, as the software limits polls to ten choices. I did my best to name the most widely practiced.

If your religion, belief system, or worldview is not listed, feel free to select 'other' and post below. Also, there are many religions or traditions that fall under the the umbrella term in the poll, so feel free to be as specific as you like.

Also, this poll will not close, so if your beliefs evolve and you wish to change your affiliation, you are free to do so.

Other. A.I.R.

Linguister

I haven't found any perfect gods yet. So much like humans.

Where do you expect to find a god? For me, I lost hope in any institutionalized religion, they're all political in one way or another. I believe that the intricate and complex systems in nature, and the beauty of it, point to a creative and beautiful God. I just can't accept the idea that all this magnificent universe is a result of random unconscious chance.