• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your favorite religious book?

Dena

I really like Telushkin's Jewish Literacy.

I also liked The Wisdom of Judaism: An Introduction to Talmud. It's very simple and easy to understand. Anyone could read it.

I also really liked Living a Joyouse Life: The True Spirit of Jewish Practice by Rabbi David Aaron. I didn't like another of his books I tried to read.

The Sabbath by Heschel is of course fantastic.

How to Run a Traditional Jewish Household by Blu Greenberg was good too. Obviously directed at Jewish women.

Last year around Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur I read a book called This is Real and You are Completely Unprepared. I wanted to read it again this year but I didn't buy it so I may not get it in time.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Either the Principia Discordia or the Satanic Bible, but the latter is mostly rehash of existentialist and nihilist philosophy.

Skwim

Veteran Member
234ews.jpg

It turned my thinking around.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
A few favorites...

A History of God: The 4,000-Year Quest of Judaism, Christianity and Islam
, Karen Armstrong.

The Age of Reason; Being an Investigation of True and Fabulous Theology, Thomas Paine

The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth (The Jefferson Bible), Thomas Jefferson

I like the Bhagavad Gita, and all religious Scriptures, frankly (Guru Granth Sahib, the Bible, which I grew up with [American Standard Version], the Qur'an, the Baha'i Writings, and even our Chaitanya Charitamrta, the Pureland Sutras, the Book of Mormon, etc.).

The book I like the most is called the Sri Sri Prapanna-jivanamrtam, which is a compilation of all the Vedic Scriptures giving the essence of bhakti yoga and surrender to Krishna, compiled by my shiksha guru, Srila Sridhar Maharaj. You can find it online for free as well. :)

Levite

Higher and Higher
Me'or Enayim, by R. Menachem Nachum of Chernobyl (18th century): he was the foremost student of the Baal Shem Tov (founder of Hasidism), and this book is his magnum opus of Torah insight.

Sefer Yetzirah. This is the primary work of pre-Zoharic Kabbalah, and probably dates from some time between 850 and 1100 CE.

Man's Quest for God, by R. Abraham Joshua Heschel. His small but amazing book on the philosophy of Jewish prayer.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Satanic Bible was the best I've read so far, otherwise I only own the Tao Teh Ching, Analects, and another couple. The other two are also good.