• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your favorite biblical quote?

Scott1

Sirach 2:
1. My son, when you come to serve the LORD, prepare yourself for trials.
2. Be sincere of heart and steadfast, undisturbed in time of adversity.

apocolyps will happen june 2012 (its a bit hidden in it but if you can decrypt the code you will see it is in there :)

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
apocolyps will happen june 2012 (its a bit hidden in it but if you can decrypt the code you will see it is in there :)
lovely.
Yet ANOTHER prediction of the unpredictable event...:rolleyes:

Smoke

Done here.
lovely.
Yet ANOTHER prediction of the unpredictable event...:rolleyes:
Well, the advantage of always daring to predict the end of the world is that eventually somebody will be right. In the meantime, the rest of us can enjoy the spectacle of almost all of them being wrong. :)

idea

Question Everything
Which group gets to decide what that is since none of us were there when it was written and can't ask the authors?

Even the people who were there when it was written – who could read the original unaltered text in their own language had problems fully understanding it – have we learned the lesson of the scribes and the Pharisees? True understanding does not come entirely from a book – it comes from actions / work not just faith, from experiences gained through actually following the commandments, from the Holy Spirit, from personal revelations…

There are multiple meanings to each scripture - not just one. They are symbolic parables, not allegories. In an allegory, the author assigns meaning to the symbols, and so each symbol has only one meaning, and the meaning is already defined. In one sense there is no reason to write anything as an allegory, best for the author to just state facts plainly to being with if their sole intent is nothing more than to burden readers with the limited perspective of one person. A parable is a work in which no symbol has only one meaning, and one in which the entire picture can only be seen through the combined eyes of many creators.

as far as relying on the Bible alone -

“If one man can live upon the revelations given to another, might not I with propriety ask, why the necessity, then, of the Lord speaking to Isaac as he did, as is recorded in the 26th chapter of Genesis? For the Lord there repeats, or rather promises again, to perform the oath which he had previously sworn unto Abraham. And why this repetition to Isaac? Why was not the first promise as sure for Isaac as it was for Abraham? Was not Isaac Abraham’s son? And could he not place implicit confidence in the word of his father as being a man of God? Perhaps you may say that he was a very peculiar man and different from men in these last days; consequently, the Lord favored him with blessings peculiar and different, as he was different from men in this age. I admit that he was a peculiar man and was not only peculiarly blessed, but greatly blessed. But all the peculiarity that I can discover in the man, or all the difference between him and men in this age, is that he was more holy and more perfect before God and came to him with a purer heart and more faith than men in this day.
“The same might be said on the subject of Jacob’s history. Why was it that the Lord spake to him concerning the same promise after he had made it once to Abraham and renewed it to Isaac? Why could not Jacob rest contented upon the word spoken to his fathers?
“When the time of the promise drew nigh for the deliverance of the children of Israel from the land of Egypt, why was it necessary that the Lord should begin to speak to them? The promise or word to Abraham was that his seed should serve in bondage and be afflicted four hundred years, and after that they should come out with great substance. Why did they not rely upon this promise and, when they had remained in Egypt in bondage four hundred years, come out without waiting for further revelation, but act entirely upon the promise given to Abraham that they should come out? …
“… I may believe that Enoch walked with God. I may believe that Abraham communed with God and conversed with angels. I may believe that Isaac obtained a renewal of the covenant made to Abraham by the direct voice of the Lord. I may believe that Jacob conversed with holy angels and heard the word of his Maker, that he wrestled with the angel until he prevailed and obtained a blessing. I may believe that Elijah was taken to heaven in a chariot of fire with fiery horses. I may believe that the saints saw the Lord and conversed with him face to face after his resurrection. I may believe that the Hebrew church came to Mount Zion and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels. I may believe that they looked into eternity and saw the Judge of all, and Jesus, the Mediator of the new covenant.
“But will all this purchase an assurance for me, or waft me to the regions of eternal day with my garments spotless, pure, and white? Or, must I not rather obtain for myself, by my own faith and diligence in keeping the commandments of the Lord, an assurance of salvation for myself? And have I not an equal privilege with the ancient saints? And will not the Lord hear my prayers and listen to my cries as soon as he ever did to theirs if I come to him in the manner they did?”5

from link

Well, the advantage of always daring to predict the end of the world is that eventually somebody will be right. In the meantime, the rest of us can enjoy the spectacle of almost all of them being wrong. :)

We are told that we will not know the hour or day - it states nothing about not knowing the month or year... personally, I am more inclined to go with Issac Newton's predictions - nothing exciting until after 2060 :)

Math 24:36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

J/K of course :p

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
Heb 11:1
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen

Col 4:6
Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man

:) Charity

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
My favorite verse seems to be Jesus' favorite too. At least, he quoted it more than any other:

"I desire mercy and not sacrifice."

Scott C.

Just one guy
Acts 3:6

"Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk."

This verse, and those right before and after, always give me goose bumps. This lame man was only asking for a little money. Peter had something much more valuable to offer. He had no money, but gave what he had. The man was healed and praised God. Seriously, it almost makes me cry every time I read it.

nawab

My favorite quotes from the Bible are these

Matthew 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments

Acts 2: 22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:

Jobs 25:4-6 How then can man be justified with God? or how can he be clean that is born of a woman? Behold even to the moon, and it shineth not; yea, the stars are not pure in his sight. How much less man, that is a worm? and the son of man, which is a worm?

Matthew 5:17-20 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach [them], the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed [the righteousness] of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Smoke

Done here.
We are told that we will not know the hour or day - it states nothing about not knowing the month or year... personally, I am more inclined to go with Issac Newton's predictions - nothing exciting until after 2060 :)
Because Newton was an extraordinary genius who revolutionized physics, astronomy and mathematics, people often forget that he was also a little crazy. :)

rasor

I really like this one

1Tim 2:11-12

11Let a woman* learn in silence with full submission. 12I permit no woman* to teach or to have authority over a man;* she is to keep silent

rasor

Here's another one I like

Ex 21:20-21

20 When a slave-owner strikes a male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies immediately, the owner shall be punished. 21But if the slave survives for a day or two, there is no punishment; for the slave is the owner’s property.

rasor

This one is quite good as well

Ex 35:2

2 For six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day you shall have a holy sabbath of solemn rest to the Lord; whoever does any work on it shall be put to death.

rasor

This one is quite interesting as well

When the LORD your God brings you into the land you are about to enter and occupy, he will clear away many nations ahead of you: the Hittites, Girga****es, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites, and Jebusites. These seven nations are all more powerful than you. When the LORD your God hands these nations over to you and you conquer them, you must completely destroy them. Make no treaties with them and show them no mercy. Do not intermarry with them, and don't let your daughters and sons marry their sons and daughters. They will lead your young people away from me to worship other gods. Then the anger of the LORD will burn against you, and he will destroy you. (Deuteronomy 7:1-4 NLT)

Goood

Though we don't believe this bible to be the word of god given to jesus (pbuh) yet it may contain word of god,the only way to know is to check it with quran
Quran says jesus (and all prophits) is a muslim (arabic=submit the self will to all mighty god's will, required with peace)

jhon 5:30
"I can of my own self do nothing,as i hear i judge and my judgement is just because i seek not my will but the will of my father who sent me"
any one who seeks not his will but seeks the god's will in arabic is called as a muslim.