• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your favorite biblical quote?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I think I'll rely on my own logic, reason and experience. But thanks.

I still like James 2:14-18 though. It speaks to the social action side of my faith.

Faint

sparkyluv said:
Ever heard of an exhaustive concordance? It's a big ole expensive book (as if anything biblical is cheap anyway:rolleyes: ) that has every single word in the bible in it. Don't know what the word means? Curious as to what the writer meant by that word? Look up that word. Next to that word you will find a number. That number will lead you to the back of the book that has - here it comes - the original greek or hebrew word. I use a NIV Concordance. You can find one for all versions of the bible. If the historical context of the passage confuses you, get a bible handbook (I strongly recommend Zondervan)
Well at least now we know what you single, solitary source is for your Biblical interpretation. To the best of my knowledge, the NIV is one of the worst translations, and that it is unwise to base one's Biblical opinions on it. But maybe someone else here can confirm that.

sparkyluv said:
What did Jesus mean by Moses and the snake? Hmm...I KNOW! I should get a study bible with those nifty little cross references in the middle. With that you will see that the random mention of Moses and the Snake refers to a passage in Numbers 21. Not convinced? We'll use the concordance. The orignal word for snake, as used in John 3:14, is ophis which means snake or serpent (and I believe NKJV uses the word serprent). The original word for lifted, as used in John 3:14, is hypsoo which means to lift up, elevate, or exalt. And if I remember correctly, Moses had exalted the snake. Jesus means that the same way that Moses's snake was exalted, he too shall be exalted.
I'm glad you

sparkyluv said:
No. You don't read the bible with reason as an atheist would. That's why most atheists don't get the bible in the first place. If you approach it blind, then you're not going to really see it. If you approach it close-minded, then it's your own fault that the bible seems unreasonable. If you approach it with a hard heart, a notion set in your mind, and a goal in hand then you're not going to get anywhere.
I hope you're not implying I'm an atheist. I'm closer to agnostic if I can be defined at all. :cool:
Hmmm...I would say that your "faith" is more of a blindness than the logical analysis I'm advocating.
Anyway, what's your definition of open-mindedness? Throwing reason aside, lowering one's memetic immunity so that you simply absorb and accept any religious text unquestioningly? I know you don't like to use reason, but some of us find it useful. It's wiser to be skeptical of outrageous claims especially when those claims have little relation to the observable events/processes/science of the real world. If you make some wild assertion that the supernatural created and governs this universe, as a reasonable person I'm going to of course have "a notion set in [my] mind" that you're off your rocker. If you can prove this to me, and maybe to scientist in some peer review journals...then good for you, and I'll consider your beliefs. But the truth is I have studied your book extensively and found it wanting...all because I didn't throw reason aside.

Faint

sparkyluv said:
It doesn't matter which translation you use cause they all say the same thing and mean the same thing.
This of course is wrong:
NIV
6 Lot went outside to meet them and shut the door behind him 7 and said, "No, my friends. Don't do this wicked thing. 8 Look, I have two daughters who have never slept with a man. Let me bring them out to you, and you can do what you like with them. But don't do anything to these men, for they have come under the protection of my roof."

KJV
6And Lot went out at the door unto them, and shut the door after him,
7And said, I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly.
8Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes: only unto these men do nothing; for therefore came they under the shadow of my roof.

ESV
6Lot went out to the men at the entrance, shut the door after him, 7and said, "I beg you, my brothers, do not act so wickedly. 8Behold, I have two daughters who have not known any man. Let me bring them out to you, and do to them as you please. Only do nothing to these men, for they have come under the shelter of my roof."

(aaaaand…)

NIV
13 "You shall not murder.

KJV
13Thou shalt not kill.

sparkyluv

jewscout said:
so the use of christians taking verses from Jewish scripture out of context and applying new meaning to them to justify the Messiahship or Divinity of Jesus is wrong in your opinion?
When were they taken out of context and how (you've got to be more specific)? There is old testament scripture that justifies Jesus's divinity (prophecy, if that's what you're talking about). It's in Deuteronomy, Isaiah, Micah, Zechariah, Jeremiah, Psalm, and I think Genesis and Daniel.

I'm against anyone taking any kind of holy scripture out of context, if that's what you mean.

sparkyluv

Faint said:
This of course is wrong:
NIV
6 Lot went outside to meet them and shut the door behind him 7 and said, "No, my friends. Don't do this wicked thing. 8 Look, I have two daughters who have never slept with a man. Let me bring them out to you, and you can do what you like with them. But don't do anything to these men, for they have come under the protection of my roof."

KJV
6And Lot went out at the door unto them, and shut the door after him,
7And said, I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly.
8Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes: only unto these men do nothing; for therefore came they under the shadow of my roof.

ESV
6Lot went out to the men at the entrance, shut the door after him, 7and said, "I beg you, my brothers, do not act so wickedly. 8Behold, I have two daughters who have not known any man. Let me bring them out to you, and do to them as you please. Only do nothing to these men, for they have come under the shelter of my roof."

(aaaaand…)

NIV
13 "You shall not murder.

KJV
13Thou shalt not kill.
No duh, the wording is different. That's not what I meant.

You shall not murder and Thou shalt not kill mean exactly the same thing.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
sparkyluv said:
When were they taken out of context and how (you've got to be more specific)? There is old testament scripture that justifies Jesus's divinity (prophecy, if that's what you're talking about). It's in Deuteronomy, Isaiah, Micah, Zechariah, Jeremiah, Psalm, and I think Genesis and Daniel.

I'm against anyone taking any kind of holy scripture out of context, if that's what you mean.

i think that's a discussion for another thread....i think we should try to remain on topic as the thread has already deviated a great deal

Jane D.

"If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity."
Deuteronomy 25:11-12

"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses."
Ezekiel 23:20

"If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the girl's virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her father's house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death"
Deuteronomy 22:20-21

sparkyluv

Faint said:
Well at least now we know what you single, solitary source is for your Biblical interpretation. To the best of my knowledge, the NIV is one of the worst translations, and that it is unwise to base one's Biblical opinions on it. But maybe someone else here can confirm that.

I'm glad you

I hope you're not implying I'm an atheist. I'm closer to agnostic if I can be defined at all. :cool:
Hmmm...I would say that your "faith" is more of a blindness than the logical analysis I'm advocating.
Anyway, what's your definition of open-mindedness? Throwing reason aside, lowering one's memetic immunity so that you simply absorb and accept any religious text unquestioningly? I know you don't like to use reason, but some of us find it useful. It's wiser to be skeptical of outrageous claims especially when those claims have little relation to the observable events/processes/science of the real world. If you make some wild assertion that the supernatural created and governs this universe, as a reasonable person I'm going to of course have "a notion set in [my] mind" that you're off your rocker. If you can prove this to me, and maybe to scientist in some peer review journals...then good for you, and I'll consider your beliefs. But the truth is I have studied your book extensively and found it wanting...all because I didn't throw reason aside.
Logical analysis is not open-mindedness. Believing in reason and logic is not open-mindedness. Approaching anything with a brick wall around your faith or lack thereof is not open-mindedness. Being a so-called freethinker is not open-mindedness. Any belief system that henders faith and belief is not open-mindedness. If anything it's close-minded to the fullest. You won't let yourself believe anything different because you're stuck in a blind faith called "logic and reason". You've put yourself in a closet and locked the key. Honestly, I'd rather be an off the rocker Christian who is open to pure faith than a close-minded agnostic who won't let themselves believe anything outside their own understanding because "logic and reason" say so. You say you've studied my book, but I don't think you've touched the core of it because you're still stuck in blind "logic and reason". What doesn't make sense to you or seems weird to you scares you and you let that fear block you from even trying to think differently. The way you write, you sound like you're always on the defensive and where's the freedom in that? I don't have to defend my faith to you nor do I have to prove God exists to you. My job isn't to proove anything to you, that's God's job. I know what I have experienced and I know my faith and that's enough.

about your other comment. I've heard that assumption (about NIV) before and I've also heard that about NKJV. The truth is that people will argue and argue and argue to the death which version is best and which isn't. Some versions take some stuff out others add. The grammer is always different in all versions. That's why you get a study bible cause most will tell you what's left out (at least mine does). First hand, I can tell you that 'The Message' translation is NOT GOOD. I do NOT recommend reading that one. I use NIV because I was looking for a study bible and I found the NIV study bible for cheap at Wal-Mart. If you've ever bought a good bible, you will know that they are BEYOND expensive. If I'm not using my NIV, I use my NKJV (which I enjoy reading better). But the one I study with is my NIV cause it has cross references, good footnotes, and mini concordance in the back and I have an exhaustive NIV concordance. KJV (which I do have also) is probably the better version to because it's closest to the original text, but it can be hard to read. There's not a BEST version.

If you wanna discuss it more, PM me and we can talk there cause we're already WAY off topic!!!

uu_sage

Micah 6: 8
"He has told you, O mortal, what is good;
and what does the Lord require of you
but to do justice, and to love kindness,
and to walk humbly with your God?"
Ecclesiastes 3:2-8
Awesome poetry, great song by the Byrds and Pete Seeger
Luke 10:25-28
Luke 10:29-37 Good Samaritan
Amos 5:24 "But let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness
like an everflowing stream"
Matthew 5 and Gospel of Thomas Sermon on the Mount/Beattitudes
Luke 15:11–32 Prodigal Son
Philippians 4:8
Isaiah 58:6-7

Plenty more verses are my favorites but don't want to waste too much space. It took me a long while before I could start appreciating and reading the Bible again mostly because I was raised in a tradition where the Bible was used as a form of oppression rather than a source of renewal and enlightenment. So now after much study and contemplation I now feel comfortable claiming the Bible as a religious liberal.

Jesusowns

Philippians 4:6-7

Do not be anxious about anything, But in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of god, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Isaiah 41:10

"So do not fear, for I am with you; Do not be dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous hand"

James 1:12

"Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved he will recieve the crown of life, which the lord has promised to those who love Him"

1 Corinthians 10:13

"No temptation has siezed you except what is common to man. And God is faithful, He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bare, But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so you can stand up under it."

NIV

may

favourite bible quotes .............. matthew 24;14And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come. and Daniel 2;44
And in the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be brought to ruin. And the kingdom itself will not be passed on to any other people. It will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms, and it itself will stand to times indefinite;
(Matthew 6:10) Let your kingdom come. Let your will take place, as in heaven, also upon earth.
(John 18:36) Jesus answered: "My kingdom is no part of this world. If my kingdom were part of this world, my attendants would have fought that I should not be delivered up to the Jews. But, as it is, my kingdom is not from this source.
(Psalm 2:6) [Saying:] "I, even I, have installed my king Upon Zion, my holy mountain.".............LOL it seems all of my favourite verses are connected to the kingdom , and i am sure that no one is surprised about that .:D

"But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth." Matt. 6:3

I tend to adopt this (and its opposite) as modus operandi rather than just advice on charity.

may

Another of my favourite verses is psalm 83;18
That people may know that you, whose name is Jehovah,​

You alone are the Most High over all the earth.

cardero

Citizen Mod
“Hear, ye children, the instruction of a father, and attend to know understanding.”
-- Proverbs 4:1

cardero

Citizen Mod
“God's Word is true and abides forever, and no man or any human organization will ever come close to this. Man's word passes away; God's does not.”
– (1 Peter 1:24-25).

may

Another of my favourite verses is this one , matthew 24;45-47 Who really is the faithful and discreet slave whom his master appointed over his domestics, to give them their food at the proper time? 46 Happy is that slave if his master on arriving finds him doing so. 47 Truly I say to YOU, He will appoint him over all his belongings.
this verse is referring to the faithful ones that Jesus gives great responsibility too, and it is happening right now in the times that we are living in.Jesus uses a channel to feed his sheep .

PHOTOTAKER

jer 1:5 "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee"

i like this verse, it tells me that life begain way befor we were born and i find it conferiting...

may

This verse i think tells us that Jehovah knows the DNA of all of us , so it will be no big deal to Jehovah to ressurect us back to life .
Your eyes saw even the embryo of me,
And in your book all its parts were down in writing,
As regards the days when they were formed​
And there was not yet one among them.........psalm 139 ;16 yes everything is down in his memory, he knows just how we are made up. he knows our DNA

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
An interesting one is Genesis 32:27 ...
Then he said, "Let me go, for dawn is breaking." But he answered, "I will not let you go, unless you bless me."
... particularly in the context of Deuteronomy 32:8. :)