• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your favorite biblical quote?

sparkyluv

Faint said:
I agree with this...whoever wrote the Bible likely had a specific agenda/meme complex that he (she?) was trying to convey. However, unless you talk to the original author it's foolish to think that YOU know what that meaning was. For all you know scripture is all just an elaborate prank, or a marketing tool created by some ancient company that sold little tiny crucifixes.

All people can do these days is debate what they think the text means. And which interpretation is correct? Who knows. The best bet is to read the translation in context and use reason to decipher...but be warned, once you start looking at the Bible reasonably you will likely find a great deal of it unreasonable.
How is it foolish to know and understand the Word of God? It's foolish to make a new meaning for something because you either (a) don't know the original meaning or (b) don't agree with it. Yes, I know what that verse means, it's not rocket science. It's not that hard to interpret the bible. Besides, you don't read the bible with reason, you read it with faith and a humble heart. The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God (1 Cor 1:18). If you approach it with reason then, no, you're not going to get it. You're going to come out with mixed feelings.

Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life. For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son
John 3:14-18
You can't look at that and say, "Well, there are a thousand ways to interpret the bible..." Because that's crap and it's foolish thinking. It's not hard to get what Jesus is saying. It's pretty simple. The bible is not as complex and complicated as people think it is.

sparkyluv

tlcmel said:
I didn't even know about this verse, correct me if I'm wrong but it says the word "rebuking" which essentially means that we would 'question' the bible right? So that explains why so many of us have different interpretations I guess.
Not quite lol. Using the scripture to rebuke, Not rebuking the scripture.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
sparkyluv said:
What's that got to do with anything? The fact still remains that Jesus was talking about himself in John 3:16, whether you agree with it or not.
What you suggested --that the bible must be read with only one interpretation allowed --is fundamentalism.

Hacker

sparkyluv said:
1 Timothy 3:16-17 ---> "All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

sparkyluv said:
Not quite lol. Using the scripture to rebuke, Not rebuking the scripture.
Yes, which means if one is to 'use the scripture to rebuke' means that people are going to question it or that would mean that there is going to be some uncertainty...which means that the bible is quesitonable until one uses the scripture to make it clear.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Willamena said:
What you suggested --that the bible must be read with only one interpretation allowed --is fundamentalism.

If we're not fundementalist, are we even allowed to read the Bible since we're obviously going to get it wrong?

sparkyluv

Willamena said:
Then be a fundamentalist if you plan on quoting and claiming scripture. You can't make up meanings and twist words around to fit what you believe or what you think it should mean. There are several methods when it comes to interpreting the bible, but once you get down to it there's only one meaning behind it.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
sparkyluv said:
Then be a fundamentalist if you plan on quoting and claiming scripture. You can't make up meanings and twist words around to fit what you believe or what you think it should mean. There are several methods when it comes to interpreting the bible, but once you get down to it there's only one meaning behind it.
I respect your fundamentalist views; I only regret that they do not allow you to respect other's views.

Hacker

sparkyluv said:
You can't make up meanings and twist words around to fit what you believe or what you think it should mean.
Well unfortnately that IS the case which explains why there are SO many denominations and subdivisions under Christianity. Then if you are so correct about your interpretation of the bible, then tell me why bible scholars that study the bible for YEARS usually have their own interpretation of it which may differ from your view or many other's, what makes your interpretation so right?:)

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
sparkyluv said:
There are several methods when it comes to interpreting the bible, but once you get down to it there's only one meaning behind it.
Which group gets to decide what that is since none of us were there when it was written and can't ask the authors?

sparkyluv

tlcmel said:
Yes, which means if one is to 'use the scripture to rebuke' means that people are going to question it or that would mean that there is going to be some uncertainty...which means that the bible is quesitonable until one uses the scripture to make it clear.
Rebuke in that sentence means reproof, and that's (in the best way that I can explain it) basically letting people know when they sin.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
sparkyluv said:
Like I said, it's not that hard to figure it out.
The fundamentalists? The Catholics? The Unitarians? The Mormons?

Also, I can't read Greek or Hebrew so I have to rely on the English translations and interpretations of others. Tell me, whose interpretation do you use?

Faint

Maize said:
Which group gets to decide what that is since none of us were there when it was written and can't ask the authors?
Exactly.

sparkyluv said:
How is it foolish to know and understand the Word of God? It's foolish to make a new meaning for something because you either (a) don't know the original meaning or (b) don't agree with it. Yes, I know what that verse means, it's not rocket science. It's not that hard to interpret the bible. Besides, you don't read the bible with reason, you read it with faith and a humble heart. The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God (1 Cor 1:18). If you approach it with reason then, no, you're not going to get it. You're going to come out with mixed feelings.
You don't read with reason? How do understand ANYTHING then? Some kind of deist decoder ring? Seriously, explain how this long-term suspension of disbelief allows you to function in the world. How can you live using reason one minute (to stay alive for instance...not drinking bleach, walking off of cliffs, trying to "phase" through oncoming traffic, etc.) and then throw reason aside when reading this book? Does that make sense in your mind? Explain why reason should be avoided in ANY situation.
sparkyluv said:
"Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life. For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son
John 3:14-18"

You can't look at that and say, "Well, there are a thousand ways to interpret the bible..." Because that's crap and it's foolish thinking. It's not hard to get what Jesus is saying. It's pretty simple. The bible is not as complex and complicated as people think it is.
First, this sample quote isn't written in the original language of the Bible, so it has already been interpreted into an English context. Now you must figure out how to interpret the interpretation. How do you know the snake is not symbolic? Maybe the snake being "lifted" is Moses' penis (like an erection) for a special someone ("son of man"...maybe a boy he liked, pederasty and all that) in that he can share him with others in some kind of primative orgy? Perhaps "eternal life" is ancient slang for "getting it on"? How would you know? My point is words have value so long as their true meaning is understood (as words are only symbols anyway). You may want to research the concept of "Theory of Mind". As humans, the best we can do is try to understand (interpret) what the author meant, but that's difficult as he/she/they have been long dead, and part of an ancient culture with ways very different from our own.

sparkyluv

Maize said:

Also, I can't read Greek or Hebrew so I have to rely on the English translations and interpretations of others. Tell me, whose interpretation do you use?
Get a concordance.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
getting back to the point of the OP...

Know therefore that HaShem thy G-d, He is G-d; the faithful G-d, who keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love Him and keep His commandments to a thousand generations; Deut. 7:9

sparkyluv

Faint said:
You don't read with reason? How do understand ANYTHING then? Some kind of deist decoder ring? Seriously, explain how this long-term suspension of disbelief allows you to function in the world. How can you live using reason one minute (to stay alive for instance...not drinking bleach, walking off of cliffs, trying to "phase" through oncoming traffic, etc.) and then throw reason aside when reading this book? Does that make sense in your mind? Explain why reason should be avoided in ANY situation.

First, this sample quote isn't written in the original language of the Bible, so it has already been interpreted into an English context. Now you must figure out how to interpret the interpretation. How do you know the snake is not symbolic? Maybe the snake being "lifted" is Moses' penis (like an erection) for a special someone ("son of man"...maybe a boy he liked, pederasty and all that) in that he can share him with others in some kind of primative orgy? Perhaps "eternal life" is ancient slang for "getting it on"? How would you know? My point is words have value so long as their true meaning is understood (as words are only symbols anyway). You may want to research the concept of "Theory of Mind". As humans, the best we can do is try to understand (interpret) what the author meant, but that's difficult as he/she/they have been long dead, and part of an ancient culture with ways very different from our own.
Ever heard of an exhaustive concordance? It's a big ole expensive book (as if anything biblical is cheap anyway:rolleyes: ) that has every single word in the bible in it. Don't know what the word means? Curious as to what the writer meant by that word? Look up that word. Next to that word you will find a number. That number will lead you to the back of the book that has - here it comes - the original greek or hebrew word. I use a NIV Concordance. You can find one for all versions of the bible. If the historical context of the passage confuses you, get a bible handbook (I strongly recommend Zondervan)

What did Jesus mean by Moses and the snake? Hmm...I KNOW! I should get a study bible with those nifty little cross references in the middle. With that you will see that the random mention of Moses and the Snake refers to a passage in Numbers 21. Not convinced? We'll use the concordance. The orignal word for snake, as used in John 3:14, is ophis which means snake or serpent (and I believe NKJV uses the word serprent). The original word for lifted, as used in John 3:14, is hypsoo which means to lift up, elevate, or exalt. And if I remember correctly, Moses had exalted the snake. Jesus means that the same way that Moses's snake was exalted, he too shall be exalted.

No. You don't read the bible with reason as an atheist would. That's why most atheists don't get the bible in the first place. If you approach it blind, then you're not going to really see it. If you approach it close-minded, then it's your own fault that the bible seems unreasonable. If you approach it with a hard heart, a notion set in your mind, and a goal in hand then you're not going to get anywhere.

sparkyluv

Maize said:

If you rely on other people to do it for you, then you're never going to learn. God calls for a personal relationship with him, not a relationship through another body of people or through a church group.

Interpretation? No, the right word is translation. Which translation do I use? I use NIV Study Bible cause it's easiest to read and study in my opinion. A lot of my friends use ESV, which is pretty similar. I have a few friends that use NKJV. I used to use NKJV. I know a few people that use NASB. I have a KJV in my room that I look at from time to time. It doesn't matter which translation you use cause they all say the same thing and mean the same thing. Confused on the word? That's what a concordance is for.

My point still remains: You can't make up new meanings of scripture because you don't agree with it or you don't understand it.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
sparkyluv said:
My point still remains: You can't make up new meanings of scripture because you don't agree with it or you don't understand it.

so the use of christians taking verses from Jewish scripture out of context and applying new meaning to them to justify the Messiahship or Divinity of Jesus is wrong in your opinion?