• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is Your Brand of Atheism? Is There More Than One Brand?

Nous

Premium Member
It seems that definitions of atheism or atheist most often characterize these terms as entailing a positive belief regarding the nonexistence or disbelief or position regarding the existence of a God or deities.

Atheism:

1. the doctrine or belief that there is no God.

2. disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.​

the definition of atheism

Atheist:

1. a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.​

the definition of atheist

Atheism:

1a : a lack of belief or a strong disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods

b : a philosophical or religious position characterized by disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods​

Definition of ATHEISM

Atheism, in general, the critique and denial of metaphysical beliefs in God or spiritual beings. As such, it is usually distinguished from theism, which affirms the reality of the divine and often seeks to demonstrate its existence. Atheism is also distinguished from agnosticism, which leaves open the question whether there is a god or not, professing to find the questions unanswered or unanswerable.​

atheism | Definition, Philosophy, & Comparison to Agnosticism

Yet I've known people who've insisted that atheism is a mere lack of belief regarding the existence of God--as would be consistent with the first part of the Merriam-Webster 1a definition. The problem with this is that it makes atheism indistinguishable from agnosticism, which the Encyclopedia Britannica advises against.

Agnostic:

3. a person who holds neither of two opposing positions on a topic:

Socrates was an agnostic on the subject of immortality.

the definition of agnostic

Oddly the Wikipedia article on atheism begins by classifying 3 definitions of atheism according to “breadth”:

Atheism is, in the broadest sense, the absence of belief in the existence of deities.[1][2][3][4] Less broadly, atheism is the rejection of belief that any deities exist.[5][6] In an even narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[1][2][7][8]​

Atheism - Wikipedia

It seems to me that the writer(s) got the order of the “breadth” scheme exactly backwards. Obviously a person expressing the first sentence would be speaking of only his/her personal belief, whereas someone expressing the last sentence would be making an emphatic claim about the nature of reality.

So what version of atheism do you hold? Is your version of atheism distinguishable from agnosticism? And, if your atheism is in fact distinguishable from agnosticism, can you describe in some detail what proposition you reject? I.e., describe what it is that you disbelieve.

Flame

Beware
I'm an Absurdist. I'd say it falls somewhere in the agnosticism line. In essence we believe that it's humanly impossible know the meaning of life and impossible to know if a god/gods exist or doesn't . This is just a very basic look at it.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
It seems that definitions of atheism or atheist most often characterize these terms as entailing a positive belief regarding the nonexistence or disbelief or position regarding the existence of a God or deities.

Atheism:

Atheist:

1. a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.​

Atheism:

1a : a lack of belief or a strong disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods

b : a philosophical or religious position characterized by disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods​

Definition of ATHEISM

Atheism, in general, the critique and denial of metaphysical beliefs in God or spiritual beings. As such, it is usually distinguished from theism, which affirms the reality of the divine and often seeks to demonstrate its existence. Atheism is also distinguished from agnosticism, which leaves open the question whether there is a god or not, professing to find the questions unanswered or unanswerable.​

Yet I've known people who've insisted that atheism is a mere lack of belief regarding the existence of God--as would be consistent with the first part of the Merriam-Webster 1a definition. The problem with this is that it makes atheism indistinguishable from agnosticism, which the Encyclopedia Britannica advises against.

Agnostic:

Oddly the Wikipedia article on atheism begins by classifying 3 definitions of atheism according to “breadth”:

Atheism is, in the broadest sense, the absence of belief in the existence of deities.[1][2][3][4] Less broadly, atheism is the rejection of belief that any deities exist.[5][6] In an even narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[1][2][7][8]​

Atheism - Wikipedia

It seems to me that the writer(s) got the order of the “breadth” scheme exactly backwards. Obviously a person expressing the first sentence would be speaking of only his/her personal belief, whereas someone expressing the last sentence would be making an emphatic claim about the nature of reality.

So what version of atheism do you hold? Is your version of atheism distinguishable from agnosticism? And, if your atheism is in fact distinguishable from agnosticism, can you describe in some detail what proposition you reject? I.e., describe what it is that you disbelieve.
I would say I am an agnostic atheist. I certainly do not believe that God does not exist. I just haven't been convinced that God does exist. "Agnosticism" is the belief that knowledge of God is not possible, which I agree with. So, I guess you could call me either a weak atheist or an agnostic atheist, as "agnosticism" is a belief about knowledge of God not about belief in God's existence.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm an agnostic atheist. Agnostic and atheism ask two different questions, one about belief and the other about knowledge. I do not know if there are gods (agnostic) but I do not believe there are (atheist).
Agnostic atheism - Wikipedia

I am also an explicit weak atheist, as implicit/explicit are about having heard of or conceptualization (even in a limited extent) a god. Babies fall under implicit atheism (though that is contentious and I understand many disagree with this designation.)
Implicit and explicit atheism - Wikipedia

Weak and strong atheism is sometimes interchangeable with agnostic and gnostic atheism depending on usage and context. But it can also be about denial of the negative in general. 'I do not know and do not reject or accept belief.'
I personally don't use it this way, just as agnostic atheist.

There are also labels outside of these such as ignostic and theological noncognotivist which further explore the usefulness of the term 'god' before an affirmation or denial of existence can be given.
Ignosticism - Wikipedia

Atheism:

Atheist:

Atheism:

Definition of ATHEISM

Agnostic:

Atheism - Wikipedia

I'm not exactly sure why you religious types like to fetishise this one so much. It's actually very simple.

Do you believe in a deity?

If yes, then theist.

If no, then atheist.

That's really it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
If there's nothing there, then there's nothing there.

I'm the type of atheist where you need to actually have something, in order for there to even be something worth considering.

In essence, you would actually need a God to show that in fact, there is a God.

Books and flights of peoples imagination just don't cut it.

If there's nothing there, then there's nothing there.

I'm the type of atheist where you need to actually have something, in order for there to even be something worth considering.

In essence, you would actually need a God to show that in fact, there is a God.

Books and flights of peoples imagination just don't cut it.
I'd even go one step back from that. Show me something for which a god would be necessary, that isn't more easily explained naturalistically.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'd even go one step back from that. Show me something for which a god would be necessary, that isn't more easily explained naturalistically.
When I started meditations, I was still on the wall as a theist. I discovered that being quiet and not thinking about anything in particular, a very natural "response" comes forth.

I put the notion of any God to rest right then and there, and embraced a natural and actual order of things as it's directly presented.

I just didn't need God anymore in light that nature and the universe doesn't require one.

Laika

Premium Member
So what version of atheism do you hold?

"Luke-warm" Marxist-Leninist Atheism. i.e. I agree with the objective of a wholly secular society but don't support using violence to achieve it. I could be persuaded to supporting a form of non-violent State Atheism. I might also support a kind of atheistic "religion of humanity" which is a softer and more conciliatory version of this kind of atheism.

Even if I stripped it of the Marxist-Leninist Part, my understanding of Atheism would still come out sounding like Fredrich Nietzsche; i.e. militant, nihilistic, apocalyptic, messianic, millennial and almost indistinguishable from religious conviction as a religion of humanity or belief in an "ubermensch". Why should God Stop me from pursuing knowledge and power if it is in my interests to do so? There is something a bit "evil" and satanic in it.

The only reason I'm not more vocal is because I don't know how to really "express" this kind of view in polite company amongst friends. Its like being a Christian spending time with people who are sinners and unbelievers who you think are going to hell. its awkward. What are you supposed to say? love the sinner but not the sin? :shrug:

Is your version of atheism distinguishable from agnosticism?

Yes. I am an Atheist and "Anti-Agnostic" and personally, I find agnostic atheism to be self-contradictory even if I'm wholly outnumbered on that.

The only qualification I would have though is there are "degrees" in intensity of disbelief depending on the level of knowledge involved. However this doesn't change the fact I "Don't" believe there is a god but rather how capable I am in asserting and defending that position. It more a question of how much evidence I have for this view. I probably wouldn't change it even if the evidence went against it. That part is openly "irrational" and based on "instinct", or maybe dogma and faith.

And, if your atheism is in fact distinguishable from agnosticism, can you describe in some detail what proposition you reject? I.e., describe what it is that you disbelieve.

I reject:

i. Knowledge of God is impossible (Strong Agnosticism)
ii. Belief in the existence of God
iii. Belief in the existence of "Creation"
iv. Belief in the existence of a "creator" for human morality. I can sympathise with a form of Social Darwinism as a self-consistent "atheistic" morality (but it scares me).
v. Belief in Revelation and that the Bible/Qur'an etc are "Revealed By a Deity".
vi. The Existence of God cannot be proven by natural science. (I think Science can do it but hasn't done it "yet" because of the philosophical complexity involved).

I could probably come up with more but I think that will do to illustrate. :)

I think it bears noting that 'atheist' and 'agnostic' are not mutually exclusive terms.

If one is 'agnostic' they believe that it's impossible to KNOW if there exists a deity or not.

If one is atheist one does not BELIEVE there exists a deity.

It's perfectly possible to hold both positions at once, just as it is possible to hold the converse position and still be a theist.(I don't know if god exists but I believe he does.)

To place 'agnostic' as a middle position between atheism and theism is to commit a category error.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
267b7921a521a66197a5d09ab5c092ff.jpg

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Atheism:

Atheist:

Atheism:

Definition of ATHEISM

Agnostic:

Atheism - Wikipedia

I am a strong atheist.

How do you disbelief in a non-existant being unless you disbelief in the Idea of a god existing?

Its like holding an invisible pencil. I Know there it no pencil in my hand. What is the purpose of disbelief unless its defined by disbelieving the idea or claim?

I believe the Idea. I experienced it and it changes lives.

As a fact, no.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'm not sure what the Encyclopedia Britannica has to do with the matter, but regardless...

I try to use the definition of "agnostic" that Huxley gave when he defined the term. By that definition, agnosticism isn't merely being undecided; it's a positive assertion. While there's some overlap between "agnostic" and "atheist," they don't mean the same thing.