• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is wrong with those people who get tattoos?

meghanwaterlillies

most people are fine with tattoos if someone comes running that they must have a tattoo because of a gang click then they are the ones making a stigma about it ... that's not confidence period.
But really if its a stigma because others are getting it and they must for a little confidence then also probably Just tattoo a spine on their back.. not really.

Sonofason

I'll give you points for consistency. It's one of the things I like about you, honestly. Shame we're often on the opposite sides of issues, but still...*tips hat*
Well, thank you for the kind words. I honestly don't see too much of that around here, and it is refreshing. I do enjoy our discussions as well.

Not all people, or even MOST people, start from a position that this is inherently wrong, or a 'blemish'. My grandfather was a decorated soldier. A Kalinga warrior wears his 'medals' on his skin, permanently. My grandfather would put his medals in the cupboard most of the year (they now hang on my wall), whereas the Kalinga bore a permanent mark commemorating his actions.
Which is right? Neither. Both. To me there is no inherent difference in value.
The tattoo is deliberate and symbolic. A birth mark is a blemish, but speaks not in the least to the value of the person carrying it.

I am not a person that is very fond of medals either. To me it is a source of pride. I do not really accept the idea of it when people say that we should take pride in our work. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Rather than being proud because of our work, why not simply do our best because doing our best, especially when that is what we are being paid to do, is the right thing to do? You say that your grandfather's medals now hang on your wall. I would like to know why they are hanging on your wall. What is the value of them to you? I believe I threw my grandfathers medals into the trash. If not, I have no idea where they are anymore. Even if they were my medals, I might very well throw them in to the trash, unless they were of some substantial monetary value, in which case it makes more sense to me to sell them. What good does it do you having them, other than that they might give you a sense of pride and self worth, even though they are not even your medals? I guess I'm asking why are they

I suspect our definitions of adornment are going to differ. I offered Kalinga warriors as an example of this, whereby a tattoo is roughly equivalent to a medal in our society. But you may very well see medals as adornment as well.
I think I do to a certain extent. If you happen to receive a medal for something good you have done, and you actually wear that medal, I would call it an adornment. If you place it in a cupboard for others to see, I would call that an adornment as well. But if you put it in a box and put it up in the attic, I'd say that would not be an adornment in my view, but perhaps because it was not thrown into the trash, it remains a source of pride and self worth, knowing you still have it and not being very willing to part with it.

In some societies, tattoos are used to indicate marital status. This would include at least parts of New Zealand and Papua New Guinea that I've had direct exposure to. Like we would use a wedding ring.
Okay, now that is a great point, and nearly caused me to concede. A wedding band at face value is not an adornment. I believe many are of course, but they didn't have to be. We would have to consider the motives and reasoning behind why each particular wedding band was purchased...why this one and not that one...why not the lesser expensive one over the more expensive one...why not one that is less gaudy over that which is more gaudy. To me, a "wedding band" at face value (based on the words alone) is not about anyone's self worth, but rather an unspoken expression to the entire world that "I belong to someone else...so leave me alone". Once we get into how pretty it is, or how expensive it is, it becomes an adornment in my opinion.

So to your point, and why you have shown that I may have used too broad a brush, I submit that a tattoo that is worn to indicate marital status is not always about increasing one's own self confidence. It's not necessarily about ego. And it's not always about pride.

It caught my attention too, but we may interpret it differently.
She didn't have the tattoos applied for reasons of pride, nor lack of self confidence. Rather, they were applied as part of her culture's norm. When she moved to a different culture, she felt that these tattoos were judged by a different measure. Rather than being seen as normal, or a mark of her womanhood, she believed they were associated with criminality. Later, she realised that some/many people were NOT judging her negatively, and she was able to speak about the meaning of the tattoo's. She felt pride at this.
I would have to say that I think that all cultural norms are rooted in pride. And so to participate in those cultural norms is participating in cultural pride. I believe we are getting into degrees of pride. There are degrees of pride that really stink. There are other degrees of pride that are more acceptable. And there are even other degrees of pride that should be encouraged. For example:
1. the belief that you are better or more important than other people is a pride that really stinks.
2. feelings of your own worth and respect for yourself is a pride that is more acceptable.
3. to feel very pleased about something or someone you are closely connected with is something to be encouraged. This is the sort of pride I was referring to when I was speaking of doing a good job because it's the right thing to do. We should perhaps feel pleased about doing the right thing.

Yet for some reason this bothers me too a little. When we do the right thing we shouldn't necessarily feel good about ourselves, because that is what we ought to do. It is what we should expect of ourselves. So we are doing nothing that we should feel good about when we do something good, we should just do the good because it is the right thing to do. But this is making my head spin a little, so I hope you get what I'm saying.

Apart from anything else, you are conflating the increased feeling of belonging/self worth that these can bring and the reason people get them in the first place. I don't believe the Kalinga woman got the tattoos because she was lacking in self worth. I believe she got them because it was the cultural norm in her society, and a way to mark her as a woman (rather than a girl). A rite of passage. All societies have these markers, although they vary greatly. I gave my wife a ring on our wedding day, and both thought about it, and can defend the symbolism of this. However, I am self-reflective enough to know why I chose this symbol over some others.
If my wife and I had chosen to etch our rings on our fingers, couldn't it simply be a way of permanently denoting the bond, rather than a ring which can easily be taken off?
You could be right...I could be conflating the two. Yet I have no idea why people would follow social norms except to be and feel accepted by those in their community. Had she not gotten the tattoos, her feelings of self worth would likely have diminished. She got them because her feelings of self worth increased. She didn't have to get them. She wants to feel accepted.

Obviously it's difficult for me to consider this in spiritual terms. I tend to think more along historical lines. But I think the guess you've made about setting the group apart is probably close to the mark.
Assume for a second you don't believe in the Abrahamaic God. Or that instead of circumcision, that God demanded a tattoo as a permanent mark of commitment.
Do you not then see a reason beyond mere decoration for a tattoo?

I don't know. Does obedience to God make us feel better about ourselves? If it does, getting a tattoo for God would add to our feelings of self worth and our pride in ourselves. I suppose it could jut be a matter of obedience without any emotional attachments, in which case, my brush would be to broad.

All piercings? Ear rings on women?
Not doubting you, just clarifying.

I know if I say yes, you're going to come up with something to force me to retract my statement. So for curiosities sake, I will say yes. All piercings and ear rings on women and men for that matter I would say are adornments, sources of pride and feelings of self worth.

I don't know if I'm right or not, but I've gotten the impression that when I put a collar on my dog it seems to display greater pride.

sovietchild

Source please
And I sure hope for your credibility it isn't the same crackpot blog you "sourced" earlier in the thread.

Wait did you even read those links that you posted?

http://www.religiousforums.com/thre...le-who-get-tattoos.192849/page-2#post-4965733

It clearly said "women with higher numbers of tattoos were also more likely to have attempted suicide. In particular, the rate of suicide attempts in women with at least four tattoos was four times higher than that of women with no tattoos. So there's clearly something emotionally complicated going on here."

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Wait did you even read the link you posted?

http://www.religiousforums.com/thre...le-who-get-tattoos.192849/page-2#post-4965733

It clearly said "women with higher numbers of tattoos were also more likely to have attempted suicide. In particular, the rate of suicide attempts in women with at least four tattoos was four times higher than that of women with no tattoos. So there's clearly something emotionally complicated going on here."

According to the link, the regret came mostly from social stigma AGAINST the tattoos, causing embarrassment for women. Also a Health Magazine isn't a Scientific Journal. They're journos, not scientists. Link to the original study if you please.
Not to mention most work places do not allow many tattoos and like their employees to cover them up. Then you have drunk tattoos, tattoos of boyfriends/girlfriends needing to be removed due to them being exes, young decisions being regrettable (people's taste constantly evolves, something you thought was awesome at 21 suddenly seems lame at 25), shoddy workmanship etc

You can't just haphazardly link two things occurring at the same time as causal links. You have to take into account variables. You know? Be scientific and discerning!

sovietchild

According to the link, the regret came mostly from social stigma AGAINST the tattoos, causing embarrassment for women. Also a Health Magazine isn't a Scientific Journal. They're journos, not scientists. Link to the original study if you please.
Not to mention most work places do not allow many tattoos and like their employees to cover them up. Then you have drunk tattoos, tattoos of boyfriends/girlfriends needing to be removed due to them being exes, young decisions being regrettable (people's taste constantly evolves, something you thought was awesome at 21 suddenly seems lame at 25), shoddy workmanship etc

You can't just haphazardly link two things occurring at the same time as causal links. You have to take into account variables. You know? Be scientific and discerning!

What health magazine? Did you even read those links that he/she posted? It comes from The Social Science Journal

Kelly of the Phoenix

How do you know it does not effect me? How would you know if it does not effect millions of mothers out there?
The only way it could affect parents objectively is if they got an infection from a poorly done job and they have to pay the doctor bills. Other than that, nope, no effect whatsoever that is rational.

The area where I just moved in like 2 years ago is infested by people with tattoos. The city it self is famous for its bars. Maybe there is a link between two.
Or maybe you're incredibly shallow.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
What lth magazine? Did you even read those links that he/she posted? It comes from The Social Science Journal
No it doesn't. It's from Health.com. That's what YOUR link brought me to. A magazine that "reports" on science. But in saying that so does Cosmo, so not exactly a stellar source of respectability. Though the author is probably qualified as PT or maybe a sort of Dietitian I assume. At least that's what comes up when I try to google her. Can't find if she has anything to do with any social scientific discipline though.

sovietchild

How does this pointless and dumb topic belong in the section for religious debates?

I could ask you the same question in same similar manner.

#1. Death is part of every religion. #2. Lots of monks tattoo them selves.

From Wiki: Many Hindu men and women tattoo Aum on their hands or arms. This symbols protects them from evil and bad karma.

It only shows how much you know about religion.

Last edited:

Sakeenah

What is wrong with those people who get tattoos? Are they afraid of something, and so in order to feel confident they tattoo them selves?

Salaam alaikum brother,
People get tattoos because they like them..I don't see why this would be linked to a lack of self confidence.

In a lot of north/east african and middle eastern muslim countries women get temporary Henna tattoos during weddings,Eid celebrations.

Personally I wouldn't get a permanent tattoo because of religious reasons but I had temporary henna tattoos.I got them because it looks nice not because of lack of self confidence ,so I don't understand why you are linking tattoos to a lack of self-confidence or anxiety.
This is a google image of a henna tattoo

Round-Mehndi-Designs-Pics-1.jpg

meghanwaterlillies

I would say that the person I know who got tattoos came up it mostly originally; for me when I check out their tattoos, its pretty well thought of; like inspired well. I almost consider them like tattoos that are tats for me too like something that once overcome. Even though they arehiEven though they are on him I shared it. Like my tats too. But because of that kind of hard to explain.