• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is wrong with those people who get tattoos?

sovietchild

What is wrong with those people who get tattoos? Are they afraid of something, and so in order to feel confident they tattoo them selves?

sovietchild

What's wrong with those people who go and harangue people because of their harmless personal choices over the Internet? Are they afraid of something, so in order to feel confident they spout off condescending rhetoric?

I'm sorry to trouble you but I prefer a straight forward answer. Like there is nothing wrong with them because....

Kirran

Premium Member
I'm sorry to trouble you but I prefer a straight forward answer. Like there is nothing wrong with them because....

I was more commenting on the question than answering if I'm honest.

To actually answer: it's a free choice, it doesn't hurt anybody, and people do it for myriad reasons. Maybe there are even some who do it to help boost their confidence, and so what? But many will have all sorts of other reasons.

This guy hasn't done it out of lack of confidence, for example, but because it's the long handed-down tradition of his culture and connects him to his tribe.

Ta-Moko-600x900.jpg

I know people who talk about getting a tattoo representative of each country they visit, or who get tattoos to commemorate their loved ones when they die. A guy I knew had a tattoo of an angel on each arm, which represented two of his friends that died.

Animore

What is wrong with those people who get tattoos?

Great question. Why would it be considered, in your eyes, wrong? Is it because of scripture?

Are they afraid of something, and so in order to feel confident they tattoo them selves?

Why in the hell would they do that? They're afraid to take an action so they go out and get a permanent mark on their skin? That seems a bit ridiculous, at least with the views of modern society being considered.

sovietchild

Maybe English isn't your first language, but when someone says "what is wrong with those people who..." that's sending a pretty clear message of disapproval. So does claiming that these people are "afraid" (a negative attribute).

A lot of people smoke/drink to cure the anxiety. Yes it does help for a short run, but it only makes anxiety grow bigger like a tree. Same thing with tattoos. Study shows that women who are getting tattoos experience more anxiety later on.

sovietchild

Are tattoos haraam or something?

According to wiki. Permanent tattoos are forbidden in Sunni Islam, but are permissible in Shia Islam.

It's your decision. Muslim is a believer. If you believe in one God then you are a believer.

Kirran

Premium Member
According to wiki. Permanent tattoos are forbidden in Sunni Islam, but are permissible in Shia Islam.

It's your decision. Muslim is a believer. If you believe in one God then you are a believer.

You're Sunni, by any chance?

I see no particular problem with them if you do it in a constructive spirit, although I have no inclination to get any myself.

So I'm a Sh'ia! I did always like Husayn, so...

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
What is wrong with those people who get tattoos? Are they afraid of something, and so in order to feel confident they tattoo them selves?

My tattoos are a representation of my core values and my style/personality.
I don't feel confident because I have tattoos, I regret it a little because of the attention I sometimes get.
Don't know what I would be afraid of to get tattoos.

Jumi

I wouldn't get tattoos, but it always surprises me when people are afraid of tattoos.