• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is wrong with those people who get tattoos?

Jonathan Ainsley Bain

Logical Positivist
I have a tattoo (and saving up for another), and I don't have BPD. I knew a guy with BPD, and he didn't have any tattoos. Disagree all you want, but that facts are there is zero correlation between tattoos and BPD.

Sure.
Plenty of people who are borderline do not have tattoos.
They harm themselves other ways.
And yes,
those tattooed in nazi concentration camps do not fit this category either.

How would you define borderline personality disorder?
(as opposed to bi-polar disorder - btw also BPD!)

Jonathan Ainsley Bain

Logical Positivist
A psychological disorder that is often characterized as "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde."

I'd say that Jekyll and Hyde is more like bi-polar.
My old text books from last century
characterized borderline as those that inflict self-harm.

Essentially my own analysis is that borderline is someone who could/should
have ended up a full-blown psychopath due to sever abuse, but retained enough empathy
to internalize the abuse into the subconscious. Now the empathy prevents the trauma
from being projected onto others, so instead it gets repeated onto the self.

(Sorry that is a bit brief)

gnostic

The Lost One
I personally don't like tattoos, so I wouldn't get ones. That's just me.

But I don't recall the Qur'an ever saying people having tattoos are right or wrong.

Jonathan Ainsley Bain

Logical Positivist
They've been updated many, many times since then (and Freud has been largely discarded). You wont find any mention of tattoos being indicative of a mental disorder.

Oh I discarded all the recent versions as being full of contradictions and not at all in-keeping
with my own experiences. Freud is still the most well known psychologist despite the youth of today being
largely full of gripes; denialism, and projecting their own insecurities.

You are correct that there are few that directly mention tattoos, but self-harming is self-harming
regardless of who ordered or chaotic it is. Taking a knife or needle to your body is self-harming.

Do you think that everything recent is always better than everything older?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Oh I discarded all the recent versions as being full of contradictions and not at all in-keeping
with my own experiences.
I have no idea how to respond to that. Things have changed so much over the past few decades, especially over the century that has passed since Freud, it's really only foolish to dismiss these new findings and new data, especially when it doesn't meet your own expectations of reality.
Freud is still the most well known psychologist despite the youth of today being
largely full of gripes; denialism, and projecting their own insecurities.
Well known doesn't mean correct. And it has nothing today with the youth of today, as Freud was discarded long ago, not because of the youth, but because we've come to realize he was full of crackpot ideas.
You are correct that there are few that directly mention tattoos, but self-harming is self-harming
regardless of who ordered or chaotic it is. Taking a knife or needle to your body is self-harming.
Tattoos are not self-harm.
Do you think that everything recent is always better than everything older?
Not always, but, when it comes to research, newer is generally almost always better, especially in psychiatry and psychology where out technological advances in just the past couple decades have rocketed our understanding of the human psychology to whole new levels, to depths and heights not conceivable by Freud.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
Heck if I know, anyone who feels the need to draw all over themselves with permanent ink has psychological problems.