• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is wrong with those people who dress to look sexy?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
You mean sexually repressed or desensitized depending on your pov. It comes down to exposure. Your ideas of the female and/or male form are influenced by where, when and in what way you are exposed to said forms. For example if you are only exposed to women wearing bikini like attire with only your wife wearing her underwear than one can be conditioned to respond to the visual experience with a stranger as if they would to an private or intimate setting with one's wife. On the other side if you are exposed to strangers in bikinis you may not develop a conditioned response based on a visual experience of your wife in an private or intimate setting. Of course these are extreme examples as not everyone will have this conditioned response nor at such drastic levels. Another extreme would be laws imposing a standard thus creating the appearance of criminality. Religious view vary between social constructs and law. However these examples are used to explain basic normalization of various ideas and experiences within a society. Such differences between and within societies and cultures; otherwise known as the clash of cultures. Hence why the OP sees so much intent behind what people wear as Soviet has been conditioned to accept certain limits and perceptions of what people would wear and why. Likewise those of us in the West are conditioned to consider the environment and direct interactions outside than what is simply a religion based limitation and perception. For example encountering people dressed in certain attire in a bar setting we impose our understanding of what such an environment means on a social level on to various people. In a different environment such as work we do not impose the bar's social meaning as we these environments as fundamentally different.

Your response is merely an echo of the OP based on your views. Different targets granted, but same conditioned response based on what your consider normal.
I thought the OP lived in America? Granted that doesn't exclude him from other pressures not of the West, obviously. But most of us immigrants do adapt after a while. Or are conditioned if you please.

Shad

Veteran Member
I thought the OP lived in America? Granted that doesn't exclude him from other pressures not of the West, obviously. But most of us immigrants do adapt after a while. Or are conditioned if you please.

If I remember correctly Soviet was from the Ukraine but immigrated when he was 12.

Everyone does not adapt nor accept every cultural norm even if they lived in America all their lives. For example Mormons have maintained their own views which are not considered cultural norms. However such views are not in open conflict as I believe they understand these norms and avoid projecting a claim that something is wrong with people as a generalization put forward in the OP.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
If I remember correctly Soviet was from the Ukraine but immigrated when he was 12.

Everyone does not adapt nor accept every cultural norm even if they lived in America all their lives. For example Mormons have maintained their own views which are not considered cultural norms. However such views are not in open conflict as I believe they understand these norms and avoid projecting a claim that something is wrong with people as a generalization put forward in the OP.
True. Still it is better to try accept things as they are than to fret about them. I can only imagine what that must do for one's health. Life is too short and all that.