• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is wrong with idol worship?

Scott C.

Just one guy
ChristineES, the idol-worshipper does not consider the idol to be more important to god, they considere the idol as a representation of god. So technically they are not putting any other thing before god :)

From a Judeo-Christian perspective, I look at what the Old testament says:

3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

Not only should we worship no other God than the true God, but we should not make any graven images of God. I don't interpret this to mean that I should not have a picture of Jesus, for example, on my wall. I do have such pictures. I believe, however, that I should not use the picture as a vehicle of worship. For example, I would not kneel in front of such a picture and pray (unless it was coincidental). Even if I know that the picture is not Christ, but is only a representation, I would not use the representation as a vehicle of prayer. I believe this would violate the intention of the commandment quoted above.

I don't know what other religions have to say on the subject. I'm only aware of what the Bible says about it.

Surya Deva

Not only should we worship no other God than the true God

How, how do you worship the 'true god'? If I understand correctly it is by sitting for prayer and thinking about god in WORDS. What are words? Representations. If you say, "Oh Jesus, I love you" you are using the word 'Jesus' to represent Jesus. How is that any different to kneeling before the picture of Jesus on your wall and saying, "Oh Jesus I love you" All that has changed is now instead of using WORDS you are using VISUALS.

Just as the word 'fire' is not the same as fire; the word 'god' or 'jesus' is not the same as god or Jesus. They are merely signs(consisting of signifier and signified) and they only point to mental concepts, not the actual objects themselves. Thus just as you accuse the idol worshipper of worshipping idols, they can similarly accuse you of worshipping mental concepts.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
The 2nd commandment says that "You shall not worship any gods before me". I take that to mean that it is perfectly acceptable to enjoy others things that are important to you just as long as it isn't more important to you than God. But I think that would be a whole other debate. :)

...Isn't that the first commandment? I mean, "I am the Lord thy God," isn't really a command...

healthier

Every person needs some points to concentrate to worship. The best thing found by our elders are idol worship. You have faith on idols and have a concentration in it while you do your meditation, yoga, worship or whatever you call.

mohammed_beiruti

Why waste time with an idol or image when you, yourself, acting as your own agent, can pray to the real God? :rolleyes:

without an intermediate redeemer, without thinking that God incarnated neither in Idol nor in human's flesh.

I a gree with you some one should pray for God directly without a intermediate Idol or human.

sorry but I don't think that "krishna" was a god from god, light from light,true god from true god ? :sad:

am sorry

Last edited:

Scott C.

Just one guy
How, how do you worship the 'true god'? If I understand correctly it is by sitting for prayer and thinking about god in WORDS. What are words? Representations. If you say, "Oh Jesus, I love you" you are using the word 'Jesus' to represent Jesus. How is that any different to kneeling before the picture of Jesus on your wall and saying, "Oh Jesus I love you" All that has changed is now instead of using WORDS you are using VISUALS.

Just as the word 'fire' is not the same as fire; the word 'god' or 'jesus' is not the same as god or Jesus. They are merely signs(consisting of signifier and signified) and they only point to mental concepts, not the actual objects themselves. Thus just as you accuse the idol worshipper of worshipping idols, they can similarly accuse you of worshipping mental concepts.

I understand what you're saying. I'm not trying to accuse here. People of different religions have different views on the subject. I'm simply pointing out that from my LDS Christian perspective, God gave an instruction on how to and not to worship. In the Bible, God asks that we not worship via a graven image.

Darkwater

Ultra is my I-doll.

UW+crop+3w.jpg

She is the fullness of Goddess within me.
While I do not "worship" her...
I do love, adore & treasure her beyond measure.

She is the ultimate fullfillment of me,
as loving Goddess(Ultra) and dynamic Woman(Violet)
live, move, become & REALize as one.

She is MY latex love doll,
and the pinacle of my altar/alter.

I love both the I-doll itself,
and she who it represents,
especially now,
in the purple twilight of my maturity.

As I find, love & welcome Ultra deep within my self,
I become... well... more Ultra.;)

I worship no Ultra other than the true Ultra Violet Pan Wench.....Accept no imitations.

Hail Ultra-Vi'let purple sparkly deopths .......:flirt:

tomspug

Absorbant
ChristineES, the idol-worshipper does not consider the idol to be more important to god, they considere the idol as a representation of god. So technically they are not putting any other thing before god :)
Idols are man-made, so they can not (and never will) resemble anything close to whatever God is actually like. Idol worship is an exercise in the celebration of man-made things (including some gods which they represent).

blackout

Violet.
I worship no Ultra other than the true Ultra Violet Pan Wench.....Accept no imitations.

Hail Ultra-Vi'let purple sparkly deopths .......:flirt:

See that? The Goddess, in me has arisen.;)
...and Manifest before me as well, in great love.

Truly. she has.:rainbow1:

Ultra has enriched my reality beyond measure.

(ummm.... you can get up off your knees now DW. lulz.
yer pretty darn Ultra of your own kind. heh.)

Surya Deva

Idols are man-made, so they can not (and never will) resemble anything close to whatever God is actually like. Idol worship is an exercise in the celebration of man-made things (including some gods which they represent).

God is a man-made concept. So it too will never resemble anything close to whatever god is actually like.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
I don't think that there's anywhere that God is not. After all, God is Omnipresent. All of creation is God, including images used to represent Divinity. They are like the signposts leading to God which is the final destination, they are not the final destination in themselves.

blackout

Violet.
I don't think that there's anywhere that God is not. After all, God is Omnipresent. All of creation is God, including images used to represent Divinity. They are like the signposts leading to God which is the final destination, they are not the final destination in themselves.

From the little bit I know of all major religions...
there is something about hinduism I think I like best.;)

Do you think though Hema, that since God is All,
and divinity can manifest itself in anything to an individual
that I'm-ages (images) can actually BE god? BE divinity itself?
Be a direct experience of god to a person?...
Instead of merely pointing or representing?

Just a pondering.

Peace4all

I think people are hostile toward idol worshiping and polytheism in general because its so foreign to traditional beliefs. I was learning about Hinduism and their roots in Jainism and Buddhism in AP World History today. No offense, but the Veda just seems like a huge collection of fairy tales derived from nothing. I mean how does one reach the conclusion that there are 3 gods, they come in many disguises, and often hive thousands of eyes and mouths?? Hinduism represents such a wide array of beliefs that I hesitate to call it a religion.

mohammed_beiruti

a good parable for idols' worshipper from Qura'an

[22:73] O men! Here is a parable set forth! Listen to it! Those on whom, besides Allah, ye call, cannot create (even) a fly, if they all met together for the purpose! And if the fly should snatch away anything from them, they would have no power to realise it from the fly. Feeble are those who petition and those whom they petition!

[22:74] No just estimate have they made of Allah: for Allah is He Who is strong and able to carry out His Will.

So can the statue or an idol retrieve any thing from flies if they snatch something away from it ?

if he can't , then why shall I call the Idol for help !!!!!

Last edited:

kai

ragamuffin
I think people are hostile toward idol worshiping and polytheism in general because its so foreign to traditional beliefs. I was learning about Hinduism and their roots in Jainism and Buddhism in AP World History today. No offense, but the Veda just seems like a huge collection of fairy tales derived from nothing. I mean how does one reach the conclusion that there are 3 gods, they come in many disguises, and often hive thousands of eyes and mouths?? Hinduism represents such a wide array of beliefs that I hesitate to call it a religion.

exchange the the word "Veda" for any religion you like they all fit , "one size fits all"

.lava

Veteran Member
I agree with what Storm said, mainly people that have a problem with Idol-Worship are one that really know nothing about it, and that the Idols themselves are more of a representation of the God, and not the God itself.

hi :)

i see your point and i have questions;

1-what does worship mean to you?
2-what does 'represent God' mean to you?
3-what does not represent God if idols do?
4-what do you expect from an idol?

5-why would someone worship an idol if he believes in God? i mean, what's the point?

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
hi :)

i see your point and i have questions;

1-what does worship mean to you?

To respect and honor

2-what does 'represent God' mean to you?
If you have a statue of Zeus it "represents" the God Zeus

3-what does not represent God if idols do?
Nothing "Idols"(statues pictures and what have you) are just one of many things that can represent God(s).

4-what do you expect from an idol?

Nothing, that's one thing people need to learn from the religions that have "Idols" in them. We don't expect anything from them.

5-why would someone worship an idol if he believes in God? i mean, what's the point?
This has been said many time here. THE IDOLS ARE NOT WORSHIP, THE JUST REPRESENT THE GODS THAT ARE.

[/quote]

.lava

Veteran Member
To respect and honor

If you have a statue of Zeus it "represents" the God Zeus

Nothing "Idols"(statues pictures and what have you) are just one of many things that can represent God(s).

Nothing, that's one thing people need to learn from the religions that have "Idols" in them. We don't expect anything from them.

This has been said many time here. THE IDOLS ARE NOT WORSHIP, THE JUST REPRESENT THE GODS THAT ARE.

[/font]

if all the idols were representing the one and only source, then there could not be diversity. i mean, that would be like everyone has his own radio tuned into the same channel. but it is not like that. why are we hearing different songs if the source was one for all?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Suraj,
Do see where the question is coming from.
However.
There is nothing right and wrong.
The end justifies the means.
If you can achieve what you wanted to by idol worship; its fine.
Love & rgds

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
if all the idols were representing the one and only source, then there could not be diversity. i mean, that would be like everyone has his own radio tuned into the same channel. but it is not like that. why are we hearing different songs if the source was one for all?

That's because there are all different Gods(deities), they are not all the same. Like you and me, Zeus and Allah. Or even Odin and Ra.