• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is to be made of Howard Camping?

LittleNipper

Is Harold Camping of Family a Prophet or a heretic? He says that the world is ending May 21, 2011. He has said that this has been revealed to him from the Bible. He applies prophesies that speak of the Temple as thogh they refer to churches. He says the CHURCH AGE is over. So what do you think. Is he another Smith? Why do you think he is right or wrong?

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Is he as ambiguous as the rest of them or does he explain himself properly? Ie/ what does he mean by the Church Age being over?
No, he is not a prophet.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
In 1992, Camping published a book titled 1994?, in which he proclaimed that Christ's return might be on September 6, 1994. In that publication, he also mentioned 2011 could be the end. As a result, some individuals criticize his publication for "date-setting."[19] Camping's latest publications, We are Almost There! and To God be The Glory, provides his, and other individuals', understanding of additional Biblical evidence establishing May 21, 2011 as the date for the Rapture and October 21, 2011 as the date for the end of the world.
:facepalm:

He sounds like your regular nutjob to me. :areyoucra

Heck, he hasn't even meditated under a tree for three years.
That's just so obviously the action of a true prophet. :drool:

*giggle* :rolleyes:

Last edited:

HandMaiden

Hi I am new here, Just surfing around finding out about Howard Camping. Someone said something to me today and so I came looking for myself. When I read this post the Scripture came to me. I am sure you have read this before, so we are not to give creadence to this kind of opion. It is a fleshly opion not of the Spirit because God's Word is the final truth.
Matthew 24:23-37
23Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.
24For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
25Behold, I have told you before.
26Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.
27For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
28For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.
29Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
30And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
31And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
32Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:
33So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.
34Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.
35Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
36But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only. 37But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

Is Harold Camping of Family a Prophet or a heretic? He says that the world is ending May 21, 2011. He has said that this has been revealed to him from the Bible. He applies prophesies that speak of the Temple as thogh they refer to churches. He says the CHURCH AGE is over. So what do you think. Is he another Smith? Why do you think he is right or wrong?

He is a false prophet. This isn't the first time he predicted the end of the world. He made a previous prediction concerning 1994. His method of interpretation is steeped in numerology and allegorizing and spiritualizing all of Scripture. This is an example of what happens when you get away from the plain meaning of the text of Scripture. I'm not prepared to say that he is not a Christian, because he seems to know the way of salvation by grace. However he is not qualified to be a teacher of the Word, because his methods of teaching lead to error and confusion.

James 3:1 says, "My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment." So, whether he himself is saved, I cannot say. But it is sure that his false teachings will be burned up.

cyberhippie

since you are going to be raptured on may 21, 2011 you will not need your earthly possessions. you can sign them all over to me on may 20th and I will make sure that they go to good use.

TalAbrams

Camping is typical of Christian Evangelists. Always something new and scary to bilk the public of their money. He already has a plan, a new idea, to explain what his mistake was.
History repeating itself. Egomaniacs and greedy creatures, all.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
What is to be made of him? Very little. Perhaps nuthin at all. Another bug on the helmet visor.

:rolleyes: The Apostle Paul wrote: "Philippians 1:15 Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will:
16 The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds:
17 But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel.
18 What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice."

We should not be so critical of Howard Camping but rather as Paul put it rejoice that Christ is preached. Sometimes the motive might be wrong but that is not a reason to get up set with his date setting.

We should always be ready for the coming of the Lord. (Mat 24:44 KJV) Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.

We are told by Paul to examine ourselves, 2 Cor 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Jesus told us: (Mat 7:3-5 KJV) And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? {4} Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? {5} Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Tabernacle of God Fellowship

phillip sell

No he is not a typical Christian Evangelist because the typical ones do not set dates like he has. He has always been WAAAAAAYYYY out there and before I would say he was "cult-like" now I would say He full qualifies. No good Biblical Scholars who call themselves Born-again, and Bible believing, and I have heard, read, and studied many for the past thirty years do what Camping has done. Having eternal life and forgiveness from Jesus is real and life transforming unfortunately he has reflected poorly on the wonderful good news that Jesus loves you and offers you a new life if you turn from your sin and turn to him.

Last edited:

Sharon Saw

Exploring
well, it's the 21st and i wonder how many people will have their faith shaken because the rapture did not happen. I hope they do not lose faith in God because of a misguided man.

Bob L

The Rapture did happen! A Rapture of one - Harold Camping! Have a nice trip, Harold! Don't forget to write! :D

lamascada

How does harold camping go about saying that the rapture would be on may-21-2011 when we dont even know who the antichrist is yet in my religion we are taught that we will know who that man is when he comes in to rule. Im not much into reading the bible i know a few things here and there but to be straight with everybody i dont even know the 10 commandments . What i do know is that there is still alot of bad things are suppose to happen like plagues , worse starvation than we have now , life is suppose to get more expensive as we go further into the future. So far the only thing i can ask is who is the antichriist ??? Im still waiting to see if obama gets re elected for some mysterious reason then ill start to worry .