• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the Psychology/Mechanics of Religious Belief?

David Davidovich

Hello. I'm new to this forum and I hope that this topic is in the correct forum. But I have a question particularly for nonbelievers, however, by no means it is a challenge question. Also, believers are free to post in this topic too.

So, what I would like to ask particularly to nonbelievers is: What is your view on the psychology/mechanics of religious belief and what exactly do you think that believers in God are technically believing in in regard to their desire, their love, their adherence to what they believe is God?

And the reason why I ask is because there are various versions of Christianity, which have contradictory and conflicting policies and doctrines, but yet, within these various versions of Christianity, there are people who are sincere and very serious about worshipping God and having a relationship with God. However, for the most part, the people in these various versions of Christianity believe that their way or interpretation of believing and worshipping God is correct while often times believing that Christianity outside of their version of Christianity is incorrect.

And to expound upon these ideas, it seems as if in reality, belief and devotion to God (for many) is believing in the highest principles in your mind that make you feel safe and hopeful about life, along with the highest principles in your mind that produce community and caring and good deeds for others and with others. And of course, this would be in contrast to the darkness and the hopelessness that exists in our world.

So, does anyone have any thoughts about this?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Why ask a non-believer what their view of the psychology of religious believers, instead of believers?

Also, you probably won't get a clear answer mostly because people worship Gods for many reasons, there isn't any one singular psychological reason. For some it's community, for others it's reprieve and serenity, and others still do it because it's part of their Cultural upbringing and want to carry that tradition forward.

Edit: Also, welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
As a non believer I do worship a God that I'm reasonably sure does not exist.

I am quite certain that many religious believers claim to know God by way of revelation through experiencing the Spirit.

In my eyes there is no rational way of knowing God. Yet to hear anything convincing.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Hello. I'm new to this forum and I hope that this topic is in the correct forum. But I have a question particularly for nonbelievers, however, by no means it is a challenge question. Also, believers are free to post in this topic too.

So, what I would like to ask particularly to nonbelievers is: What is your view on the psychology/mechanics of religious belief and what exactly do you think that believers in God are technically believing in in regard to their desire, their love, their adherence to what they believe is God?

And the reason why I ask is because there are various versions of Christianity, which have contradictory and conflicting policies and doctrines, but yet, within these various versions of Christianity, there are people who are sincere and very serious about worshipping God and having a relationship with God. However, for the most part, the people in these various versions of Christianity believe that their way or interpretation of believing and worshipping God is correct while often times believing that Christianity outside of their version of Christianity is incorrect.

And to expound upon these ideas, it seems as if in reality, belief and devotion to God (for many) is believing in the highest principles in your mind that make you feel safe and hopeful about life, along with the highest principles in your mind that produce community and caring and good deeds for others and with others. And of course, this would be in contrast to the darkness and the hopelessness that exists in our world.

My uneducated guess is that magical thinking plays a big role. It's all about the hope that the laws of physics somehow have exceptions that allows them to be special or "saved" from a perceived "evil", they can't fight themselves, by some celestial benefactor.
It is a pretty universal hope that also manifests in conspiracy theories or alien abductions.
We see it also in art, especially the superheroes stories. (Only that people who read comix or watch Hollywood blockbusters mostly go back to reality after indulging in a few hours of "what if ...".)

Also, welcome to the forum.

David Davidovich

Why ask a non-believer what their view of the psychology of religious believers, instead of believers?

Because I already know what a believer's answer is. However, I wanted a more objective, out-of-the-religious-box type answer from nonbelievers. However, believers are welcome to participate in this discussion.

Also, you probably won't get a clear answer mostly because people worship Gods for many reasons, there isn't any one singular psychological reason. For some it's community, for others it's reprieve and serenity, and others still do it because it's part of their Cultural upbringing and want to carry that tradition forward.

Exactly. And that is why I specifically asked what nonbelievers' views were.

Edit: Also, welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here.

Thank you.

David Davidovich

My uneducated guess is that magical thinking plays a big role. It's all about the hope that the laws of physics somehow have exceptions that allows them to be special or "saved" from a perceived "evil", they can't fight themselves, by some celestial benefactor.
It is a pretty universal hope that also manifests in conspiracy theories or alien abductions.
We see it also in art, especially the superheroes stories. (Only that people who read comix or watch Hollywood blockbusters mostly go back to reality after indulging in a few hours of "what if ...".)

Also, welcome to the forum.

Interesting answer. Also, thanks for the welcome.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Because I already know what a believer's answer is.

Do you really? Your OP only mentions Christianity not other religions and partially focuses on scriptural differences which can be unimportant to believer.

Do you know the rich variety of Hindu beliefs which include atheists, monotheists and polytheists who often share a core set of beliefs?

And your OP focuses on a non-believers perspective and assumes that believers are motivated to some degree if not primarily from that perspective.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Exactly. And that is why I specifically asked what nonbelievers' views were.

No problem, that is my perspective as a believer, that there are many reasons. :) And as Heyo noted magical thinking is one aspect, but not all of it.

Are we only talking Religious belief from the Christian/God perspective? There are Eastern Religions that are Atheistic or Monistic. Such as Taoism.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
As a human born a baby not owning my two human parents bodies I am correctly informed.

Then organisation just humans tell me to believe their organisation.

So I know I'm on a planet. It owns a heavens that I don't own... I only live inside of it. I eat I drink I sleep I live I have relationships.

As a human.

I am taught believe another entity not a human created your first ever human parents.

Not my own parents. The first ever humans.

So I think. I say I don't know if it's true.

A human. My spiritual truth.

Then I visit various organisations who have perform just human ceremonies. Some interesting and some scary.

Still just only humans.

I know I am self informed of my human status so I learnt to ignore any story about how a human said another entity not human created humans.

As I don't lie to my own human status just a human first.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

As a believer in a God, i have to say your queztion is truly a good one.

I would say you will find as many answers to your question as there are people. Because no human being believe exactly the same way. This is due to how we understand the teaching, what part of the teaching one put most importance on. Some will only worship because it is expected of them. Others will study for years.

But for me as a Sufi, the main focus is to remove all my bad words, thoughts and speech, something that is very difficult.
It is an inward journey where the teaching in it self is not made to "prozelyte" to much toward other. Even i done that too.

But main goal of a religious practice as i understand it, is to purify our hear. :)

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member

We haven't yet found a culture on Earth that doesn't have some supernatural beliefs. From that I conclude that supernatural beliefs are something that humans do, that gods (&c) are human artifacts.

I think the factors are twofold. First, it's human nature ─ it has a higher survival value ─ to ascribe a cause to an unknown phenomenon, and respond accordingly eg to assume that an unknown noise in the dark is a threat. But this covers a wide range of human experiences that call for explanation ─ luck, good and bad, at hunting, fishing and gathering, in love, with combat, with fertility, with childbirth, with weather and the seasons, with thunder and lightning, flood, famine, meteors, on and on.

One of the uses of an imagined being in these cases is not only explanation, but a sense of partial control by pleasing, appeasing, sacrificing to, such a being. The role of the shaman is found very widely, and the role of the professional priest is at least as old as civilization.

The second factor is tribal solidarity and the survival value of coherence and cooperation. Tribal identity is still important to the individual, and may involve the group having in common language, customs, stories, heroes, and beliefs. As Trump will tell you, Us v Them can be very successful politics at the primitive level.

Nimos

Personally I prefer to have believers explain why they believe, as that seems to make the most sense. At least I would prefer people asking me why im an atheist, rather than having a religious person guessing why :)

But should I answer, I think the reasons are almost as vast as there are believers, ranging from simply having been raised with a set of beliefs, hope, fear and to being the best explanation, I could also imagine that some see it as a way to thrive towards something better, probably linked to hope. But honestly I think there are lots of reasons and that they differ a lot.

PureX

Veteran Member
I find it sad that most atheists see nothing in theism but superstition and wishful thinking. And then just blindly presume these to be 'bad'. It shows a lot of arrogance and narrow-mindedness on the atheist's part. And seems to do nothing more for them than stroke their egos.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I find it sad that most atheists see nothing in theism but superstition and wishful thinking. And then just blindly presume these to be 'bad'. It shows a lot of arrogance and narrow-mindedness on the atheist's part. And seems to do nothing more for them than stroke their egos.
What a load of tosh. :oops:

Sheldon

Veteran Member
I find it sad that most atheists see nothing in theism but superstition and wishful thinking. And then just blindly presume these to be 'bad'.

No one has blindly assumed this that I have seen, they have argued and given cogent reasons.

It shows a lot of arrogance and narrow-mindedness on the atheist's part.

My how you love to play the victim, it's hilarious. So anyone who doesn't share your beliefs and says so is arrogant and narrow minded, again the hilarity of the arrogance of that claim alongside the previous one is palpable. I know you won't answer, as that's not why you're here, but please explain the bias you see in atheism that makes it narrow minded? After all you disbelieve in all the deities that I do, except one. So how is the deity you imagine to be real, objectively different in any way to all the others?

And seems to do nothing more for them than stroke their egos.

Maybe if you did something here besides trolling, you might learn something, but again this does not appear to be why you're here, but then again neither is open debate, so why put yourself through it, it clearly annoys you that atheists voice critical objections and arguments to religious apologetics.

Sheldon

Veteran Member

Why would you address this to atheists? It seems a question hat would be more aptly addressed by theists surely? They know why they believe what they do one assumes.

Again this seems like a question for theists to answer surely, not atheists?

Well there are a lot of assumptions in there, but I don't see a question for atheists?

Heyo

Veteran Member
Choose a conspiracy theory you don't believe in, Flat Earth, Moon Hoax, Reptiloid Aliens, you name it. What do you think is the psychology/mechanism behind people believing in it?

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I think in many cases, God is the ideal parent. The entity to emulate, learn from, identify with, to seek protection from. We find our real parents imperfect, our relationships imperfect, our life imperfect. There is the perfect life promised to us by the Abrahamic God at least.

Religion provides a way to make the ideal real to us.

Not all Gods are "perfect" but I suspect they still have some aspects of ideal attributes we look up to, admire. They are role models or sometimes adversaries in the narratives we create about our life and life in general.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
To put it rather crudely, I think religious belief is motivated by the search for comfort, and for truth, in varying proportions.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
There are also many people who see design in nature and kick it way upstairs to an ideal, supreme Omni God. That's an extremely far stretch for what nature exhibits. I, myself see no ideal, supreme design though I do see natural living and non living intelligence in nature.