• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the physical world?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
To (Amanaki) the physical world is nothing more than a reflection of (Amanaki`s) Consciousness and perception of what the consciousness experiences in each moment. (meaning the physical world is not real)
To others, the answer to what the physical world is will be different.

How do you perceive the physical realm/world in your understanding?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
To (Amanaki) the physical world is nothing more than a reflection of (Amanaki`s) Consciousness and perception of what the consciousness experiences in each moment. (meaning the physical world is not real)

Like Amanaki, I see this world as per this quote;

"The world is but a show, vain and empty, a mere nothing, bearing the semblance of reality. Set not your affections upon it. Break not the bond that uniteth you with your Creator, and be not of those that have erred and strayed from His ways. Verily I say, the world is like the vapor in a desert, which the thirsty dreameth to be water and striveth after it with all his might, until when he cometh unto it, he findeth it to be mere illusion." – Gleanings from the Writings of Baha’u’llah, p. 328.

I like sharing this illusion with yours and all hearts Amanaki.

Regards Tony

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Like Amanaki, I see this world as per this quote;

"The world is but a show, vain and empty, a mere nothing, bearing the semblance of reality. Set not your affections upon it. Break not the bond that uniteth you with your Creator, and be not of those that have erred and strayed from His ways. Verily I say, the world is like the vapor in a desert, which the thirsty dreameth to be water and striveth after it with all his might, until when he cometh unto it, he findeth it to be mere illusion." – Gleanings from the Writings of Baha’u’llah, p. 328.

I like sharing this illusion with yours and all hearts Amanaki.

Regards Tony
Thank you for sharing this Tony :)

Earthtank

I disagree. The physical world is everything we can see, hear, touch, taste and feel. This is not the matrix and it seems Amanaki ate too many mushrooms. If he thinks everyone perceives it differently have him stand in front of a moving car and see if he feels the same pain anyone else would. Ask him to jump in boiling hot water and see if suffers the same burns anyone else. Heck, cut it short and ask him to jump off a building and see if he will fly, i 100% guarantee to you his "perception" will get right really quick

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I disagree. The physical world is everything we can see, hear, touch, taste and feel. This is not the matrix and it seems Amanaki ate too many mushrooms.
Lol Amanaki do not eat that kind of mushrooms ;)
The touch, feels, hear, seeing is only an illusion in the form of that nothing in this physical world is permanence. Even humans "see" solid objects, they are not solid at all. Zoom in and what is seen is empty space between atoms ;) so not solid

Earthtank

Lol Amanaki do not eat that kind of mushrooms ;)
The touch, feels, hear, seeing is only an illusion in the form of that nothing in this physical world is permanence. Even humans "see" solid objects, they are not solid at all. Zoom in and what is seen is empty space between atoms ;) so not solid
Try walking through a solid object and let me know how that goes lol. Or go stand in the middle of a highway and try to have all the fast moving solid object pass through you ;)

Reactions: Moz

Terry Sampson

Does your "world" =
  • earth?
  • a universe that has a beginning and an end?
  • an infinite, eternal cosmos which consists of and contains many things, e.g. planets, suns, asteroids, solar systems, galaxies, etc.? or
  • ???

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Try walking through a solid object and let me know how that goes lol. Or go stand in the middle of a highway and try to have all the fast moving solid object pass through you ;)
Well there is something called physical law and humans can normally not brake these rules, to Go through a wall one would have some form of psychic abilities that allowed one to do so, and No Amanaki does not have that ability.

In the OP it is said that others will see the Physical world in a different way then Amanaki does. So yes you see it differently and that is ok.

A Vestigial Mote

The world as we perceive it is exactly what the sensory-perception organs of our body are primed/evolved/able to provide to us as "perception." It is not all some "illusion" as a lot of people like to claim, it is instead a representation. It is a representation of the actual matter and energy that we are coming in contact with, or viewing, or hearing, etc. So, the matter and energy ARE THERE (obviously) in whatever forms and states they take on at any given moment, and what we perceive is a representation or a "rendering" of this matter and energy into a form that we can readily digest.

No illusion... merely the best our body is able to muster given the tools at its disposal. And @Amanaki - you even said as much yourself!

Amanaki said:
The fact remains that we CAN "zoom in" and see that there is empty space between atoms. So, the matter and energy IS there, and we can RELY on it being there, and we can augment our perception in order to "see" other things about our reality that our bodies cannot pick up on.

Reality is not an illusion. This is a misrepresentation of the situation we are in. I think it is a purposeful misrepresentation, used by a lot of people to try and discredit "reality" down to the level of their unrealistic/supernatural ideas in order to make their ideas seem more plausible. Reality is a representation of things that ARE ACTUALLY "THERE." They are not "illusion." There is nothing false or fake about them.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Where else is there to go but the physical world? The physical world is 90 percent of what we sense.

It's the world that does what it does regardless of how we feel about it.

The physical world is real. No lies there!

If the senses do not convince you then what would? Pain, or disease, and death.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The world as we perceive it is exactly what the sensory-perception organs of our body are primed/evolved/able to provide to us as "perception." It is not all some "illusion" as a lot of people like to claim, it is instead a representation. It is a representation of the actual matter and energy that we are coming in contact with, or viewing, or hearing, etc. So, the matter and energy ARE THERE (obviously) in whatever forms and states they take on at any given moment, and what we perceive is a representation or a "rendering" of this matter and energy into a form that we can readily digest.

No illusion... merely the best our body is able to muster given the tools at its disposal. And @Amanaki - you even said as much yourself!

The fact remains that we CAN "zoom in" and see that there is empty space between atoms. So, the matter and energy IS there, and we can RELY on it being there, and we can augment our perception in order to "see" other things about our reality that our bodies cannot pick up on.

Reality is not an illusion. This is a misrepresentation of the situation we are in. I think it is a purposeful misrepresentation, used by a lot of people to try and discredit "reality" down to the level of their unrealistic/supernatural ideas in order to make their ideas seem more plausible. Reality is a representation of things that ARE ACTUALLY "THERE." They are not "illusion." There is nothing false or fake about them.

A know Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh once said this.
The world outside is our consciousness is us. It is not something separate and distinct. The object and the subject of perception inter-are. Without subject, there is no object; without object, there is no subject. They manifest at the same time. To see means to see something. The seer does not exist separately from the seen; they manifest at the same time. If you imagine that the seer is independent and goes out in order to see the seen, that is a mistaken perception.

To Amanaki this is understood as we are not separated from what is seen, it is the same, So we only experience a moment, it does not exist more than a moment in time, it falls and arises again in the next moment. Humans never see the same thing over and over again.

Think you stand at a riverside, you look at the river flowing past, what you see is not the river or the water, what you see is each droplet passing you, but your perception is that it is one solid river. it is not solid :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Where else is there to go but the physical world? The physical world is 90 percent of what we sense.

It's the world that does what it does regardless of how we feel about it.

The physical world is real. No lies there!

If the senses do not convince you then what would? Pain, or disease, and death.
the only truth that exists is the consciousness :)

Terry Sampson

I believe in an infinite and eternal cosmos that has no beginning and end, and that consists of an infinite quantity of "stuff" which I say Anaximander called "the Apeiron", i.e. the meaning "(that which is) unlimited," "boundless", "infinite", or "indefinite" [from ἀ- a-, "without" and πεῖραρ peirar, "end, limit", "boundary"]. So, IMO, there is (1) stuff and (2) not-stuff, more commonly called "space". And there nothing that is neither stuff or space. Stuff is physical and moves through space. Space is not physical, and does not move, stretch, or contract.

A Vestigial Mote

Without subject, there is no object; without object, there is no subject. They manifest at the same time.
The above is what I take issue with. It seems to presume that nothing exists unless there is a "subject" there to perceive it. This is absolutely false, as can be easily demonstrated by the fact that you and I can perceive the same object at the exact same time. It isn't, at all, "one reality for you" and "one reality for me." We experience THE SAME reality. Perhaps we PERCEIVE IT DIFFERENTLY... but underlying our perception is the fundamental structure of the universe that DOES NOT YIELD WHEN SOMEONE "ISN'T LOOKING." That idea is just foolishness, and flies in the face of so much evidence that it is laughable.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

The physical world is perceived through senses not thought imagination.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The above is what I take issue with. It seems to presume that nothing exists unless there is a "subject" there to perceive it. This is absolutely false, as can be easily demonstrated by the fact that you and I can perceive the same object at the exact same time. It isn't, at all, "one reality for you" and "one reality for me." We experience THE SAME reality. Perhaps we PERCEIVE IT DIFFERENTLY... but underlying our perception is the fundamental structure of the universe that DOES NOT YIELD WHEN SOMEONE "ISN'T LOOKING." That idea is just foolishness, and flies in the face of so much evidence that it is laughable.
Two people(A and B) looking at an object for 10 minutes, then turn around to a third person, and the f explain what they have seen. They will give two different answers because what they perceive as the object is experienced differently, they have not experienced the same because human beings see and understand things differently. so the only thing they have done is to say what their consciousness has experienced, they have not told what the object truly is.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The physical world is perceived through senses not thought imagination.
Two people who "experience" the same "thing" will not actually have experienced the same. they can only experience what the consciousness gives access to :) Senses does not give a true answer. it only give what we think.

For example, a person gets a blindfold over the eyes. and is asked to feel an object that is named example a sculpture, and when the person does feel the object in their mind he/she will think sculpture. but when the blindfold is removed, the object is far from a sculpture. it is only imagination and the word sculpture that made the mind "think" the felt the sculpture. so we create our reality from ou thoughts, hearing, tastes, and feels. but it is not the truth that is experienced :)

A Vestigial Mote

Two people(A and B) looking at an object for 10 minutes, then turn around to a third person, and the f explain what they have seen. They will give two different answers because what they perceive as the object is experienced differently, they have not experienced the same because human beings see and understand things differently. so the only thing they have done is to say what their consciousness has experienced, they have not told what the object truly is.
But the two accounts of what was perceived ARE NOT the object that was attempting to be perceived. Do you understand what I am saying? I am saying there exists an "ultimate truth" about the object that the two people were trying to perceive. The matter and energy of the object REMAINS THE SAME, regardless which of the two people were looking at it, or for how long. Their account of what they perceived is IRRELEVANT to the existence of the object itself. It was there before they tried to perceive it, and it will be there after they are done. The object is INDEPENDENT of their perception. Completely independent. The true nature of the object and its material existence ARE NOT AN ILLUSION. It is true that we may never be able to perceive the "true nature" of an object because we come pre-packaged with perception tools that we rely on. But that still does nothing to affect the object itself.

To think that your perception actually manifests the fundamental nature of all objects you perceive is arrogance.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
But the two accounts of what was perceived ARE NOT the object that was attempting to be perceived. Do you understand what I am saying? I am saying there exists an "ultimate truth" about the object that the two people were trying to perceive. The matter and energy of the object REMAINS THE SAME, regardless which of the two people were looking at it, or for how long. Their account of what they perceived is IRRELEVANT to the existence of the object itself. It was there before they tried to perceive it, and it will be there after they are done. The object is INDEPENDENT of their perception. Completely independent. The true nature of the object and its material existence ARE NOT AN ILLUSION.
Not going to argue with you about your understanding of it :) You see understand it differently and that is, of course, ok :) Your consciousness has a different experience of reality