• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the physical world?

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
This part of your post is speaking about suffering. and in the Buddhist teaching, this is called attachments, you suffer because you clinging to these things, when the attachments have been fully released compassion arise, with compassion one can see the "why" others suffering, and one can comfort them selflessly. It means we see they suffer and we can help them overcome it with our compassion.

Why can we say we let go of the feeling of greaving, fear, sadness and even fear of death? Because we already understand life is imperfect and impermanent. Accepting what's coming.
We can teach others about it, but can not take their attachments away, But being there for them is important.

Also to understand past is past, can not do anything with that, Future has not yet risen, so we are left with the present moment. the only moment in time we can "control" is the resent moment, that can shape the future we will experience.
Looks like you've learned some of Buddha's basic teachings. Wise person that he was.

I agree life is much less stressful and suffering is greatly reduced and peaceful using the 8 fold path along with mindfulness and compassion as the center. But there is no way to say that the physical pain some people endure is simply wiped away by mindful thinking . It is certainly reality for the one in pain. Or the hurt we feel for our loved ones who suffer. That was my only point about the reality of suffering. It is real sometimes.

As is joy. We don't need to cling to any of it but I think it is foolish not to experience things just as they are and to pretend they are not real.

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Looks like you've learned some of Buddha's basic teachings. Wise person that he was.

I agree life is much less stressful and suffering is greatly reduced and peaceful using the 8 fold path along with mindfulness and compassion as the center. But there is no way to say that the physical pain some people endure is not simply wiped away by mindful thinking . It is certainly reality for the one in pain. Or the hurt we feel for our loved ones who suffer. That was my only point about the reality of suffering. It is real sometimes.

As is joy. We don't need to cling to any of it but I think it is foolish not to experience things just as they are and to pretend they are not real.
from more then 20 years of study Buddhism it would be strange if not the basic teaching was understood yes :)

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
from more then 20 years of study Buddhism it would be strange if not the basic teaching was understood yes :)
That's a long time. I'm not a Buddhist so I don't really get involved with the religious aspect of the different sects and beliefs. But the stuff that can actually be used to control our own minds and lives is extremely beneficial to those who learn how to understand and apply the tools of the teachings.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
That's a long time. I'm not a Buddhist so I don't really get involved with the religious aspect of the different sects and beliefs. But the stuff that can actually be used to control our own minds and lives is extremely beneficial to those who learn how to understand and apply the tools of the teachings.
Daily meditation is the way a Buddhist learn to silent the mind and strengthening the concentration :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The idea of 'dharma' is common to all Indian religions, Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and Sikhism.

"In Hinduism, dharma signifies behaviors that are considered to be in accord with Ṛta, the order that makes life and universe possible, and includes duties, rights, laws, conduct, virtues and "right way of living". In Buddhism, dharma means "cosmic law and order", and is also applied to the teachings of Buddha. In Buddhist philosophy, dhamma/dharma is also the term for "phenomena". Dharma in Jainism refers to the teachings of tirthankara (Jina) and the body of doctrine pertaining to the purification and moral transformation of human beings. For Sikhs, the word dharam means the path of righteousness and proper religious practice."
Dharma - Wikipedia

For literal usage of 'dharma' see: Sanskrit Dictionary for Spoken Sanskrit and https://www.sanskrit-lexicon.uni-koeln.de/cgi-bin/tamil/recherche

Buddhism has a better write-out on 'dharma' (The Noble Eight-Fold Path):
Division Eightfold Path factors
Insight, wisdom (Sanskrit: prajñā, Pāli: paññā)
1. Right view 2. Right resolve
Moral virtue (Sanskrit: śīla, Pāli: sīla)
3. Right speech 4. Right action 5. Right livelihood
Meditation (Sanskrit and Pāli: samādhi)
6. Right effort 7. Right mindfulness 8. Right concentration

There are four different types of dharma: Dharma, the Moral and Religious Duties in Hinduism

"The best way I find to understand dharma is to think back to the three components of religion – beliefs, behaviors, and community. Dharma is the relationship between how your personal behaviors impact the community you are a part of. (Remember that community and behaviors are much more important to a Hindu than beliefs.)"
What is Dharma - A Practical look at Hindu Terminology

Does this gives you the idea about 'dharma'. Otherwise I will give you more material to study. What I am trying to avoid is spurious and biased descriptions.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Let me ponder it and check out the website link you gave me, and see where that takes me. Thanks.
The Sixteenth chapter of BhagawadGita gives what are the qualities of a 'dharmic' person (good) and an 'a-dharmic' person (evil) at Chapter Sixteen. It is from a Hare-Krishna site, so do not go on their hyperbole about "the Supreme personality of Godhead" (by that they mean Lord Krishna):

16.1-3: Fearlessness; purification of one’s existence; cultivation of spiritual knowledge; charity; self-control; performance of sacrifice; study of the Vedas; austerity; simplicity; nonviolence; truthfulness; freedom from anger; renunciation; tranquillity; aversion to fault-finding; compassion for all living entities; freedom from covetousness; gentleness; modesty; steady determination; vigor; forgiveness; fortitude; cleanliness; and freedom from envy and from the passion for honor – these transcendental qualities, O son of Bharata (Arjuna), belong to godly men endowed with divine nature.

16.4: Pride, arrogance, conceit, anger, harshness and ignorance – these qualities belong to those of demoniac nature, O son of Pṛthā (Arjuna).

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
First o
To (Amanaki) the physical world is nothing more than a reflection of (Amanaki`s) Consciousness and perception of what the consciousness experiences in each moment. (meaning the physical world is not real)
To others, the answer to what the physical world is will be different.

How do you perceive the physical realm/world in your understanding?
Primarily I would say that the material world is objectively real. That doesn't mean it is the only reality. Nor does it mean we adequately perceive it (quantum mechanics tell us that we do a very poor job). Nevertheless it is not an illusion or dream or simulation. I actually do exist. You actually do exist. My cat actually exists. My computer actually exists.