• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the difference between love & sex-?

james dixon

Premium Member
Before entering

not a topic for everyone

comes with a cautionary warning

adults only rule

No profanity, name calling, purposefully lying

No off topic posts

Adults Only

By posting here you agree to the terms of this thread

:)-

james dixon

Premium Member

when I was a teenager, the term “sex” was not a term spoken among my circles. I grew up believing intercourse was for the procreation of children. I still believe this, only--------

At the same time, I had a few girlfriends. We held hands, kissed each other from time to time and continued a great relationship; but I never considered this “sex”.

I eventually married and now I am a grandfather several time over.

My desire to have children has long since passed; I am a grandfather several times over, but I still enjoy the company of a woman. Having said the above, I now wonder if my joy of having the company of a women; a feeling of “sex” or one of “love”; or is there a difference-?

In short is it sinful to enjoy the company of a woman knowing marriage is not an option.

Just asking

No animosity intended or implied

Just curious

Mindmaster

Premium Member
In short is it sinful to enjoy the company of a woman knowing marriage is not an option.

Just asking

Just curious

If it's a sin, it's God's fault... We were having sex before marriage as a concept even existed. Many historical cultures had a very lose definition of marriage as well like the ancient Celts where they basically had sex with whoever they wanted but raised whatever kids were the result as their own and whatnot. They essentially decoupled marriage from sex, but it's likely that even before that time this marriage thing was even looser.

Secondly, you're gonna be in the same situation as many other people your age. They got kids, households they run, and whatnot already. They're not looking to make that with someone as they already have it -- they're looking for companionship and sex. They probably aren't interested in marriage because that was with someone else and they gave that to them. Many women will not remarry after becoming a widow even if they will date, etc... ever...

There is also another aspect of this and it's time -- you got less of it, and so does any woman you are interested in. So, expect your average 55+ single lady to be a bit more forward. She doesn't have a childish concept of sex and doesn't equate it to loyalty or marriage. She's probably willing to have sex with people she's not considering as keepers. If she's even looking for them... Many aren't... But, if you're high level of companionship then she might offer that option eventually. So, even in that case you're more likely to sex first, marry later, etc.

They just wanna go out, knock some boots, and have some fun before they kick the bucket. Now that you got some perspective hopefully on this, leave the religion and guilt at the door... You're just really robbing yourself of opportunities to find some really nice ladies who just want to have fun with you.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Before entering

not a topic for everyone

comes with a cautionary warning

adults only rule

No profanity, name calling, purposefully lying

No off topic posts

Adults Only

By posting here you agree to the terms of this thread

The difference is the relationship and intention of both parties involved. Two couples have sex. One is in a committed relationship, and the other is not. Most people call the former love and the latter sex. They are both sex just depends on the relationship and motive of both couples.

Intimacy is a better word than love, though.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I reckon whether it is sinful or not to enjoy the company of women that you have no intention of marrying depends on your religion and your interpretation of its teachings about sin. However, I can find no secular reason -- scientific or otherwise -- to consider such a thing harmful. Quite the opposite, in fact. I have several platonic female friends, and hanging out with them is one of the primary ways I stay feeling young and cheerful.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

when I was a teenager, the term “sex” was not a term spoken among my circles. I grew up believing intercourse was for the procreation of children. I still believe this, only--------

At the same time, I had a few girlfriends. We held hands, kissed each other from time to time and continued a great relationship; but I never considered this “sex”.

I eventually married and now I am a grandfather several time over.

My desire to have children has long since passed; I am a grandfather several times over, but I still enjoy the company of a woman. Having said the above, I now wonder if my joy of having the company of a women; a feeling of “sex” or one of “love”; or is there a difference-?

Just asking

Just curious

English is a very stunted language when it comes to the definition of "LOVE".

In Greek (the language of the NT) there are four different words for love.....

1) Philea....brotherly love. This is the love between spiritual family members and indicates strong spiritual bonds.

2) Storge'....the love of fleshly family members. Blood bonds.

3) Agape'....is a love based on principle. With this love we can even love our enemies as Jesus said.
It can be a love that does not allow hate to come up into the heart, no matter how badly treated we become. It stifles jealousy,
revenge, hatred and many other negative emotions that could lead us to commit acts that God condemns. It is the most used because it is the most important.

4) Eros....romantic love between the sexes...the love expressed in sexual desire and attraction. This is the love of love songs.

So how important is romantic love in this definition? The word "eros" is not mentioned once in the Greek Scriptures. It takes a back seat to the other three, which God obviously considers more important.