• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the difference between God and Satan?

Misty

The God character in the Bible is truly unpleasant if the Bible stories are to be believed. He kills, he gets a young girl pregnant, he has his only 'son' killed, NICE!:eek: So what is so bad about Satan in comparison?

blackout

Violet.
I love the way "Santa" can illustrate
both the classic God the Father character,
and the classic christian "Satan" character with equal ease.

If you haven't contemplated it
it will probably sound weird to you, I know.
However, it somehow gives me the sense
that they really are the same thing.
Or at least, they can easilly be rolled up
together and embodied in the very same icon.
:shrug:

(waits to be pummelled by her satanist friends)
(as well as christians and Santa lovers everywhere....)

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
The difference is that satan doesn't murder, rape, beat or enslave anyone in the Bible.

blackout

Violet.
I can't remember...

Does god do all those awful things to Job?
or does god "simply" step out of the way
so that Satan can do all of those awful things to Job and his family?

Christian churches everywhere
teach that Satan tortures hell's inhabatants for all of eternity.
Of course that is just one interpretation of what the bible "actually" says... I know.

it's_sam

Freak of Nature
HAHA i think most people turning themselves in would "preffer" the good cop :p but yes he is incovenient to say the least.

BruceDLimber

>What is the difference between God and satan?

Very simply, God is the One Supreme Creator, All-loving and All-merciful. He has no rival or equal!

Satan is merely a term for our lower (animal) nature when we give it control instead of our higher (spiritual) nature. Nothing more.

Peace,

bruce

Twig pentagram

High Priest
For starters, one is called God and the other is called Satan. Secondly it depends on who you're talking to or what you're reading. I think that the God and Satan of religion are products of myths and legends.

Last edited:

Misty

>What is the difference between God and satan?

Very simply, God is the One Supreme Creator, All-loving and All-merciful. He has no rival or equal!

Satan is merely a term for our lower (animal) nature when we give it control instead of our higher (spiritual) nature. Nothing more.

Peace,

bruce

Nothing loving or merciful about the God character in the Bible!

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
One plays an important role, and the other doesn't. Seriously, Satan only appears in one book in the Tanakh and in the Gospels he's little more than a tester. It's not until Revelations that his role increases.

IMO, seeing as Satan's role in the Bible is minimal, I think it's best to look at the two characters from later Christian mythology, in which he plays a much bigger role, and where his mythos really came from.

Let's see... in the Divine Comedy, what's the difference? In Paradise Lost/Paradise Regained, what's the difference? (I haven't gotten to the Purgatorio or Paradisio, yet, and I haven't read Paradise Lost/Regained yet, so someone else will have to answer.)

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Nothing loving or merciful about the God character in the Bible!

Plenty of love and mercy from the God of the Bible. It's just contrasted with what we moderners would find deplorable.

Tell me, have you talked to many Jews about how they view the Torah? Or the rest of the Tanakh, for that matter? How familiar are you with the Talmud?

Misty

Plenty of love and mercy from the God of the Bible. It's just contrasted with what we moderners would find deplorable.

Tell me, have you talked to many Jews about how they view the Torah? Or the rest of the Tanakh, for that matter? How familiar are you with the Talmud?

I don't know any Jews personally, there are none in our area as far as I am aware.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
I don't know any Jews personally, there are none in our area as far as I am aware.

It might not be a bad idea for you to study up on Jewish interpretations of the Torah:

"That which is detestable to you, do not do to others. That is the whole Torah; the rest is commentary."

When I heard this, I thought to myself: "Wow! That appears to conflict with several parts of the Torah itself. How can someone come to this interpretation?" To this day, I'm still not entirely sure. But someone found it, and Jews are not exactly known for violence and evangelism. Something's going on here. It appears that the violent surface of the Torah isn't quite identical to its purport.

Zadok

Zadok
The God character in the Bible is truly unpleasant if the Bible stories are to be believed. He kills, he gets a young girl pregnant, he has his only 'son' killed, NICE!:eek: So what is so bad about Satan in comparison?

The difference is that G-d is willing to sacrifice himself for the benefit of others - Satan is willing to sacrifice others for the benefit of himself.

The other interesting thing about Satan is that he intends that his nature be ascribed to G-d. In other words that we see G-d as Satan defines G-d.

On the other hand – G-d allows us to know of him only when we are willing to discipline our self, which is in essence making a sacrifice of our self for the benefit of others.

Zadok

Misty

The difference is that G-d is willing to sacrifice himself for the benefit of others - Satan is willing to sacrifice others for the benefit of himself.

The other interesting thing about Satan is that he intends that his nature be ascribed to G-d. In other words that we see G-d as Satan defines G-d.

On the other hand – G-d allows us to know of him only when we are willing to discipline our self, which is in essence making a sacrifice of our self for the benefit of others.

Zadok

Hmmmmmmmmm! Not the way I see it at all. That only works if you believe Jesus was God rather than a human and voluntarily went to his death for the so called 'sins' of the world, none of which I believe to be true, the concept seems daft to me.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What's the difference between God and Satan?

2,038,334, by one estimate:

godvsatan.jpg