• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the difference between a Flat Earther and a Creationist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The user I was responding to said that “down” is the direction of gravity.
One of the problems with phrasing things in simplistic terms is that precision and detail can be lost.

If he had said that "down" is the direction of the force vector of the local gravitational field, would you have understood what this meant?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Why would the moons gravitational pull cause the tides then on Earth? User stated the direction of gravity is down. The moons gravity would have no effects on Earth if he were right.

The moon is smaller than the Earth and farther away, so the gravitational effect of the moon is much, much, much smaller than that of the Earth. But it certainly *does* exist.The net force obtained by adding the two (earth's gravity and moon's gravity) is the net force locally. And yes, down is in the direction of that net force. And yes, that is what produces the tides.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I understand it just well ~ I’m just curious as why it’s very selective on what it has effects on and what it doesn’t have effects on.
Gravity isn't selective.

... and this is another thing that tells me you don't understand gravity.

And why we are not detecting gravitons from all over the place locally.
No idea what you're getting at here.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I understand it just well ~ I’m just curious as why it’s very selective on what it has effects on and what it doesn’t have effects on. And why we are not detecting gravitons from all over the place locally.

Well, we detect *GRAVITY* from all over the place, including mountains, underground water, etc. Gravitons have not been detected at all, being a quantum effect of gravity. Gravitational waves *have* been detected, but they tend to be very weak and hard to detect.

sooda

Veteran Member
This is just yourself spouting more BS. I don’t believe in many things “biblical.” Just some more BS that people do to try and make someone look stupid with their ridiculous equivalences.

I’m playing devils advocate. It’s funny to me seeing a bunch of people who know nothing about me trying to demean and psychologically attack.

You don't need help from anyone to look stupid.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If that were true, all gravity would be going down towards the moon ~ and not towards the Earth causing tides. Seems you’re a hypocrite or don’t understand it yourself.

Laugh all you guys want. Think I care?

So from your position wherever you are located ~ there are no sideways and upside existence?
what are you talking about?

Newtonian gravity is very easy to understand. Yes,there are all of those directions, but due to gravity they are local directions.

If I threw a ball in the air, it comes down simply because it’s heavier than the air. Not because gravity is luring it or attracting the ball back to Earth.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I understand it just well ~ I’m just curious as why it’s very selective on what it has effects on and what it doesn’t have effects on. And why we are not detecting gravitons from all over the place locally.

It isn't selective. But the size of the effect is based on mass and distance. So, a very massive object that is far away may have a smaller gravitational effect than a less massive object that is closer. The effects add together to give the net gravitational field.

For objects on the Earth, the gravity of the Earth is *by far* the main contributor. The effects from the moon and sun also can be detected and produce the tides (which are a small effect on the scale of the Earth). The gravity from the other planets has an effect on the orbit of the Earth, but that effect is very small.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
I understand it just well ~ I’m just curious as why it’s very selective on what it has effects on and what it doesn’t have effects on.

It isn't selective on what it has effects on, if you think it is, or that anybody else is suggesting it is, you don't understand it.

If I threw a ball in the air, it comes down simply because it’s heavier than the air. Not because gravity is luring it or attracting the ball back to Earth.

Err.... you do understand that weight is the force exerted by gravity, don't you?

sooda

Veteran Member
Why would the moons gravitational pull cause the tides then on Earth? User stated the direction of gravity is down. The moons gravity would have no effects on Earth if he were right.

Earth's Tides. The moon's gravitational pull is the primary tidal force. The moon's gravity pulls the ocean toward it during high high tides. During low high tides, the Earth itself is pulled slightly toward the moon, creating high tides on the opposite side of the planet.
Earth's Tides - National Geographic Society
www.nationalgeographic.org/media/earths-tides/

sooda

Veteran Member
tides.jpg

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

An easy way to test this.

What would happen to a ball dropped in a vacuum? how about a ball dropped in an atmosphere of xenon (which is heavier than air)?

Do you care to make predictions?

Earth's Tides. The moon's gravitational pull is the primary tidal force. The moon's gravity pulls the ocean toward it during high high tides. During low high tides, the Earth itself is pulled slightly toward the moon, creating high tides on the opposite side of the planet.
Earth's Tides - National Geographic Society
www.nationalgeographic.org/media/earths-tides/

So subduction zone was wrong then. If he or she were right all gravity would go down towards the moon of mass, and not towards the Earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.