• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the difference between a Flat Earther and a Creationist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
57D3B831-B564-451D-929B-AD353C975589.jpeg

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
So the sun as massive as it is it not pulling the earth or moon towards it ~ nor is the Earth pulling the moon towards itself?
Yes, the sun pulls both the earth and moon toward it. That's why the earth orbits the sun.

Technically, the barycenter of the earth-moon system is orbiting, but that barycenter is inside the earth. Both the earth and moon simultaneously move around the barycenter

tas8831

And seeing the photos presented from NASA of the earth, from year to year ~ the sizes of countries are all different,

So.... you think every picture of the earth from space is taken from the exact same latitude and longitude and the exact same distance from the earth's surface, and taken at the same time of day AND year?

Cool 'beliefs.'
and their photos are of a perfect sphere, not an oblate spheroid.
You've taken measurements, have you?

tas8831

No different that say that since billiard balls are spherical, the pool table must be spherical too then.

Right, wow - why didn't I think of that....

And then some will say that time is bent and curved in space causing everything to appear spherical.
Except for earth, of course.

A lot of people wonder how birds and flies and butterflies, etc. carry on just fine without gravity.
???
Not subjected to gravity? Now ~ I already know that you’d respond by it only working on larger masses.
???

Birds and Butterflies and gnats, umm... FALL when they stop flapping their wings.

You must know that, right?

Ok, well then instead of gravity, how about explaining why objects do not float away, off of the surface according to flerferdom.

I guess that cartoon of people and water falling of the "bottom" of the spherical earth was the flerfer's "explanation"?

In flerfer world, a plane circumnavigating the earth at the equator from east to west would actually just be making a big right-hand turn the whole time. Would they have to continually input a small amount of rudder and just not know it? Or would they be part of the conspiracy?

One of my kids just flew back from a European vacation. On the spherical earth, the distance from where he was to Boston was x-number of miles. The plane flew on a northerly route to take advantage of the earth's curvature and make the trip 'shorter'. Did they really just fly toward the 'center' of the earth-disc instead of the straight line that they should have, and shouldn't their diversion have made the flight longer?
Yet not a single being can detect or experiment with any gravity at home for some reason.

Hold two objects in your hands.

Let them both go.

You just did an experiment resulting in the observed effects of gravity.

Last edited:

tas8831

I mean ~ anyone who believes in curved water ~ sideways and upside down curved water

'Curved water'?

Gravity, as defined, 'pulls' toward the center of mass.

Thus, 'down' in the northern hemisphere is the 'opposite' of down in the southern.

Some years ago, I caught a few minutes of some crappy 'forbidden archaeology' type of show. Graham Hancock was the guest, explaining where he thought Atlantis was. He thought it was in the mid-Atlantic, and it had been covered up when the earth's crust 'fell down' due to a tilt in the earth's axis. He showed a diagram of what he meant, and he showed a spherical earth, but had arrows pointing from the north to the south, and he 'explained' that this was the 'downward' movement of the crust. I knew then that Hancock was a fraud.

~ sideways people and upside down people ~ an earth and atmosphere spinning at 1000 miles per hour, just because they see pictures from an elite few, and were indoctrinated that way ~ feel free too. This may be true but also sounds pretty silly.

So...

Ever been on an airplane? Was the air in the cabin blowing on you at 350 mph for the whole trip?

Oh - and regarding curved water:

tas8831

What is the difference between the indoctrinated holier than thou religious with high priests and the indoctrinated that are more intelligent than thou with high priests? NOTHING.

Um... Those called "the indoctrinated" are done so in order to cast aspersions?

And "the indoctrinated that are more intelligent than thou" actually have like evidence and stuff?

For crying out loud, the ancient Greeks knew about the spherical earth and one dude (whose name I forget) had calculated it using shadows and was amazingly close to the actual circumference of the earth.

I guess a guy measuring shadows has more of an open mind than the flerfers.

sooda

Veteran Member
Um... Those called "the indoctrinated" are done so in order to cast aspersions?

And "the indoctrinated that are more intelligent than thou" actually have like evidence and stuff?

For crying out loud, the ancient Greeks knew about the spherical earth and one dude (whose name I forget) had calculated it using shadows and was amazingly close to the actual circumference of the earth.

I guess a guy measuring shadows has more of an open mind than the flerfers.

The ancients also had a navigational tool that measured latitude called the Kamal.

tas8831

I haven't seen ISIS, but I have certainly seen numerous satellites. In fact, I think I have seen several every night I have done serious observation. They move fast enough that getting a bead on them with a telescope is almost impossible but sometimes you can catch one in binoculars.

Two questions:
1. How dark is the site where you are observing? You probably won't see many through city lights.

2. Do you actually look at the sky as opposed to just through the telescope?

Coincidentally, my neighbor and I spent about 2 hours stargazing a few nights ago, using the Stellarium app as a guide. One of the options is to list satellites. He and I were able to observe, with the naked eye, about 5 satellites (that is, Stellarium had 'satellite x' indicated, we looked at where it should have been, and we saw a point of light moving relative to the other stars around it). So unless Stellarium is part of an elaborate hoax in which fake satellites are put in the sky... To what end, it is literally impossible to say.... It isn't that hard when you are not looking to 'debunk' something.

And regarding the ISS, lots of folks with telescopes have seen it.

hqdefault.jpg

And one dude even saw an astronaut on an EVA!

How powerful a telescope would allow me to view the astronauts aboard ISS do a space-walk?

Amazing what one can find out if one actually wants to.
Still waiting for flerfers to produce pics of the edge of the earth disk - you know, the "ice wall" around the rim....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.