• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the definition of a "Woman"?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The new supreme court nomination of Biden Ketanji Brown Jackson can not answer this question.

There s a blurred line between man and woman. I know a couple of "very" female men, a woman who was a man, and an androgynous person who does not like to be identified as either.

That's just to my personal knowledge so yes know in a general sense but it us impossible to be precise.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I see a big problem with these question & answer
sessions, ie, there is insufficient time to consider
questions & answers. Sure, it's a measure of being
able to think & remember on one's feet. But is that
the best measure of a judge?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There s a blurred line between man and woman. I know a couple of "very" female men, a woman who was a man, and an androgynous person who does not like to be identified as either.

That's just to my personal knowledge so yes know in a general sense but it us impossible to be precise.
"Woman" & "man" might be best defined as a weighted
preponderance of traits. Good luck coming up with that
instantly on the spot while sitting in front of a bunch of
knuckle dragging Congresscritters.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I thought it was "taco or wiener".
Anyway, that only works most of the time.
Gotta also face the exceptions to the rule.
And at the end of the day, that's what this is all about, isn't it? The GOP just wants to pretend there are no exceptions, since that keeps things tidier and easier to cope with.

Dogknox20

That just leaves the definition of "female," doesn't it? What is your answer, oh wise judge?
Evangelicalhumanist I am not being nominated for a Supreme Court Judge! Does it matter my definition!?
1. Female
2. Male
......................................................................................
Definition of female
(Entry 1 of 2)
1a(1): of, relating to, or being the sex that typically has the capacity to bear young or produce eggs

Definition of male
(Entry 1 of 2)
1a(1): of, relating to, or being the sex that typically has the capacity to produce relatively small, usually motile gametes which fertilize the eggs of a female
......................................................................................

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Evangelicalhumanist I am not being nominated for a Supreme Court Judge! Does it matter my definition!?
1. Female
2. Male
Definition of female
(Entry 1 of 2)
1a(1): of, relating to, or being the sex that typically has the capacity to bear young or produce eggs

Definition of male
(Entry 1 of 2)
1a(1): of, relating to, or being the sex that typically has the capacity to produce relatively small, usually motile gametes which fertilize the eggs of a female
Notice the word "typically" in both definitions?
This implies exceptions.

F1fan

Veteran Member
And at the end of the day, that's what this is all about, isn't it? The GOP just wants to pretend there are no exceptions, since that keeps things tidier and easier to cope with.
It also allows them a way to lash out against marginalized people who are seeking recognition in a nation devoted to liberty. People seeking recognition seem to be weaponized within their being against the very political party that is devoted to more tolerance, openness, and diversity. Limiting the liberties of marginalized people seems to me is a proxy war against the Democrats. It's one issue of a long list of tolerances that a progressive society is more comfortable allowing, like abortion, gay marriage, end of life solutions, healthcare, etc. And I find it ironic that Republicans are very interested in a narrow set of other types of liberty like gun access. The more Republicans push a black and white view of what is acceptable as a society the less they will be able to represent the full breadth of America.

pearl

Comparing various news outlets might provide the 'political' agenda behind the question.

Republicans have spent hours this week trying to portray Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson as an extremist on issues of race and an apologist for child sexual abusers. Late Tuesday, Senator Marsha Blackburn, Republican of Tennessee, added another social issue to the list of cultural grievances the G.O.P. is foisting upon her in her confirmation hearings: gender — specifically, what makes a woman a woman.
Ketanji Brown Jackson Asked to Define ‘Woman’ at Hearing - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Dogknox20

Why did you bring this up, and start a discussion about it?

She is being interviewed right now.. This caught my attention...
I think for a "Judge on the Supreme Court" that does NOT know the difference between the two; Male Female we have a problem!

F1fan

Veteran Member
PERFECT... Female is a very good answer.. She could not answer.. You should be a Judge!
When a politician asks a mundane, rhetorical question like this they have an ulterior motive, and that motive is a trap. Smart people know not to enter the trap. These traps are about power and typically will be misrepresented. You don't seem to understand this nuance.

F1fan

Veteran Member
She is being interviewed right now.. This caught my attention...
I think for a "Judge on the Supreme Court" that does NOT know the difference between the two; Male Female we have a problem!
Did it not occur to you that this is a misleading statement? Where did you hear this statement?