• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the best spiritual book you have ever read?

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
The Book of Gates is really good. Ancient Egyptian book.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I don't have one. As someone who accepts Meher Baba is the Avatar, anything by or about him especially the extensive biography Lord Meher.

Beyond that, there is no #1. I've learned something from many different ones.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I dunno about "best" but one of the best religious books I happened to read at the right time was:

You Are Therefore I Am: A Declaration of Dependence by UIT Cambridge Ltd.

Memoirs are not a genre I read. I don't know why I picked up this book years ago at the public library. Maybe it was something about the title and it's play on words that caught my attention. But I thoroughly enjoy how this book challenges and shatters self-centered norms so prevalent in Western philosophy and in our general way of thinking about the world. I'd always hated the saying "I think, therefore I am" but at the time wasn't able to articulate why very well. This book does it for me.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Yep, though I’ve only read excerpts and condensations. However, the Gita is my go-to.

I've read condensations, too. I did buy a complete translation(which takes up almost a whole bookshelf) not long ago; hope to get it all read eventually.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I have to cheat and list a few:

- The Tao
- Illusions (already mentioned above)
- Be Here Now
- The Crack in the Cosmic Egg
- I am a Strange Loop

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
"The Monk and the Philosopher: A Father and Son Discuss the Meaning of Life" by Jean Francis Revel and Matthieu Ricard. Ricard is a former French scientist who became a monk who is now an advisor to the Dalai Lama.

It is by far the most thought-provoking book I have ever read.