• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the best argument for an atheist?

ninerbuff

godless wonder
IDK try joining the church and find out for yourself. If you are into that kind of thing then why ask questions?
You asked for another atheist argument. It's written in the bible scripture, and apparently these people are trying to prove it true. Don't you have the same faith as them to do the same?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
What's the matter? No evidence of their existence?

Kinda like a certain deity of some desert nomads......

You want to make a case for pink unicorns and then want me to provide evidence? Where is the logic in that?

Not at all. You condemn the Atheist for demanding evidence before belief. Why is it illogical to have evidence before belief? Should we all just open our minds up to any belief that feels good to us, without any evidence at all?
What about you?
Do you believe in Krishna?
Set?
Ba'al?
Gaia?
Branwen?
YHVH?
Why or why not?

Wotan

This one has trouble with analogies for some reason. I gave a similar analogy that was also called stupid, though the objection was totally missing the point. I don't know if it's a problem with reading comprehension or if it's deliberate.

Ah MM, your naiveté is showing. It is often neither. It is simply the belief ITSELF. Belief in these myths is corrosive of reasoning ability. As you gain more experience with this malady you well see what I mean.:)

Now the case before us may be an exception in that we might have here a clever and mischievous fellow who IS being deliberately obtuse. Time well tell.

Provided that is you are willing to invest the time in reading him.

I'm not.:run:

linwood

Please let’s get off the subject of unicorns and fairytales. I’m glad everyone is flattered by superstition but please don’t bring this into an intelligible debate.

The atheists didn`t bring superstition into this debate.
Some theist did when he brought up the concept of god.

Gloone

Wotan said:
Ah MM, your naiveté is showing. It is often neither. It is simply the belief ITSELF. Belief in these myths is corrosive of reasoning ability. As you gain more experience with this malady you well see what I mean.

Now the case before us may be an exception in that we might have here a clever and mischievous fellow who IS being deliberately obtuse. Time well tell.

Provided that is you are willing to invest the time in reading him.

I'm not.
MM and many other atheists are not even on the same level as me. It isn’t even really much of a debate.

Meow Mix said:
Instead of all this hostility why don't we converse like friends who are trying to figure something out?
I try to do that with atheist but usually I am the only one that gets anything out of it. I have known and debated many atheist and none of them resort to this BS. Usually they are straight forward.
Meox Mix said:
Linwood's analogy was meaningful; as was my box analogy (which you still haven't really tackled by the way; in that thread you've only diverted with yet another red herring).
I have already discussed your box analogy and you didn’t want anything to do with it. Linwoods analogy of unicorns doesn’t even come close to reasoning. So I can see why you two might share some common similarities.
Meow Mix said:
Just curious on why you routinely miss points, attack straw-men, then vulgarly call people's legitimate questions stupid. There's something wrong there. Why do you take such a beligerent approach rather than a collected and searching approach for one? Why this "me vs. them, their ideas are so stupid and I'll tell them that to their faces" approach?
No comment.

Gloone

The atheists didn`t bring superstition into this debate.
Some theist did when he brought up the concept of god.
You should take some time to re-read what you just posted. If it doesn't make any sense to you, then I don't know how a theist would.

ninerbuff

godless wonder

Usually the first thing and only thing that comes to mind is prove it! Prove god exist!

Is that the only argument atheists have or is there something better? When I see this argument I see an argument that isn’t very well thought out or designed. Since an atheist has no grounds of belief to stand is it normal for them to criticize other people’s religion to buff up their own lack of philosophical views and beliefs?

Also if you can think of some other atheist arguments go ahead and add them to this thread. I would like to see some other out of the ordinary arguments made by atheist.
Just like many "homeopathic" remedies, religion relies on belief more than actual proof. So just going on belief without proof, would you rely on acupuncture to cure cancer?

Beaudreaux

Usually the first thing and only thing that comes to mind is prove it! Prove god exist!

Is that the only argument atheists have or is there something better? When I see this argument I see an argument that isn’t very well thought out or designed. Since an atheist has no grounds of belief to stand is it normal for them to criticize other people’s religion to buff up their own lack of philosophical views and beliefs?

Also if you can think of some other atheist arguments go ahead and add them to this thread. I would like to see some other out of the ordinary arguments made by atheist.
Your example of "prove it" is not an argument for atheism. Atheists do not posit any particular belief, but rather do not posit a belief in God. Most monotheists, on the other hand, make an incredible claim: that there is an omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent spiritual being who performed miracles in the past to whom everyone should devote their lives. An atheist may very well say "prove it" IN RESPONSE to this claim and that is completely reasonable.

Gloone

I don't know if I can defend my atheism what with your devastating critique in the OP. I might have to rethink my position.
Cough - even though that was not my intentions I did plan on getting some more theist responses to bashing atheist than I did atheist trying to defend their systems of beliefs. Funny how the world turns eh? I usually hate it when I'm put on the defensive I'm sure it is no different than some of the atheist that have displayed their displeasure with my OP. ;)

Gloone

You can be an agnostic atheist. I'm not one. But simply stating ones atheism in terms of doubt of supernaturalism doesn't make someone any less an atheist. I'll leave No True Scotsman-ism to the theists.
Idk, Wotan seems to be the elder of that department, we may have to resort to him for advice on that one.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
MM and many other atheists are not even on the same level as me. It isn’t even really much of a debate.

Have you wondered why there have been no less than four people who have used the phrase "missed the point" with you?

Do you think that's a coincidence, or do you think everyone else but you misses the point?

I see that you're clearly disinterested in civil discourse, and from the looks of it, disinterested in discourse at all.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I need no argument other than"Prove It".

Without the theists assertion that "God exists" there wouldn`t even be any a-theists.
Therefore it is the responsibility of those who make the claim to provide evidence for their claim.
If they cannot then there really is no debate and as far as I know they cannot provide any evidence.
So apparently all these "debates" are really just for ***** & giggles.
The point, though, is that "prove it" is not an argument, but a demand to provide evidence for a claim.