• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the best argument for an atheist?

Gloone

Usually the first thing and only thing that comes to mind is prove it! Prove god exist!

Is that the only argument atheists have or is there something better? When I see this argument I see an argument that isn’t very well thought out or designed. Since an atheist has no grounds of belief to stand is it normal for them to criticize other people’s religion to buff up their own lack of philosophical views and beliefs?

Also if you can think of some other atheist arguments go ahead and add them to this thread. I would like to see some other out of the ordinary arguments made by atheist.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
My atheist argument is that I can find adequate descriptions of the world we see around us in today's science without having to resort to postulating an omnipotent, omnipresent creator entity in order to make things turn out as they have.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
I don't know if I can defend my atheism what with your devastating critique in the OP. I might have to rethink my position.

Tristesse

The thing is, an atheist doesn't need an argument to not believe what religion is selling. It's the theists job to present compelling evidence to convince. However, there are much better arguments than the "prove it" argument.

waitasec

Veteran Member

Usually the first thing and only thing that comes to mind is prove it! Prove god exist!

Is that the only argument atheists have or is there something better? When I see this argument I see an argument that isn’t very well thought out or designed. Since an atheist has no grounds of belief to stand is it normal for them to criticize other people’s religion to buff up their own lack of philosophical views and beliefs?

Also if you can think of some other atheist arguments go ahead and add them to this thread. I would like to see some other out of the ordinary arguments made by atheist.

did you ever think the ideology doesn't resonate with certain people...:rolleyes:

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie

So let me get this straight.
There is no empirical evidence that a deity exists.
Much less evidence that the Abrahamic God exists.
And many Atheists come to their conclusion based on the above facts.
And you find this to be an ill-thought conclusion?
:facepalm:

Gunfingers

Happiness Incarnate

You are indeed looking at the primary argument for the atheist. This is not an argument from ignorance or a simple criticism, however. It's basic epistemology.
A positive claim requires evidence. "I am wearing a watch" is a positive claim, and you should not believe i am wearing a watch without some evidence. Basically, the default position should always be skepticism. From a philosophical standpoint that is.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
So let me get this straight.
There is no empirical evidence that a deity exists.
Much less evidence that the Abrahamic God exists.
And many Atheists come to their conclusion based on the above facts.
And you find this to be an ill-thought conclusion?
:facepalm:
Actually, he didn't say that. He said, "prove it! prove it!" is an ill-thought out argument. And it is. :)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

When it comes right down to it, that's the only genuinely atheist argument that there is.

In one way of looking at it, atheism is the position that claims for theism have not met their burden of proof. The only way to counter this is to show that a claim for theism has met the burden of proof.

We can add to this, of course: for instance, I could say that you can't meet the burden of proof for your particular set of religious beliefs because they're false (and in making this claim, I'd be assuming a burden of proof of my own). But this sort of thing isn't necessary for atheism.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
You are indeed looking at the primary argument for the atheist. This is not an argument from ignorance or a simple criticism, however. It's basic epistemology.
A positive claim requires evidence. "I am wearing a watch" is a positive claim, and you should not believe i am wearing a watch without some evidence. Basically, the default position should always be skepticism. From a philosophical standpoint that is.
If it's the case that the default position should always be skepticism, then even visible evidence that you are wearing a watch should be doubted. Skepticism is not terribly supportable, and makes a poor base for argument.

Gunfingers

Happiness Incarnate
If it's the case that the default position should always be skepticism, then even visible evidence that you are wearing a watch should be doubted. Skepticism is not terribly supportable, and makes a poor base for argument.
Skepticism in this context refers simply to placing the burden of proof on any positive claim. You can abuse epistemology and start going into whether we all live in the matrix and the things we think we see aren't there, but that position completely negates any possibility to ever know anything which isn't helpful at all.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If it's the case that the default position should always be skepticism, then even visible evidence that you are wearing a watch should be doubted.
Sure - we should worry about the quality of our evidence and data. What's wrong with that?

Skepticism is not terribly supportable, and makes a poor base for argument.
As default positions go, skepticism is more supportable and workable than the alternative. If your default position is to accept all claims until they're refuted, you would arrive at a large number of logical contradictions fairly quickly... unless you see no problem in simultaneously accepting that I'm wearing a watch only on my right wrist, only on my left wrist, on both wrists, and that I'm not wearing a watch at all, for instance.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Skepticism in this context refers simply to placing the burden of proof on any positive claim. You can abuse epistemology and start going into whether we all live in the matrix and the things we think we see aren't there, but that position completely negates any possibility to ever know anything which isn't helpful at all.
I agree, arguments about whether things "are there" are completely unhelpful. But I wouldn't call burden of proof skepticism. :)

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Actually, he didn't say that. He said, "prove it! prove it!" is an ill-thought out argument. And it is. :)
I suppose if someone started a conversation with,"Hey, your a Christian. Prove to me, an atheist, that God exists!", that would be a rash and argumentative way to demonstrate why one is an Atheist.

However, If a Christian were to come up to an Atheist and say, "Why do you not believe in God?", and the Atheist replied, "I find the evidence for God to be lacking".
The prove-it would logically come if the Christian insisted that God does indeed exist.

Amill

Apikoros
I usually just go with the fact that my experiences have lead me to believe there isn't a god. And I've never seen any demonstrable evidence for god so why would I ask someone to "prove it" when I already know the answer.

strikeviperMKII

Anyone who claims something has a burden of proof to that claim.
Even asking for a proof is claiming something, because you think you know what the proof is, how it should be laid out, what it will look like, and so on and so on. I could very easily ask why that proof is proof, and then ask why the proof of the proof is proof and so and so on.