• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is Proselytizing?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
As is evidenced by a recent thread on the forum where someone gives a narrative on an experience he had in church, there appears to be some confusion by our membership as to what proselytizing is.

Merriam-Webster defines "proselytize" as "to induce someone to convert to one's faith."

Definition of PROSELYTIZE

Yet, on the mere sight of a narrative of an Christian experience, with no apparent intent to convert anyone, more than one member cried "proselytizing."

Do you have a different definition than the one above for proselytizing? If so, where did you find it?

If it's your own definition, wouldn't using such a definition publicly with the expectation of others using the term the same way be a form of proselytizing itself?

Discuss.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
As is evidenced by a recent thread on the forum where someone gives a narrative on an experience he had in church, there appears to be some confusion by our membership as to what proselytizing is.

Merriam-Webster defines "proselytize" as "to induce someone to convert to one's faith."

Yet, on the mere sight of a narrative of an Christian experience, with no apparent intent to convert anyone, more than one member cried "proselytizing."

Do you have a different definition than the one above for proselytizing? If so, where did you find it?

If it's your own definition, wouldn't using such a definition publicly with the expectation of others using the term the same way be a form of proselytizing itself?

Discuss.

Well .... it's subtle.
I think it is on several levels. There is direct proselytising, and from there, various techniques, right down to the devious and sneaky, like friendship evangelism, or gifts (food)for the purpose. Direct proselytising is easy to determine as there is no reading between the lines. The intent is clear. In all the other variations, and techniques, it's tougher to determine, and takes time and a keen observation.

A person may well be nice to you, with no ulterior motives. He/she may also be there pretending, just to convert you. Nobody here is a mind reader, so it takes awhile to determine motive.

If there is a habit, over and over, of wearing your religion on your sleeve, and a definite history of proselytising, it's safer to jump to the conclusion that the intent is still there, but it can become increasingly subtle. People do learn to hide intent.

In cases like the one you mentioned, I'm willing to give the person the benefit of the doubt, but would remain watchful for more direct signs.

So I think it has to be more obvious than sharing a story. One determiner for me, is if they're willing to listen to your story in return, or just insist on the communication being one way ... them to you.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

I am not sure if the other members have a different definition. I think they might have thought that the post in question was a veiled attempt at converting others.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I think the OP referred to wasn't strictly meeting that definition, however I also think some may have been second-guessing the purpose of the thread (correctly or not).

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I am not sure if the other members have a different definition. I think they might have thought that the post in question was a veiled attempt at converting others.

What factors would lead them to think this?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I think the OP referred to wasn't strictly meeting that definition, however I also think some may have been second-guessing the purpose of the thread (correctly or not).

As I see it, those that were doing the second-guessing the purpose of the thread were doing so without having adequate evidence draw such a conclusion.

I, personally, am not certain of the intent of the OP, but until there is evidence that points to proselytizing, I think it's foolhardy to make such an accusation given the lack of evidence presented in that thread.

I find it ironic that there are those that are so are quick to point out that there is no evidence of God, but will pile on a proselytizing accusation with a complete lack of evidence.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist

Discuss.

You are of course referring to this thread.

Help me I am confused what does this mean ?

Not proselytizing. Asking what a vision or hallucination means.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
I got myself accused of proselytizing once when I honestly didn't intend to do so. Some members thought that the quote I had selected unduly appealed to some members' unconscious feelings (guilt?) and as the quote was from the founder of a fundamentalist religion, voila, the accusation of proselityzing was there. Based upon this experience, I'd say proselytizing has a manipulative element.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Which thread?

I'd have to see the thread to see where I fall on this particular difference of opinion. Sometimes, something that's apparent to one person isn't necessarily apparent to another.

The definition of proselytizing I generally go by also includes attempts by people of no faith to convert people away from their religion.

I found it through observing usage (e.g. how RF's rules interpret "proselytizing"), but it's in line with the definitions in other common dictionaries.

Wow - what a "meta" question.

By the definition you just gave, trying to persuade others to use your personal definition for a word wouldn't be proselytizing.

Not all persuasion - or attempted persuasion - is proselytizing. It's only proselytizing if it's aimed at causing a religious conversion.

While I've seen people approach the issue of semantics with a near-religious zeal, no particular set of word definitions makes up a religion in and of itself (at least as far as I'm aware).

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Discuss.

The dictionary definition is sufficient, although for me, a key element in proselytizing is that it's often unsolicited. I might be walking down the street minding my own business, and all of a sudden someone stops me and wants to talk to me about Jesus. Or people just yelling/preaching in the streets. It's their right, of course, so I would never interfere with that, but it would still be unsolicited proselytizing.

I'm not sure how it would apply here on RF, at least in terms of enforcing the rule against proselytizing. Obviously, people are going to talk about religion, and people might even say why they believe a certain way. But proselytizing might be something more like advertising or someone who has a sales pitch.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This is not accurate. Please see the second definition in the OP's link.
I didn't realize that positions on the definitions of words were now a "party, institution or cause." ;)

The word "proselytize" - like many other words - gets used as a figure of speech. It's a common use of hyperbole to describe other attempts to change minds. It's similar to how, for instance, we use "czar" to describe the head of a government agency or program.

... so that's why the second definition of "proselytize" is in there, but the first definition captures the literal meaning of the word.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
As I see it, those that were doing the second-guessing the purpose of the thread were doing so without having adequate evidence draw such a conclusion.

I, personally, am not certain of the intent of the OP, but until there is evidence that points to proselytizing, I think it's foolhardy to make such an accusation given the lack of evidence presented in that thread.

I find it ironic that there are those that are so are quick to point out that there is no evidence of God, but will pile on a proselytizing accusation with a complete lack of evidence.

I can't remember posting, but I did read the OP. I would say I'm firmly sitting on the fence at this point.

There's no context with a new member. It's easier to assess if someone is long established as to the context.

Did I mention the Buddha is the only true path?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You are of course referring to this thread.

Help me I am confused what does this mean ?

Not proselytizing. Asking what a vision or hallucination means.
I think it comes down to one's judgment of whether that poster was being sincere.

I'd personally lean toward the conclusion that he's sincere (though quite likely struggling with some challenges), but at the same time, I don't think it would be unreasonable for someone else to conclude that the story was made up.