• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is myth?

So does a myth just say something about something or somebody or must it also contain something important to learn?

I've got a Grimms Fairy tale book waiting on me at the library with complimentary by Joseph Campbell. I hope it touches on this subject.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Define myth, in your own words, please. I've seen the word used in many ways, and I'm looking to get a grasp of the variety of concepts at these forums.

(And please, nobody be telling other people they are wrong.)

In my view, a myth is a story that the ancients told about the divine to portray metaphorical and symbolic truths. Taken literally, myths are just ridicilous and unrealistic.

Wannabe Yogi

Carl Jung showed that all human beings shared some of the same unconscious psychological forces, that he named archetypes. Jung believed that the similarities between the myths from different cultures reveals the existence of these universal archetypes that are common to the human experience.

I believe that modern man’s anxieties and existential angst is partly due to the rejection of myths and the sense of the sacred they bring to every day life.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Some myths like the Greek Classics may also be just the ancients wanted to write a story about god in a human scenario.

gnostic

The Lost One
Thanks, Wannabe Yogi. Appreciate your comments and frubal.

wannabe yogi said:
Carl Jung showed that all human beings shared some of the same unconscious psychological forces, that he named archetypes. Jung believed that the similarities between the myths from different cultures reveals the existence of these universal archetypes that are common to the human experience.

I believe that modern man’s anxieties and existential angst is partly due to the rejection of myths and the sense of the sacred they bring to every day life.

This is an old thread. Never took any psychology classes, so my knowledge on Jung is limited, but I am aware that he had written a fair deal about archetypes with regards to dreams and myths. And I would guess that he had great influence on Joseph Campbell, another person whose works I have not read, except small extracts (or quotes) here and there.

Most of what I know about Jung actually comes from his ownership of one Gnostic codex (it became known as the Jungian Codex) from the Nag Hammadi. About 2004-2005 I became fascinated by Gnosticism, particularly their literature.

lkoukakis

According to Alan Dundes, a myth is a sacred narrative explaining how the world and humankind assumed their present form, although, in a very broad sense, the word can refer to any traditional story.
Bruce Lincoln defines myth as "ideology in narrative form".
Myths may arise as either truthful depictions or overelaborated accounts of historical events, as allegory for or personification of natural phenomena, or as an explanation of ritual. They are transmitted to convey religious or idealized experience, to establish behavioral models, and to teach.

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
Not proven false or true but no longer reigning in a principle position, myth, not principle in importance yet relevant on occasion, often used.

syo

Define myth, in your own words, please. I've seen the word used in many ways, and I'm looking to get a grasp of the variety of concepts at these forums.

(And please, nobody be telling other people they are wrong.)
myth is a storytelling that holds truth.

jonathan180iq

A myth is any culturally derived explanation of an event or phenomenon. They vary anywhere on the truth-meter from "This absolutely happened just as described" to "This is 100% imaginary nonsense."

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Ahhhh...Myth...
that storied story of the happening that might have spelled out the occurance of falsified imagination.
The truth of life that could be imagined only in one's own mind,
modified by one's own additions to the original tale,
and repeated to another as if it was really true.
Ahhhh...the dream of it all....myth !