• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what is left hand path

Orias

Left Hand Path
I agree, as in, the LHP uses itself as a scapegoat for it's own need to be "us" vs "them".

Well not only that, its a fairly invisible concept...the "LHP".

There is a stigma attached to it that no one really knows what it is.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Here's the thing, LHP is pretty much supposed to be a vague concept, that's the whole point and the whole appeal. Ask a Wiccan if they are an occultist and, in my experience, they'll ignorantly deny, because they even view "occult" negatively. Now we have two terms that are associated both being hidden and vague. The vagueness also adds to the shock / fear factor and I guarantee many of us got here through LaVey, so it's no surprise. Commonly we see it defined as perhaps use of "satanic symbolism", but then the Mormons are LHP. It could be raditically individualism, but ToS is LHP. It could be darkness, but crucified saviors and human sacrifice are far darker. Then there's people like me who can't be categorized as RHP yet I care about the collective, I want my ego in check, etc.

They're stupid terms.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The LHP comes from a sub-group of Hindu priests who practiced Vamachara, or Left Handed Attainment. Rather than abstaining from the world, as traditional Hindu priests, these people found their path of spirituality by indulging in the taboo (sex, alcohol, drugs), and maintaining a balance of these indulgences that did not consume them. Though many different approaches have evolved over the years, one thing that typically remains constant is embracing the taboo. And this can mean many different things to contemporary adherents.

CynthiaCypher

The Left Hand Path is more antinomian when it comes to achieving enlightenment, those following that path are more open to change and creating a path for themselves. Those on the Right Hand believe in strict rules and practices as the path to enlightenment, they are more traditional believing that what works...works.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Let me begin by saying; "Now I know what you are all talking about"
The mess of misunderstandings and opposition I read here concerning the defining of the LHP is monumental. To this, I will bow out and let you all fight amongst yourselves. :faint: :thud:

The LHP comes from a sub-group of Hindu priests who practiced Vamachara, or Left Handed Attainment. Rather than abstaining from the world, as traditional Hindu priests, these people found their path of spirituality by indulging in the taboo (sex, alcohol, drugs), and maintaining a balance of these indulgences that did not consume them. Though many different approaches have evolved over the years, one thing that typically remains constant is embracing the taboo. And this can mean many different things to contemporary adherents.
This is exactly the misinformation I'm talking about. Due to Madman Blavatsky's inability to comprehend what vamachara / aghora is really about, the entire occult community was set back a spell trying to make sense of her nonsense.

Mahayana Buddhism and tantric practices may be antinomian, but in the end they achieve the same goal as their Thervadic brothers . . . to be One with Brahman. The very definition of right hand path.

The Left Hand Path is more antinomian when it comes to achieving enlightenment, those following that path are more open to change and creating a path for themselves. Those on the Right Hand believe in strict rules and practices as the path to enlightenment, they are more traditional believing that what works...works.
Being antinomian can be used in either path, as I just stated above, both left & right hand paths include strict Apollonian disciplines in order to achieve certain results. Both paths also have their Dionysian dances as well! :beach:

CynthiaCypher

Being antinomian can be used in either path, as I just stated above, both left & right hand paths include strict Apollonian disciplines in order to achieve certain results. Both paths also have their Dionysian dances as well! :beach:

So it's more a difference in flavor then?

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
... and this is among the reasons I do not call myself or my path "LHP". The constant fighting over definition and idiotic hair splitting.

Hey, we never claimed to be a community that gets along with each other. We're like a bunch of lone wolves. You have to stand on your own in order to be LHP.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Let me begin by saying; "Now I know what you are all talking about"
The mess of misunderstandings and opposition I read here concerning the defining of the LHP is monumental. To this, I will bow out and let you all fight amongst yourselves. :faint: :thud:

This is exactly the misinformation I'm talking about. Due to Madman Blavatsky's inability to comprehend what vamachara / aghora is really about, the entire occult community was set back a spell trying to make sense of her nonsense.

Mahayana Buddhism and tantric practices may be antinomian, but in the end they achieve the same goal as their Thervadic brothers . . . to be One with Brahman. The very definition of right hand path.
Since dispelling misinformation is what you are after, let me dispel some more misinformation:
http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...dhists-only-no-brahman-teaching-buddhism.html

Yadon

Here's the thing, LHP is pretty much supposed to be a vague concept, that's the whole point and the whole appeal. Ask a Wiccan if they are an occultist and, in my experience, they'll ignorantly deny, because they even view "occult" negatively. Now we have two terms that are associated both being hidden and vague. The vagueness also adds to the shock / fear factor and I guarantee many of us got here through LaVey, so it's no surprise. Commonly we see it defined as perhaps use of "satanic symbolism", but then the Mormons are LHP. It could be raditically individualism, but ToS is LHP. It could be darkness, but crucified saviors and human sacrifice are far darker. Then there's people like me who can't be categorized as RHP yet I care about the collective, I want my ego in check, etc.

They're stupid terms.

+1

At least in The Dharmic religions the term makes sense, in the west it's just kind of a silly thing when taken too seriously. The most dark thing any of us have probably done here is wear pentagrams, listen to metal and maybe a little bit of blood magic and said profanities to other religion's figures in a few cathartic rituals. I can't imagine that but maybe a couple of people have ever sacrificed an animal or anything other than that or done anything really dark.

The majority of our real practices would be just ordinary people stuff with an individualist bent. Just look at the Temple of Set, the tendency to share some elements with fascism aside, isn't it just a bunch of ordinary dudes practicing magic?

I don't know if I would say they indulge per se... those are more tools than an end goal itself.

Exactly this has been what I've been trying to say in here for several pages now.

I could of sworn that the Buddha didn't believe in Gods and said he saw no evidence for Brahman, but that aside, what is wrong with to be one with Brahman? That is, unconsciously all of our greatest desire. Only by becoming united into our ecosystem and environment can we accomplish total fulfillment, but most people don't see this in such symbolic terms but more concrete ones. The person who is happy, in the moment, doing what they love and just enjoying life as a well adjusted and healthy person is more in sync with nature and more united with Brahman than the occultist who studies for years yet is still unhappy and has not used their full potential.

crossfire

Premium Member

They're stupid terms.
With the contemplative path, you do have to put aside personal biases in order not to distort your view of reality (become the blank slate or the uncarved block--Taoist pu,) and become receptive (yin) to what is really there. However, a receptive blank slate/uncarved block can be irresistible to those prone to projecting their own ideas/biases/hang-ups onto it. (Graffiti artists) While this can be a real pain in the neck to the one being projected upon, it can also be employed as a means of lesser black magick by the western tradition, if I am not mistaken. (Please correct me if I am wrong.)

As a system, the term LHP might be such a "blank slate" for projection.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
+1

At least in The Dharmic religions the term makes sense, in the west it's just kind of a silly thing when taken too seriously. The most dark thing any of us have probably done here is wear pentagrams, listen to metal and maybe a little bit of blood magic and said profanities to other religion's figures in a few cathartic rituals. I can't imagine that but maybe a couple of people have ever sacrificed an animal or anything other than that or done anything really dark.

The majority of our real practices would be just ordinary people stuff with an individualist bent. Just look at the Temple of Set, the tendency to share some elements with fascism aside, isn't it just a bunch of ordinary dudes practicing magic?

I don't know if I would say they indulge per se... those are more tools than an end goal itself.

Exactly this has been what I've been trying to say in here for several pages now.

I could of sworn that the Buddha didn't believe in Gods and said he saw no evidence for Brahman, but that aside, what is wrong with to be one with Brahman? That is, unconsciously all of our greatest desire. Only by becoming united into our ecosystem and environment can we accomplish total fulfillment, but most people don't see this in such symbolic terms but more concrete ones. The person who is happy, in the moment, doing what they love and just enjoying life as a well adjusted and healthy person is more in sync with nature and more united with Brahman than the occultist who studies for years yet is still unhappy and has not used their full potential.
Yeah yeah yeah . . . I noticed that too, I lumped together Vedic and Buddhist terms :clap

Theravada is pointedly atheistic, but Mahayana has celestial Buddhas and Bodhisattvas who are worshiped as gods and goddesses. In the Tibetan Buddhist Bön Po tradition there exists a pantheon on deities.

Secondly, I never said there was anything wrong with 'being One with Brahman', but I did say this is not LHP. You are obviously not speaking for myself with "That is, unconsciously all of our greatest desire". :no:

The rest of your biased comment is not even worth replying to . . .

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
+1

With the contemplative path, you do have to put aside personal biases in order not to distort your view of reality (become the blank slate or the uncarved block--Taoist pu,) and become receptive (yin) to what is really there. However, a receptive blank slate/uncarved block can be irresistible to those prone to projecting their own ideas/biases/hang-ups onto it. (Graffiti artists) While this can be a real pain in the neck to the one being projected upon, it can also be employed as a means of lesser black magick by the western tradition, if I am not mistaken. (Please correct me if I am wrong.)

As a system, the term LHP might be such a "blank slate" for projection.
Your talking about Indviduation, or rather lack of, and NLP works for both L&RHP's . . . almost all RHP traditions rely heavily on Indoctrinating their children before their 'clean slate' can be written on by any other belief system.

Many LHP organizations will not affiliate anyone under the age of 18 for that reason alone.

Mortose

Dark Adept
+1

Sacrificing an animal is dark? Since when? Also, how about crushing someone beneath your boot just for the pleasure? Consuming energy from fools who come to you for aid? Turning those meant for light to darkness? Causing despair? Sending dark thought forms or entities, sometimes resulting in death or severe misfortune for the target? What about all that? There is more but that is all I can think of off hand for now.

Last edited:

crossfire

Premium Member
Sacrificing an animal is dark? Since when? Also, how about crushing someone beneath your boot just for the pleasure? Consuming energy from fools who come to you for aid? Turning those meant for light to darkness? Causing despair? Sending dark thought forms or entities, sometimes resulting in death or severe misfortune for the target? What about all that? There is more but that is all I can think of off hand for now.
RHP folks do that too.

Mortose

Dark Adept
Actually it's mostly RHP.

I have never met someone "light" who does any of this. Then again, most likely my definition of "dark/light" and yours differ greatly. Humans do criminal things and even the strongest Christian might be a psychopath/sociopath. You never know! However, those explicitly dark are another matter. There is a character associated with being dark in my opinion and most simply do not fit those qualifications. Disagree?

Last edited:

Mortose

Dark Adept
They just tend to be hypocritical about those things.

LHP are often just as hypocritical. Humans are humans, no? Social programming influences most to be sheep in some manner. Those who break out of this are considered evil, even by many of those claiming the LHP. I have a list of Satanists who hate me, for example.

Why? I think most of the rules in The Satanic Bible are ridiculous. Example: Telling adults not to harm little children. Obviously doing this is illegal, and making it an internal law is absurd. If an adult of clear mind is going to do it, he knows the consequences. If he is not of clear mind, really he has no business any organized LHP. Then again, having rules like this one just mean fear of the law "cracking down" on all those evil baby killing Satanists, right?

If you do not kill babies, why be concerned enough to write a rule in your "bible"? (In reference to LaVey). Fear of idiots thinking you do, getting investigated without due cause and so on, right? Ridiculous. Some really do go too far to ease the mind of sheep. Often so far they become them!

Last edited: