• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what is left hand path

JField

The question is pretty much in the title, I was just wandering as I have only a fairly faint idea of what it is or how it is practiced

Kemble

Essetially I understand it to mean something to do with carving one's life on one's own terms, not necessarily detached but awake to how cultural and social forces pull strings on one's life circumstances and gaining back that control. So the self is at the foreground and reality is seen closely related to "biocentric" (ala Dr. Robert Lanza) terms. It's a very self-aware state. Importantly there are gradations of maturity in "left hand path."

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
The question is pretty much in the title, I was just wandering as I have only a fairly faint idea of what it is or how it is practiced

Ego-inflation (constant vigilance!), contrasted with the ego-suppression (surrender, surrender...) of the RHP. Same end state, different methods.

Kemble

"Ego inflation" --is that supposed to be describing an adolescent who doesn't care about anyone else, wants everything now, overestimates his abilities, and acts like a dick to his parents?

Also curious if "responsible self-interest" features in your final vocabulary. With a paraphrase of the "ego is evil!" cliche I think the post above is a good look at how social forces (mantras, memes, ideas) gets perpetuated in many people's thoughts (that is to say, "lhp" seeks to become more aware of that).:)

Last edited:

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
"Ego inflation" --is that supposed to be describing an adolescent who doesn't care about anyone else, wants everything now, overestimates his abilities, and acts like a dick to his parents?
Sounds about right. But that's (hopefully) only the adolescents.

Also curious if "responsible self-interest" features in your final vocabulary. With a paraphrase of the "ego is evil!" cliche I think the post above is a good look at how social forces (mantras, memes, ideas) gets perpetuated in many people's thoughts (that is to say, "lhp" seeks to become more aware of that).:)
Ego is evil? Where have I presumed that?

Ego is inflated in the LHP. It is inflated to a level of conscientiousness larger than is common. It inflates ego to attempt reabsorbing the shadowed self, to become whole. The end-state many LHPers talk of is apotheosis, becoming a god or the God, the epitome of inflated ego.

Whether this is an evil practice depends on what side of the fence you're on.

Kenaz

I Am
For me it is to recognize that we are the ones who have created the constructs that we live within; society, culture, ethics, gods and goddesses, rituals, meaning, etc. This is painful for many people, and rightfully so. Responsibility is not 'fun', but it is realizing that we are in fact responsible for our lives and its direction. If we do not take the reigns, then someone else will. It is, in a Gurdjieff-ian sense, to realize we are Asleep, to Awaken, and to stay in that state, to work from that level of consciousness. It is not easy, which is why many people have called Initiation Work.

It is much easier to fall asleep, to let what is established, the 'Matrix' establish and direct you throughout life. Responsibility scares many people, and some never have the courage or the strength to 'swim against the stream' that bombards us with influences. TV alone is such a momentous force that shapes our culture, and that is just the tip of the iceberg.

With that said, it is a Path of individuality and personal responsibility -- this includes gaining, assessing, and accepting what knowledge we take in as truth. Look into this, there is plenty of resources available for you to figure this out. Don't take my word for it, this is just my own experience and perspective.

Kemble

Ego is inflated in the LHP. It is inflated to a level of conscientiousness larger than is common. It inflates ego to attempt reabsorbing the shadowed self, to become whole. The end-state many LHPers talk of is apotheosis, becoming a god or the God, the epitome of inflated ego.

Safe bet there are loons in every niche. The better "lhp" folks I've seen (remember, gradations of maturity) already regard the self as "God," which only means the most important element in one's life. One can enjoy, learn from, share, and otherwise benefit from others who are also their own "Gods" (but probably >90% don't know it, displace that orientation on TV, bible, science, whatever as their "God"). Nothing about superpowers, conquering the world or solipsism.

Last edited:

Kemble

For me it is to recognize that we are the ones who have created the constructs that we live within; society, culture, ethics, gods and goddesses, rituals, meaning, etc. This is painful for many people, and rightfully so. Responsibility is not 'fun', but it is realizing that we are in fact responsible for our lives and its direction. If we do not take the reigns, then someone else will. It is, in a Gurdjieff-ian sense, to realize we are Asleep, to Awaken, and to stay in that state, to work from that level of consciousness. It is not easy, which is why many people have called Initiation Work.

It is much easier to fall asleep, to let what is established, the 'Matrix' establish and direct you throughout life. Responsibility scares many people, and some never have the courage or the strength to 'swim against the stream' that bombards us with influences. TV alone is such a momentous force that shapes our culture, and that is just the tip of the iceberg.

With that said, it is a Path of individuality and personal responsibility -- this includes gaining, assessing, and accepting what knowledge we take in as truth. Look into this, there is plenty of resources available for you to figure this out. Don't take my word for it, this is just my own experience and perspective.

Great way to put it!

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
The better "lhp" folks I've seen (remember, gradations of maturity) already regard the self as "God," which only means the most important element in one's life. One can enjoy, learn from, share, and otherwise benefit from others who are also their own "Gods" (but probably >90% don't know it, displace that orientation on TV, bible, science, whatever as their "God"). Nothing about superpowers, conquering the world or solipsism.
And regarding the self as "God" would not be a level of ego larger than the commonplace? God is a term of power to those that wield it.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
I am the left handed path! Also I won the left handed path.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Safe bet there are loons in every niche. The better "lhp" folks I've seen (remember, gradations of maturity) already regard the self as "God," which only means the most important element in one's life. One can enjoy, learn from, share, and otherwise benefit from others who are also their own "Gods" (but probably >90% don't know it, displace that orientation on TV, bible, science, whatever as their "God"). Nothing about superpowers, conquering the world or solipsism.
science is not one of the false gods.

Contemplative Cat

energy formation
In the east it is methods to enlightenment that goes against conventional norms.
Like tantrk sex, hash smoking, and the method of letting go of all attachment even to the feeling and perceptions of others.

Ego-inflation (constant vigilance!), contrasted with the ego-suppression (surrender, surrender...) of the RHP. Same end state, different methods.

^^This^^

The caveat being, we never actually reach an end state. It's a matter of walking a path you are supposed to be walking vs cutting a path. The latter is much harder, and to attempt it leaves many either stuck or going in circles, so it certainly isn't for everyone.

But the rewards are sweet for those that get to them :)

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

Isn't this same end state just nothingness? I really don't know why I am of the Left Hand Path, I don't know why I am anything, I just am, and will be, until I once again become nothing, which I always am.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Isn't this same end state just nothingness? I really don't know why I am of the Left Hand Path, I don't know why I am anything, I just am, and will be, until I once again become nothing, which I always am.

Basically. You either expand the ego to encompass all that is, effectively dissolving it into reality, or you compress and annihilate it.