• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is incorrect with those humans who comment sarcastically?

Kirran

Premium Member
Sarcasm is the least genuine mode of communication. Sarcasm is a mask for hiding one's true opinions, thoughts, and/or feelings.

Not if you understand it, it is not. I use it plenty, it's a big part of communication in my culture, and I know whether it's lying or not. I am religiously against lying, so if sarcasm was lying I would feel very differently about it.

sovietchild

Now who is being dishonest? No one took issue with keeping dogs outside. Obviously the objection was toward the suggestion that there was something wrong with those who keep them indoors, or that there was something wrong with dogs themselves.

How is it "based on a mistaken belief"? when people around the world keep them outside. Even American Indians were shocked to see them inside when Europeans arrived.

I believe there are some people who think they are right and that other people who don't agree with them are wrong. This is because they think they are smart already and have the right answers. So they keep questioning the people who don't agree with them in order to make them realize they are wrong, rather than to gain more knowledge.

But prophet Machamudim once said, "If you think you are smart you are an ignorant idiot". And this is why people like that keep getting bullied.

Any post is a good post, even if it's negative.

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Well, @sovietchild , as I said, you are a curious animal. This is good. Hopefully now you understand the true nature of sarcasm and perhaps realize it isn't what you thought it was.

A Vestigial Mote

Sarcasm is an open lie. Is it not? Sarcasm is the opposite of the truth for the purpose of humor.
Sarcasm is insincere in order to make a point. For instance, to issue an agreement with someone to a ridiculous degree, or to agree in such a way that makes the recipient of the comment understand that the person does not really agree, and that they really believe that to agree with such is actually quite ridiculous.

Granted, it is insincerity at its core, but its intent is NOT to deceive. On the contrary, the intent is to display the REAL truth as it is felt by the person employing sarcasm, and to get the recipient to feel and understand more the opinion of the person using the sarcasm.

Sometimes stating things plainly simply does not work. Sometimes people simply need to be mocked in order to understand and feel how ridiculous they make themselves appear.

sovietchild

Well, @sovietchild , as I said, you are a curious animal. This is good. Hopefully now you understand the true nature of sarcasm and perhaps realize it isn't what you thought it was.

Maybe it isn't what you thought it was.

Sarcasm is also a way of asking for what you want when you are scared to ask for it directly.