• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is God to you?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Even as a Hindu?

Yes. Hinduism has 3 primary yogas (paths); Bhakti (path of devotion), karma (the path of action), and jnana (the path of knowledge). There are those that walk more than one path, and there are those that walk a single path.

As a jnani, I am a transtheist. While I acknowledge the existence of gods and the need for them in pragmatic reality, they are transcended by liberation.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
What do you think?
To me God is the Supreme Being who created and sustains existence

I don't think we humans are bright enough to ever hope to understand him

But there's no shame in that

We are only as intelligent as we need to be to survive and pass on our genes

But on the plus side, I believe he is rather benevolent, or at least not as awful as he could be....

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
The only gods that would be comprehensible to me are Elder Kin...the kind of folk that would welcome you in, listen to your problem and make some suggestions about what you might do, to tell a story or two to bolster you up, and that would see you were joined at table before going back on you way.;)

There may be larger, higher or more powerful deities, but really, what use is it giving them more than a cursory acknowledgement...they are beyond comprehension and we cannot enter into any meaningful interaction with them.:confused:o_O:eek::oops::rolleyes:

Just my view:D

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
To me, God is what animates us. Love, music, aesthetics, nature, etc, i.e., the things that move us. What do you think?

I don't use the word God to describe any aspect of reality or experience simply because the word carries baggage that I don't intend. Existence is mysterious. We can experience it as sacred and suspect that there is more to reality than matter in motion, but I resist going further than that, because I can't justify believing anything further, and don't need or want to guess.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
One way of expressing it intellectually is that God is the resolution of every paradox: in the world and not in the world. Manifest and unmanifest. Everywhere and beyond everywhere. Knowledge and ignorance.

But mostly God is my best friend and perfect playmate. The game most often is "hide and seek"!

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
One way of expressing it intellectually is that God is the resolution of every paradox: in the world and not in the world. Manifest and unmanifest. Everywhere and beyond everywhere. Knowledge and ignorance.

But mostly God is my best friend and perfect playmate. The game most often is "hide and seek"!

God's been taking your keys, too? :D

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
God is The Synverse, a point in which the creator and the creation, The Omniverse, becomes one, and the natural and the man-made come together, the best qualities of both are exemplified in each. The Synverse doesn't exist yet, however, there are many synverses (with an under-case s) with limited functionality that does. A synverse can be any point in which things change; anything that changes is a synverse. Change itself is not God (making myself different from Earthseed) but the thing that is able to change is. My definition of God is very much in line with the syntheist/pantheist view of God, and since change itself implies a being (rather than action), it could be viewed as the Earthseed definition of God too.

To me, God is what animates us. Love, music, aesthetics, nature, etc, i.e., the things that move us. What do you think?
The problem with this is that your making God based off emotional and feeling outputs. This is a problem because the heart is deceitful above all things. It causes a person to fancy someone and then because of a little issue, to stop fancying them. It also designs the outputs of the journey of faith. True faith is based on mentality, and desire not emotions. God is everything to the mind that is willing to be humble and stay humble to promote growth.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
The problem with this is that your making God based off emotional and feeling outputs. This is a problem because the heart is deceitful above all things. It causes a person to fancy someone and then because of a little issue, to stop fancying them. It also designs the outputs of the journey of faith. True faith is based on mentality, and desire not emotions. God is everything to the mind that is willing to be humble and stay humble to promote growth.

I don't see really anything to fancy. God, to me, is not a personal being, just a force. Like the Bible says, in God we live, move and have our being.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
What is God to you?

Or gods...

Nothing, i see no evidence that gods exist

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
God is all, in all … sarvaṁ khalvidaṁ brahma … “All this verily is Brahman”. Chāndogyopaniṣad 3.14.1 Meaning All this is Brahman. From It the universe comes forth, in It the universe merges, and in It the universe breathes”. Brahman is popularly thought of as God.