• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Dharma?

chinu

chinu
My understanding is that moksha simply means 'freedom from rebirth' and would be an outcome of what you describer above, which I agree with.
Say the glass is 1/2 full, or say 1/2 empty, its one and the same thing. :)
In my case it's called 'merging with Shiva.'
Say merging with Shiva, or Say merging with Something else, or whatever. The important is Merging not the thing in which we are going to merge because one can only know that thing after being merged, but never before that.:)

chinu

chinu
Like, the person who is planning for second job after getting retired from first job, neither such retirement is retirement, nor that person is interested in Retirement. Similarly, the person who is interested in knowing any kind of life after moksha, neither such a moksha is moksha nor that person is interested in getting moksha, Imo.

Ravi500

An interesting thought of Ralph waldo Emerson , which similarly rhymes with Dharma....

Truth is the summit of being; justice is the application of it to affairs.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Ravi,

Truth is the summit of being; justice is the application of it to affairs.
Ralph Waldo Emerson (May 25, 1803 – April 27, 1882) was an American essayist, lecturer, and poet, who led the Transcendentalist movement of the mid-19th century. He was seen as a champion of individualism and a prescient critic of the countervailing pressures of society, and he disseminated his thoughts through dozens of published essays and more than 1,500 public lectures across the United States.

Emerson gradually moved away from the religious and social beliefs of his contemporaries, formulating and expressing the philosophy of Transcendentalism in his 1836 essay, Nature
Surely an enlightened individual!

Love & rgds

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Like, the person who is planning for second job after getting retired from first job, neither such retirement is retirement, nor that person is interested in Retirement. Similarly, the person who is interested in knowing any kind of life after moksha, neither such a moksha is moksha nor that person is interested in getting moksha, Imo.
Nice, Chinu. But what is Moksha?

Has anyone quoted this common saying for 'dharma': 'Dharayet iti dharma' (Sort of "Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are good; these things are not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness,' enter on and abide in them." - What is good to be borne is dharma.

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member
I feel that for Hindus, dharma is a Sanskrit word from the Vedas. It cannot be and should not be delinked from its context .

Dharma in the vedic context means two things. One, Dharma means ‘what supports or sustains’ the universe. Second, Dharma also means moral and ethical duties, and as such it defines a way of life including philosophy, social order, science and history.

I provide a link here to a more detailed note on the subject:

http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...-note-dharma-sanatana-dharma.html#post3744193

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
A hearty thanks to all those who responded. :) My suspicions that indeed we have a varied understanding was substantially (perhaps overwhelmingly) confirmed.