• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Conscience?

allfoak

Alchemist
Is it something separate from us?
Is it part of us?
Is it both?

Does it exist at all?
What are we describing when we use the term conscience?

Orbit

I'm a planet
For most people your conscience is the sense of right and wrong that you have based on your socialization.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
As far as I remember "conscience" arises when we each do something that goes against our moral compass.
It is a part of our psychological dynamic and quite inseparable from the individual except in cases where people have specific mental deficiencies.

Orbit

I'm a planet
I'm not sure I understand what this means.
Do you mean to say that conscience is determined by culture?

It depends on the values you have been taught from childhood, so yes culture has a lot to do with it. Of course, few things are completely determined by anything; your own appraisal of those values comes into play also.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
The skeptic in me wants to say conditioned cultural ethics compass. The Mahayana Buddhist in me wants to say it is Buddha-nature somehow emergent in a being.

joe1776

Conscience is a collection of moral instincts you are born with.

When you read of a case involving a cold-blooded murder and feel moral outrage followed by a desire to see the murder punished, that's your conscience in operation.

When you read of a killing in self-defense, you won't feel moral outrage or the desire to punish the killer. From that you conclude: "not wrong"

When you intentionally harm someone, and later feel guilt, that's your conscience that will nag whenever you remember your misbehavior to help you learn how to treat people.

When you are especially kind to someone, you will feel good about it. That's your conscience using the pleasure center of your brain to reward you for being good.

From the New York Times:
"According to Yale psychologist Paul Bloom, humans are born with a hard-wired morality. A deep sense of good and evil is bred in the bone. His research shows that babies and toddlers can judge the goodness and badness of others' actions; they want to reward the good and punish the bad; they act to help those in distress; they feel guilt, shame, pride, and righteous anger."

Last edited:

joe1776

How is it that we can be born with something non-physical?
The reasoning function of your brain produced the non-physical thought that became your post.

Moral instincts come immediately from the unconscious part our brains when we encounter moral situations. Exactly how that happens, I don't know, but we don't have to think about it..

Frater Sisyphus

Contradiction, irrationality and disorder
Conscience in my understanding, would be the moral borders created early on that have a strong force deeper in your subconscious. While I'm not interested in the debate on "does morality exist?", I think that conscience (as opposed to regular morality), is more specifically to do with conditioning. Well, that's the moral side of conscience.

The other side being more connected to survival intellect, aka observant/discerning of situations both on the micro and macro levels. Knowing that something may be dangerous and making more wiser decisions based on your foreknowledge about things.
It could be about where to put your keys (so you won't forget where you put them), who to marry, what food to throw away, advising a friend etc

So to sum up, in my understanding it is the crossroad between morality and forethought :)

allfoak

Alchemist
Moral instincts come immediately from the unconscious part our brains when we encounter moral situations.
If I understand myself correctly, my first response to any situation is an emotional response, then a moral response.
The emotional response is determined by who I am relative to the circumstance.

Last edited:

joe1776

If I understand myself correctly, my first response to any situation is an emotional response, then a moral response.
The emotional response is determined by who I am relative to the circumstance.
Can you give me a specific situation as an example?

I have to log out for the evening, but I'll check on you tomorrow AM

Last edited:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Is it something separate from us?
Is it part of us?
Is it both?

Does it exist at all?
What are we describing when we use the term conscience?

One's conscience is inherent in man, unless damaged, it can serve as a moral guide for us. Don't steal, don't murder, etc. So, the conscience is an inward realization or having a sense of what is right or what is wrong.
A moral safety device, so to speak, so as Not to inflict pain or inflict bad actions on others.
So, our conscience makes judgement calls. A trained conscience acts on rules governing the mind by study and experiences in life. So, we should strive to keep an honest conscience, and Not abuse our conscience so that it allows us to do wrong. A hardened conscience can become so calloused like unfeeling flesh branded by a hot branding iron.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
The reasoning function of your brain produced the non-physical thought that became your post.
Moral instincts come immediately from the unconscious part our brains when we encounter moral situations. Exactly how that happens, I don't know, but we don't have to think about it..

I find how that happens (moral situations) is because we are born with a conscience.
That unless it is damaged can act as a moral guide for us.
Because of in-born conscience, and a trained conscience, is why even peoples everywhere have laws such as do Not murder, steal, etc. - Romans 2:14-15. However, we can choose to either listen or violate one's conscience.