• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Christianity support?

As a Christian, which do you support?

• Total voters

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I agree if by “common” you mean undiscerning and unrefined. All of Genesis is historical and there is no support to take the first chapters as ahistorical. I can refer you to further readings on this area if you like.
You're saying modern science in speaking of the age and history of the earth is "undiscerning and unrefined"? That is what you are saying because I said it's not special knowledge that understanding the story of Genesis is not the facts of history. That it presents itself as a "history" is again, simply the same thing all Creation Myths do! But they are not factual history. But that "history" aspect of it is not the point of it! It's not about history! It's about the symbols of the story. If you can't see that, then you can't see the truths of the story itself.

Again, from Conrad Hyers which underscores just that,

"It is modernistic, and it sells its symbolic birthright for a mess of tangible pottage. Biblical materials and affirmations -- in this case the symbolism of Creator and creation – are treated as though of the same order and the same literary genre as scientific and historical writing. “I believe in God the Father Almighty” becomes a chronological issue, and “Maker of heaven and earth” a technological problem.​

If by “earmarks” you can point me to falsifications in the text or outside sources, I’m interested.
Mythologies are not about validating facts or not facts. Again, I never use the term "myth" in our discussions in the colloquial sense of "false". Never. But that the stories themselves are mythological in nature, ask any good student of mythology. Are you familiar with Joseph Campbell as a start?

If philosophically, you are saying “Bible miracles cannot be true even though I wasn’t there to say they weren’t,” then I’m not as interested.
I'm saying that people interpret many things in many ways, including the biblical writers themselves. I think it is safe to say however that when it comes to things like understanding geology, biology, psychology, anthropology, cosmology, and on and on and on, we do know a hell of a lot more about the "facts" than they did! As a result, we will naturally understand these things in light of that knowledge. I certainly do.

It seems you on the other hand are trying to force-fit their understandings of 2000 years ago into our current knowledge set, trying to make what they said as some sort of magical "prophetic science", ages before we could have possibly known these things. This is accomplished by mashing the texts and playing with words. I've seen Muslims do the same thing with the Koran. Or it's accomplished by trying to tear down modern science, shaving off parts you don't like about it, such as the Theory of Evolution, to make the Bible right and science as "not there yet".

You see the bible as a book of magic. I see it as a work of humans on a spiritual path. I don't need to deny what we have knowledge of today to make my understanding fit with it. For me, it's far simpler to understand it the way I do. Far more intellectually, and spiritually honest.

I'll finish the rest of my response later.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
If you respond to this, I'll pick up my earlier points in response to you. Welcome back.

I read it the first time and responded. I said I accept the fruit passage if you also will accept with me multiple passages condemning people for bad doctrine, and not just bad, willful behavior.

What if SCOTUS interpreted the laws of the USA the way you understand Bible verses? “Some statutes that ring as true, I will accept as true”. Isn’t much of the Bible laws, commandments, precepts and statutes?

This is easy to answer. Because hell is a mythological construct, whereas love is not.

For your clarification however I should add that I accept "hell" as a metaphor of separation from the divine. I just don't accept it as a literal "place" one goes to after you die where your are tortured endlessly for your shortcomings in this life. Likewise, I do not accept "heaven" as a literal place you go either where you walk on literal streets of gold and have a great big house and all that jazz. I think the metaphor of heaven however is valid. It speaks of the divine dwelling within us. "The kingdom of God is inside you", says Jesus. Even he, when speaking of the kingdom of God said it's not here or there, but inside you.

The Greek words used denote “ages” and “forever”, not “this life only”.

But I do not. And yet you have repeatedly insinuated I get my information by hearing voices in my head. That is patently untrue. I do not suffer from a mental illness. Why do you continue to suggest I do?

I would disagree with that. If you like, YOUR inner voice only tells you “this verse is truth, this verse, not so much,” something that is more dangerous in some ways then hearing voices.

Sure, a lot of these dietary laws prescribed by "God" were the result of people recognizing the negative consequences of certain behaviors, both to the individual and the society itself. No real miracle there. That is where these laws like this come from. Some make sense, and some are pretty ridiculous or outdated. You have to take them with a certain degree of skepticism of course. This is where modern science will either validate or invalidate these things. But again, modern science is not perfect, but certainly neither is the Bible in these regards!

Modern science affirms that over 200 of the 613 Bible laws have direct health benefit. Statistically, the scriptures were written by a vastly ahead-of-its-time, ultra-informed source.

1. All truth is subjective ultimately, even that truth itself. It sounds nebulous to you, but to me I see it quite clearly. If I was to try to describe it I'd say it's "transparent", the light shines through it rather than bounces off of it. It's multi-faceted, like light refracted off little jewels of sand the light hits and splinters into many truths. There is this great quote from the mystic poet Rumi I came across a couple weeks ago I think captures this well.
Truth was a mirror in the hands of God
It fell, and broke into pieces
Everybody took a piece of it
And they looked at it and thought they had the truth.

If what I am saying sounds nebulous this is why. All I can do is point and the rest is what we open to in ourselves through that pointing. Even if you have a piece of that mirror, you are only seeing one facet of truth itself. That truth can be understood in many ways, in many pieces of that broken mirror.

Is your statement, “All truth is subjective” objectively true or subjectively true?

You're saying modern science in speaking of the age and history of the earth is "undiscerning and unrefined"?

Not what I wrote. I’m rather saying that taking the first few chapters of Genesis as ahistorical when the entire Penteteuch is historical is uninformed, unwarranted.

I'm saying that people interpret many things in many ways, including the biblical writers themselves. I think it is safe to say however that when it comes to things like understanding geology, biology, psychology, anthropology, cosmology, and on and on and on, we do know a hell of a lot more about the "facts" than they did! As a result, we will naturally understand these things in light of that knowledge. I certainly do.

Your statement is true if the assumptions are included:

1. God does not know science

2. God did not author the scriptures

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Your statement is true if the assumptions are included:

1. God does not know science

2. God did not author the scriptures
I'll just grab these two here as I don't have much time. My statement is true because:

1. God does not know science.
2. God did not author the scriptures.

I affirm the above two to be correct statements. God also does not drive a car. God also does not fly airplanes. God does not study science, nor know science. God does not do coloring books either, nor read novels, nor write music for the piano. Let me emphasize this for you: GOD IS NOT A HUMAN BEING. Therefore neither of the above apply to God.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I read it the first time and responded.
You responded affirming something that did not exist in that thread, hoping I would accept your error. I re-read the thread and don't see page after page of fundamentalists saying "we're not all like that" and me ignoring it. Instead I saw only one single post by a non-fundamentalist which said not all ministers are like that and me affirming their statement. The rest of the pages were filled with those agreeing with me. I'm not sure which posts you were reading that gave you the impression you shared with me.

I said I accept the fruit passage if you also will accept with me multiple passages condemning people for bad doctrine, and not just bad, willful behavior.
Can you share with me a passage out of the mouth of Jesus that says "by their correct doctrines you shall know them." In fact to me, that violates what Jesus taught. You can't fake spiritual fruits, but you can certainly affirm "correct doctrines" while bearing no spiritual fruit whatsoever. It's those very religious hypocrites that Jesus said in effect that their doctrines and beliefs were worthless. He found greater faith in a pagan than in his religious communities. Legalism is not the path of Love.

What if SCOTUS interpreted the laws of the USA the way you understand Bible verses?
These are entirely different things. Aside from the OT book which were societal laws, the NT is not. Most Christians understand the NT as the law of love, which is a spiritual and philosophical law. You cannot apply the two commandments that Jesus taught to be something SCOTUS can interpret as laws in that sense either!

“Some statutes that ring as true, I will accept as true”. Isn’t much of the Bible laws, commandments, precepts and statutes?
Which boils down to one law only: Love. You make an error in thinking if you obey all these laws that you are fulfilling the law.

The Greek words used denote “ages” and “forever”, not “this life only”.
Don't get me wrong, I do believe in Eternity. It's just that it is not a linear construct of time that keeps going and going on and on, day after day, year and year, age after age. Eternity is present in every moment of time as it is itself timeless. So I like to say there is no afterlife. There is only Life.

So if someone in this life is living in there conscious minds in a state of separation, or unawareness of the Eternal present in every moment and everything, they are "separated" from the Eternal, which is Ageless. Hell isn't a literal place you go to, nor is Heaven. Those are symbolic, or mythological devices to get one's mind to think in terms like that. So in that sense, I do accept we can live in that "darkness" which is a hell, or we can live in that Light which is a heaven, or freedom of fear and judgement.

I would disagree with that. If you like, YOUR inner voice only tells you “this verse is truth, this verse, not so much,” something that is more dangerous in some ways then hearing voices.
As the famous line from Game of Thrones goes, "You know nothing, Jon Snow!" :) Firstly, I have explained how I come to my understandings and none of them have to do with magic. That's your approach to truth and the Bible, via magic. There are no magic voices, no auditory hallucinations, no purely emotionally biased interpretations. I've said it before, which you seem to forget here, that I use reason, as well as personal experience to weigh the truth and meaning of these things to me. This is not reflected in your imaginary assessment of me magically figuring stuff out. Again, you are projecting here. It is you who has magic as an element of finding truth in the Bible, not me. You use magic. Not me.

Secondly, do you understand what listening to your own inner voice actually even is? I honestly doubt that, since you say it's worse than hearing auditory hallucinations! Not being able to hear, let alone know how to listen to your own inner voice is to live your life out of touch with your own heart! That is far worse than a mental illness. It's a spiritual illness. And that is the very thing I argue that fundamentalism as a religious system of belief is pathological, in that it teaches you to distrust your own heart, poisoning verses with it's paranoid and fearful distrust of themselves.

Jesus is about healing, not furthering this spiritual dissociation which fundamentalism promotes for its fearful followers seeking Answers with a capital A outside themselves, instead of teaching them to hear Truth within their hearts, which can and should most often challenge what we think is true using reason alone. This is the great error and detriment of fundamentalism. When Jesus says you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free, I believe fully, in my heart, in my mind, in my soul, and in my spirit that that knowing is an inner Knowledge of the divine, not a head knowledge.

Modern science affirms that over 200 of the 613 Bible laws have direct health benefit. Statistically, the scriptures were written by a vastly ahead-of-its-time, ultra-informed source.
If you are asking how I see it is you introducing magic into these things, here is an example of that. Do you know, that a lot of practices and prohibitions people and societies have come up with throughout human history and culture do not owe their sources to "magical knowledge" because science affirms they figured stuff out through trial and error, the same as any of us do?

"Don't have sex with your sister", is something humans figured out quite some time ago on their own without God having to tell us dumb animals who can't figure out how to put food into our mouths on our own without a god dictating it to us. God endows all of us with the ability to figure stuff out so we increase our odds of survival. These "truths" came to us naturally, not magically. Why is it necessary for you to add magic to understanding these things? I don't see any need to.

Is your statement, “All truth is subjective” objectively true or subjectively true?
Both. :) Shared subjective truths become objective truth in that they exist outside the individual alone. But it is still a mediated understanding of reality in a shared subjective space, and not "objective" in the Absolutist sense.

Our humanity is incapable of not pushing information in through the small little holes in our bodies that lets information in. All of that information passess through these filters, so we collectively as a species are "translators" of reality. And that translation ends up existing inside human frameworks of thought and understanding represented symbolically in languages. None of that is capable of being understood as Absolute. And that is an objective statement, so far as we can take that being finite beings.

So how to you justify we can bypass the limitations of our minds that you can claim absolute truth? Can you objectively validate that by showing how we can bypass the things I pointed out? Again, as I've said before, even if God did magically dicate absolutely flawless words that ended up magically in a book in your language and culture, magically bypassing the human variables, how is it that YOU can understanding them in a truly objective manner considering how the mind itself works? Does it bypass the brain where you suddenly have spontaneous, unmediated Knowledge of what the words on that page mean? Please explain the mechanisms of how this happens?

Not what I wrote. I’m rather saying that taking the first few chapters of Genesis as ahistorical when the entire Penteteuch is historical is uninformed, unwarranted.
I think this will be about the fourth time I've repeated this. Even if it is presented as historical, it is a common thing in Origin Myths. The point is not about the history being factual. The history can be utterly wrong factually, and yet the story contain great truths. I do not believe any of the story of creation and the fall of man happened literally, historical as presented. Factually, it did not occur that way, even if the writers themselves believed it did. But the truths in the story are not dependent on the facts of the history of it.

Why must it be that way for you? Do you think it needs to be understood as fact in order for it to speak truths? Can you see how truth transcends facts, or are they fused together for you where you cannot see truth despite factual errors?

If you wish to object again with this, please address the points I'm saying. Again, it doesn't matter whether or not they understood these things as literally true or not. That wasn't the point of the story, to lay out science and history for us modern readers! To me, the writers of the bible probably did, just de facto accept the stories were factual, because that is in fact the way myth works. But I am very clear in my thinking that that was not the focal points in their minds. The truths which transcended the story line were. As I said before, you can change the story line, yet tell the exact same story. Can you understand how that works? Can you please address this point for me?

Last edited:

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I affirm the above two to be correct statements. God also does not drive a car. God also does not fly airplanes. God does not study science, nor know science. God does not do coloring books either, nor read novels, nor write music for the piano. Let me emphasize this for you: GOD IS NOT A HUMAN BEING. Therefore neither of the above apply to God.

God is above humans, transcendent, true, yet the scriptures affirm that Jesus was God in flesh and that to deny this fact is anathema. Jesus will always be divine and will always be in a man’s (glorified) body, forever.

The gospel includes God in humanity dying and rising for us. The scriptures say you have a different gospel, a non-salvific gospel.

These are entirely different things. Aside from the OT book which were societal laws, the NT is not. Most Christians understand the NT as the law of love, which is a spiritual and philosophical law. You cannot apply the two commandments that Jesus taught to be something SCOTUS can interpret as laws in that sense either!

Let me rephrase: What if SCOTUS interpreted the laws the way you interpret the words of Jesus? And before you say, “laws aren’t spiritual,” I’ll remind you of Paul’s statement, “Now we know that the Law is spiritual . . .” as in Romans.

Which boils down to one law only: Love. You make an error in thinking if you obey all these laws that you are fulfilling the law.

Love for men prompts sharing the saving gospel.

Hell isn't a literal place you go to, nor is Heaven.

Please explain where in the words of Jesus or elsewhere in the Bible I can see where this is so.

Secondly, do you understand what listening to your own inner voice actually even is? I honestly doubt that, since you say it's worse than hearing auditory hallucinations! Not being able to hear, let alone know how to listen to your own inner voice is to live your life out of touch with your own heart! That is far worse than a mental illness. It's a spiritual illness.

You are misunderstanding my comment, which was:

“I would disagree with that. If you like, YOUR inner voice only tells you “this verse is truth, this verse, not so much,” something that is more dangerous in some ways then hearing voices.”

I don’t have a problem with listening to my inner voice or you listening to your inner voice and I agree with the rest of what you wrote in this matter. Here’s what I have a problem with: Allowing one’s inner voice to reason, “this verse is true, but this one isn’t” without any textual or critical evidence in force!

I think this will be about the fourth time I've repeated this. Even if it is presented as historical, it is a common thing in Origin Myths. The point is not about the history being factual. The history can be utterly wrong factually, and yet the story contain great truths. I do not believe any of the story of creation and the fall of man happened literally, historical as presented. Factually, it did not occur that way, even if the writers themselves believed it did. But the truths in the story are not dependent on the facts of the history of it.

I’m open. Please present your evidence that:

1. The writers of the Bible stated that their testimonies were not factual.

2. The writers of the Bible didn’t believe in literal afterlife.

3. The writers of the Bible didn’t believe they were ammaneunses of God.
Thank you.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
God is above humans, transcendent, true, yet the scriptures affirm that Jesus was God in flesh and that to deny this fact is anathema. Jesus will always be divine and will always be in a man’s (glorified) body, forever.
And this has nothing to do with me saying God is not a human being in the context you presented Him. I'm not denying Jesus was God in flesh. I'm saying the attributes you ascribe to the Infinite Eternal God are pure anthropomorphisms. God, which is Spirit, does not write scriptures, understand human sciences, drive cars, or doodle in coloring books.

Now saying Jesus of Nazareth as God in human flesh, does not mean that Jesus knew science either! He was a man of the 1st Century. Why would he? How could he? We hadn't come up with it yet. And as far as God as Jesus writing scriptures, he didn't do that either! There are no writings of Jesus anyone alive is aware of.

So both of your claims don't hold water when it comes to saying Jesus as God incarnate was a human being. He was, but he was not a modern human, and would therefore be unaware of modern science. He would not understand things like tectonic plates and the age of the earth, or the cosmos at large. We didn't know these things ourselves until the last few hundred years!

Let me rephrase: What if SCOTUS interpreted the laws the way you interpret the words of Jesus? And before you say, “laws aren’t spiritual,” I’ll remind you of Paul’s statement, “Now we know that the Law is spiritual . . .” as in Romans.
Judges interpret the sense of what is said, and apply it to modern situations where things are not explicitly stated, and even when they are they still have to apply the meanings. In other words, they interpret and translate meaning. Kind of what I'm doing, actually. We do not live in the Colonial past, nor in 1st Century Israel.

Love for men prompts sharing the saving gospel.
Love is the Gospel.

Please explain where in the words of Jesus or elsewhere in the Bible I can see where this is so.
"The Kingdom of God is inside you."

But beyond that, there are those who read those hell passages you do and do not interpret them the way you do. For me, I'm fine even if in their mythology they did believe such a "literal" place. The message in the myth is what transcends the symbol itself. As I've said countless times at this point, even if that's they believed, it does not mean I cannot get the same meaning without needed to think within those particular constructs, such as Adam and Eve being literal people. Hell is about the existential pain of being separated from God. Same things with the myth of the Fall in the Garden of Eden.

In other words, they didn't have to say it in the terms I am, nor do I have to say in the terms they did. That is not a requirement, nor ultimately helpful to modern man in finding Truth in God. In fact, it can create a great stumbling block to insist they do. When you insist on the symbol, you place the symbol above Truth itself.

I don’t have a problem with listening to my inner voice or you listening to your inner voice and I agree with the rest of what you wrote in this matter. Here’s what I have a problem with: Allowing one’s inner voice to reason, “this verse is true, but this one isn’t” without any textual or critical evidence in force!
And I clarified that long ago, and twice again recently that this is not what I am doing. I am very clearly holding in mind several factors looking at the context in modern understandings, both modern, postmodern, and post-postmodern understandings. When my own heart says something doesn't fit for me, I look to things like that to help my mind understand and process them, as well as what my very direct personal experiences expose. All told together, altogether, then go into helping me form an understanding that makes sense.

In other words, that making sense means it uses rationality, as well as personal experience. I'm not known for saying I believe I thing to be true "just because". I fact, if that's how I justify things, I would not be here having a discussion at all! I can write chapters justifying rationally why and how I form my thoughts about these things. I'm drawing off myth-studies, anthropology, psychology, cognitive sciences, neuroscience, comparative religious studies, modern textual criticism, and on and on the long list of rational insights go.

I’m open. Please present your evidence that:

1. The writers of the Bible stated that their testimonies were not factual

2. The writers of the Bible didn’t believe in literal afterlife.

3. The writers of the Bible didn’t believe they were ammaneunses of God.
Thank you.
I've addressed all this a half dozen time already, yet you didn't address my points. You still aren't. Would you like me to go back and highlight them, such as me specifically asking you in the last post,

If you wish to object again with this, please address the points I'm saying. Again, it doesn't matter whether or not they understood these things as literally true or not. That wasn't the point of the story, to lay out science and history for us modern readers! To me, the writers of the bible probably did, just de facto accept the stories were factual, because that is in fact the way myth works. But I am very clear in my thinking that that was not the focal points in their minds. The truths which transcended the story line were. As I said before, you can change the story line, yet tell the exact same story. Can you understand how that works? Can you please address this point for me?

Thank you.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I'm saying the attributes you ascribe to the Infinite Eternal God are pure anthropomorphisms. God, which is Spirit, does not write scriptures, understand human sciences, drive cars, or doodle in coloring books.

1. God would do mundane things if Jesus was God in flesh.

2. The scriptures teach that God certainly creates scriptures. It says over 6,000 times in the OT alone “This is the Word of the Lord!” What are you referring to here?
So both of your claims don't hold water when it comes to saying Jesus as God incarnate was a human being. He was, but he was not a modern human, and would therefore be unaware of modern science. He would not understand things like tectonic plates and the age of the earth, or the cosmos at large. We didn't know these things ourselves until the last few hundred years!

Jesus was a person 100%. He also possessed the mind of God and did not discard many of God’s attributes. Saying Jesus was less than omniscient isn’t supported by the scriptures.

Judges interpret the sense of what is said, and apply it to modern situations where things are not explicitly stated, and even when they are they still have to apply the meanings. In other words, they interpret and translate meaning. Kind of what I'm doing, actually. We do not live in the Colonial past, nor in 1st Century Israel.

But judges now do take literally what was literally said, whether last week or in Colonial times. You keep excerpting from your belief statement many things that the scriptures literally say.

Love is the Gospel.

No, love is love.

Here is an example of the gospel:

Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the GOSPEL I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. 2 By THIS GOSPEL YOU ARE SAVED, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.

3 For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance[a]: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that he appeared to Cephas, and then to the Twelve.

The message in the myth is what transcends the symbol itself.

How do you know this to be true?

1. The message is a myth

2. The message is what you interpret it to be

3. It is a symbol, not literal

4. The message transcends the symbol
I'm drawing off myth-studies, anthropology, psychology, cognitive sciences, neuroscience, comparative religious studies, modern textual criticism, and on and on the long list of rational insights go.

I’m likewise drawing off the above and more. A critical difference: the scriptures are literal and true.

If you wish to object again with this, please address the points I'm saying. Again, it doesn't matter whether or not they understood these things as literally true or not. That wasn't the point of the story, to lay out science and history for us modern readers!

I’m addressing this point, yes.

1. How do you know it doesn’t matter whether they understood these things as true or not? What would be the point, for example, of martyrdom for preaching things one wasn’t sure of as truth?

2. How do you know “the point of the story” (or a point of the story) wasn’t to demonstrate the scriptures as scientifically accurate?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
God would do mundane things if Jesus was God in flesh
Sure, but nothing that was outside the time he lived in, such as knowing modern science! God as eternal Spirit would not know science. Only a human being would. Having the "Mind of God" has nothing whatsoever to do with God being the Encyclopedia Eternica, where he would know next weeks lottery ticket numbers, or the atomic structure of carbon. Those are human knowledge things. God does not have a brain and think in terms like this. That is what I mean by you antrophorphizing Spirit to be a great big, super-smart human being. Kind of like Superman, even bigger.

The scriptures teach that God certainly creates scriptures. It says over 6,000 times in the OT alone “This is the Word of the Lord!” What are you referring to here?
The scriptures anthropomorphize God. This is what mythic systems do. I don't relate to God that way, nor accept it to be the sole way of thinking about, talking about, or communicating God. I don't believe they was a real boat that saved all the world species either. Yet, I certainly believe God exists. I just don't related to the whole "I'm a jealous God and going to smite you for having other ideas about me," thing. Again, it doesn't mater if it says that. I believe that is a way to talk about God in mythic systems. One can talk about God in other ways.

The only way this would be literally true that God dictates ideas, is if God was a human being, having a brain, a thinking in linguistic symbolism. There's no way God is really that! :) But was can use the language of "God spoke to me" just fine, knowing it's a metaphor rather than strictly literal.

Jesus was a person 100%. He also possessed the mind of God and did not discard many of God’s attributes. Saying Jesus was less than omniscient isn’t supported by the scriptures.
I think people's ideas of omniscience is again, highly anthropomorphic! Scripture says we should have the mind of Christ. Does this mean I can go buy the right lottery ticket numbers this week because Christ knows them??? No, the Mind of Christ, the Mind of God, is to see from that perspective of Eternal Being and Knowledge of Absolute Love. It has nothing whatsoever to do with facts and figures! That's a magical understanding. God doesn't care about what you believe in or what getting the "facts right". That's purely a human projection of your ideas on the Eternal, making God in your own image.

But judges now do take literally what was literally said, whether last week or in Colonial times. You keep excerpting from your belief statement many things that the scriptures literally say.
The look at the context of the day and try to apply the spirit of the meaning to the context of today. That is exactly what I am doing.

No, love is love.
God is Love. Love is Eternal. I'm not talking the human emotion love here. The Gospel, the good news, is God's Love.

How do you know this to be true?

1. The message is a myth

2. The message is what you interpret it to be

3. It is a symbol, not literal

4. The message transcends the symbol
1. Have you forgotten I've explained many times that I do NOT use myth to mean a falsehood? If you don't understand what I mean when I use the word myth, let's stop and spend some time on that. Myth is a type of story, a type of symbolism. I NEVER mean to say something is a lie! How I know the message is being presented in mythic symbolism is very simple. Look at the imagery it's using, for one thing. Compare it to other mythologies of other cultures. It is categorical mythology. That doesn't make it a lie. I do not thing you understand the difference here. Just remember, next time you think I mean it as a lie, you're wrong. Period.

2. Here's where it gets really interesting! I do not believe the message can be understood in one way only. That is what you do. What the power of mythology is is that it can be understood in very many ways! It's what truth it inspires in you, to frame and interpret it to fit your own experiences. Truth, with a captial T, unfolds in many ways. What the power of myth is in its rich symbolism, is what it can and does inspire in us in an evolving truth! The meaning can take many forms. You however, are falling prey to modernity, confusing facts and truths and meanings. There's only ONE meaning to you, and you better get it right or you'll be left out of the Ark when the Lord calls you home! That's very, very much not how I think.

3. You do not understand what a symbol is? I thought you understood semiotics?

4. That's easy. A finger pointing at the moon is not the moon itself. All language is ultimately metaphor.

I’m likewise drawing off the above and more. A critical difference: the scriptures are literal and true.
But the difference is you don't accept it and I do. You shared how in college you took to task the professors who were teaching these things? I on the other hand find truth and value in them. Same as modern science where I don't deny it.

I’m addressing this point, yes.

1. How do you know it doesn’t matter whether they understood these things as true or not? What would be the point, for example, of martyrdom for preaching things one wasn’t sure of as truth?

2. How do you know “the point of the story” (or a point of the story) wasn’t to demonstrate the scriptures as scientifically accurate?
You actually are not addressing it. I want you to tell me how you think meaning is one and one thing only, and that the meanings cannot be understood with another story, but only the one and only story you believe in and have heard. Explain that to me, which it appears you in fact do believe to be the fact of it. But to your questions:

1. How I know it doesn't matter is because the same meaning can in fact be found and understood in other mythologies as well. What would be the point of martyrdom if the stories weren't factual? People die for their beliefs all the time, often for completely contradictory beliefs. Martyrdom doesn't make it factual, it simply means they strongly believed in it.

2. It doesn't present it in that fashion. It doesn't read like a book of science knowledge. Furthermore, you should be glad it doesn't! It would have been tossed into the pile of other bad science book right along with those that taught grain in jars is where mice are born from! :)

Again, please respond to my question about whether YOU believe or do not believe that the message in a story can be told in another story of another culture and say the exact same thing? That's for you to talk about, not turn it around on me.

Last edited:

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Sure, but nothing that was outside the time he lived in, such as knowing modern science! God as eternal Spirit would not know science. Only a human being would. Having the "Mind of God" has nothing whatsoever to do with God being the Encyclopedia Eternica, where he would know next weeks lottery ticket numbers, or the atomic structure of carbon. Those are human knowledge things. God does not have a brain and think in terms like this. That is what I mean by you antrophorphizing Spirit to be a great big, super-smart human being. Kind of like Superman, even bigger.

There are thousands of prophecies (future predictions) in the scriptures, given by One Spirit. David wrote centuries before Christ of having his wrists pierced and people gambling for his clothing while being surrounded by Gentiles, among other prophecies in Psalm 22.

The scriptures say God is all in all and has a number/naming system/nomenclature for the 100,000 hairs on my head. God is logos and Spirit and a database of every atom. He is all in all and fills all things in all. You have philosophy about God that I cannot find in the scripture. Please refute God’s omniscience using scripture or other evidence, not philosophy and guessing.

The scriptures anthropomorphize God. This is what mythic systems do.

Jesus, having risen from the grave, is certainly able to help us understand God 1) authoritatively 2) in anthropomorphic terms (therefore, God is a Father, like a nurturing mother, and also like a shield, sword, friend, protector, affianced, etc.!)

God is Love. Love is Eternal. I'm not talking the human emotion love here. The Gospel, the good news, is God's Love.

You deleted the verses I shared that show the gospel is Christ’s atoning death and resurrection. The gospel is the good news by which all persons may be saved. All persons have love for someone or some thing, but love doesn’t save. Jesus saves.

Here's where it gets really interesting! I do not believe the message can be understood in one way only. That is what you do.

Repeating, I do not believe there is only one meaning, application or interpretation of any given scripture. Scripture is vast and its depths wholly unplumbed by the most ardent scholars! What I don’t do that you do is assume the plain face value of the text is non-literal. JESUS DIED ON A TREE TO BE CURSED TO SAVE ME.

You do not understand what a symbol is? I thought you understood semiotics?

I do understand. Jesus is not ONLY a symbol. He is God, King and Savior. You have a “different Jesus” and a different gospel.

You actually are not addressing it. I want you to tell me how you think meaning is one and one thing only, and that the meanings cannot be understood with another story, but only the one and only story you believe in and have heard. Explain that to me, which it appears you in fact do believe to be the fact of it.

Why would I address a moot question. I’ve neither said nor believed any verse or passage has only one meaning or application. It’s a living and active logos of God! But you are willing to take most any meaning for any verse at any time as long as it isn’t literal. You have no historical, textual or (arguably from my point of view) scientific reason to reject any of it. You are simply being willful to force your square doctrine onto round scriptures.

Martyrdom doesn't make it factual, it simply means they strongly believed in it.

You don’t read what I write. I asked why the apostles would be martyred for something they didn’t strongly believe in! If they didn’t think it was literal and true, what was their point? (That’s a rhetorical question, please don’t answer it.)

Again, please respond to my question about whether YOU believe or do not believe that the message in a story can be told in another story of another culture and say the exact same thing? That's for you to talk about, not turn it around on me.

Of course I believe that. God allows resurrection myths and other things that are true of Jesus to filter down to numerous cultures and myths. Of course! Please do not ask me any more facile questions. J

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There are thousands of prophecies (future predictions) in the scriptures, given by One Spirit. David wrote centuries before Christ of having his wrists pierced and people gambling for his clothing while being surrounded by Gentiles, among other prophecies in Psalm 22.
I've already expressed how that citing "fulfilled prophecy" is viewed by me as a trick of reading things backwards into what are generally obscure texts made "obvious" by supplying the meaning of them. People do this with all manner of so-called prophecies, such as the "predictions" of Nostradamus who supposedly foresaw Hitler and the like. This line of "proof" will never succeed in persuading me to believe in the magic, when I understand how the illusion is being performed. My rational mind knows it was up his sleeve the whole time, in other words.

The scriptures say God is all in all and has a number/naming system/nomenclature for the 100,000 hairs on my head.
And you don't find that entire passage in Luke to be a metaphor? Even as a child I understood it to be about telling us that God loves us. It's not a definition of God's numbering systems!! :) I find no problem at all in talking about the Unconditional and Infinite Love of God saying not a sparrow falls without him knowing, or that the hairs on your head are counted by God. I think it's a beautiful expression. It's a way for us to imagine the love of God, not to tell us God is a mathematician! It's meant to move our imaginations, which leads us to realize the actual reality of God, which is not that he can count numbers, but that God is Love.

Please note this: Anthropomorphic expressions are fine. Turning them into "facts" is not. You miss the meaning when you do that. You gut them of their symbolic meanings.

God is logos and Spirit and a database of every atom.
Nonsense, regarding God being a "database". God is Spirit. God is Love. God is Light. Those I accept as valid. Those are more appropriate ways to understand the divine which is before and beyond all systems, such as databases. You seem to have an very peculiar interpretation of Luke's meaning there. God is not a giant Oracle or SQL server in the sky, in how I envision and relate to the Eternal. :)

He is all in all and fills all things in all. You have philosophy about God that I cannot find in the scripture.
Oh sorry, I should have provided the verse references:

God is Love ~1 Jn 4:8
God is Light ~1 Jn. 1:5
God is Spirit ~Jn.4:24​

Please refute God’s omniscience using scripture or other evidence, not philosophy and guessing.
You mean refute your interpretation and meaning of Luke 12:4-7? I just did that in this post. I do not take the meaning of that to be telling us God is an infinite database server. This is one case it's pretty clear, at least to me, the authors were in fact being figurative. It wasn't about telling us that God actually counts the hairs on my head! :) I take this very much as an "AS IF" statement. Though I believe and argue that ultimately all language is metaphor, in this case the passage itself should very much be read metaphorically, even to the casual reader. It's telling you interpret it in your philosophy and guess that it should be read as an actual definition of God.

Let me expand on this for a moment since I find the passage quite beautiful. To me, this passage is about telling us that life, and our lives in particular, is so much more than we imagine and of deep and eternal significance. It's about provoking us to realize the degree and importance of the Awareness of God as ever-present in our lives. It's to provoke us to not live our lives in fear, to expend our energies trying to protect and preserve our smaller self-identities, and to realize the Love of God for all living things, including ourselves. It's to tell us that God is Aware, not that he counts!

Now, what that Awareness is, and I do capitalize that here, is not some Eternal Database, nor the laws of physics for that matter either (which is where most of this nonsense about trying to define God as the "Big Rules" comes from in the first place). That intimate Knowledge of us, which the metaphor about counting the hairs on your head is about, is what I understand omniscience to truly be. It's not the Santa Claus version of omniscience I take to heart, but the fact that at all times we are never separate from the Infinite, Personal God. God is Awareness itself. God does not have knowledge, God is Knowledge itself. God does not have truth, God is Truth itself. God does not have love, God is Love itself.

"Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?" In fact that entire Psalm 139 is about the same thing Jesus says in Luke 12. It's a beautiful and powerful metaphor to speak about our relationship with the Divine. We should understand God is closer to us than our very breath. God is the air that fills our lungs and sustains our life. God is our Life. God is Life.

Now, what you saw me just do is to take the words from the pages of scripture and apply them to a spiritual awareness. What you do which is different than that is take the words and use them to make a technical argument that God is a literal counting machine. Once again, to quote from Conrad Hyers essay,

One of the ironies of biblical literalism is that it shares so largely in the reductionist and literalist spirit of the age. It is not nearly as conservative as it supposes. It is modernistic, and it sells its symbolic birthright for a mess of tangible pottage. Biblical materials and affirmations -- in this case the symbolism of Creator and creation – are treated as though of the same order and the same literary genre as scientific and historical writing. “I believe in God the Father Almighty” becomes a chronological issue, and “Maker of heaven and earth” a technological problem.

His essay is titled Constricting the Cosmic Dance. That is a brilliant way to describe what literalism does. It takes metaphor and reduces it technicalities. It guts the dance of meaning. It kills the metaphor into just some scientific argument about facts and figures, or database servers.

You deleted the verses I shared that show the gospel is Christ’s atoning death and resurrection. The gospel is the good news by which all persons may be saved. All persons have love for someone or some thing, but love doesn’t save. Jesus saves.
God is Love ~1 Jn 4:8

Isn't the Gospel message about Love? I don't find a lot of truth or value to the whole literal formulaic approach to God. It misses the point. The point of the story is provoke Faith in us, and the Faith is how we access God and become healed. That same truth can be inspired in many ways, in many stories, in many cultures, in many religions.

I'm working on the rest of my response I will do shortly....

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Repeating, I do not believe there is only one meaning, application or interpretation of any given scripture. Scripture is vast and its depths wholly unplumbed by the most ardent scholars! What I don’t do that you do is assume the plain face value of the text is non-literal. JESUS DIED ON A TREE TO BE CURSED TO SAVE ME.
Will you please stop it. I have about two or three dozen times said that even if the authors understood and wrote the texts non-figuratively, it is still symbolic in meaning. I do not need to think in the terms they did to understand the meaning they got from it! I know I can't state it more clearly or exactly than that, but you need to make some effort to understand what I mean. You cannot just keep stating I'm saying something like trying to say they weren't speaking literally. In some cases yes, of course. But that doesn't matter. It doesn't change the fact that it's still all symbolic!

Mythic-literal belief is in fact symbolic. The difference is that to the mythic-literal thinking the meaning is fused with the symbol, so the symbol must be a fact to them. I'm going to quote from James Fowler's Stages of Faith work to illustrate this fact.

In keeping with Stage 4's critical reflection upon its system of meaning, its relation to and use of symbols differs qualitatively from that of Stage 3. Symbols and rituals, previously taken as mediating the sacred in direct ways and therefore as sacred themselves, are interrogated by Stage 4's critical questioning. In its critical reflection Stage 4 regards meanings as separable from from the symbolic media that expresses them. In face of a liturgical ritual or a religious symbol the Individuative-Reflective person asks, "But what does it mean?" If the symbol or symbolic act is truly meaningful, Stage 4 believes, its meanings can be translated into propositions, definitions and/or conceptual foundations.

This demythologizing strategy, which seems natural to Stage 4, brings both gains and losses. Paul Tillich, writing about religious symbols and their powers, says that when a symbol is recognized to be a symbol by those who relate to the transcendent through it, it becomes a "broken symbol". A certain naive reliance upon and trust in the sacred power, efficacy and inherent truth of the symbol as representation is interrupted. Instead of the symbol or symbolic act having the initiative and exerting its power on the participant, now the participant-questioner has the initiation over against the symbol. For those who have previously enjoyed an unquestioning relation to the transcendent and to their fellow worshipers through a set of religious symbols, Stage 4's translations of their meanings into conceptual prose can bring a sense of loss, dislocation, grief and even guilt.

But there are gains as well. Meanings previously tacitly held become explicit. Dimensions of depth in symbolic or ritual expression previously felt and responded to without reflection can now be identified and clarified. The "mystification" of symbols, the tendency to experience them as organically linked with the realities they represent, is broken open. Their meanings, now detachable from the symbolic media, can be communicated in concepts or propositions that may have little direct resonance with the symbolic form or actions. Comparisons of meanings become more easily possible, though a certain tendency to reductionism and the "flattening" of meanings is difficult to avoid.

pgs 180,181​

What we see here in our entire discussion is illuminated quite clearly in the above passage describing how Stage 3 (as well as 2) approaches symbolic meaning as opposed to Stage 4. What you see me doing is very much what a Stage 4 person does (which is carried forward into Stage 5 but developed in Stage 4). I hear in your argument an insistence upon the literal meaning of the symbol, which reflects Stage 3 faith. You appear to me to be demonstrating what Fowler speaks of when he says, "Symbols and rituals, previously taken as mediating the sacred in direct ways and therefore as sacred themselves."

What I believe best describes the differences between you and I demonstrated in this discussion is captured when he states, "Instead of the symbol or symbolic act having the initiative and exerting its power on the participant, now the participant-questioner has the initiation over against the symbol." You land on the "the symbol or symbolic act having the initiative and exerting its power on the participant" side. I land on "the participant-questioner has the initiation over against the symbol," side.

What I find fascinating is how this dynamic is played out in our conversation. How that I see you unable to "de-couple" meaning from the symbol, as I describe what Fowler and others describe as happening at Stage 4. And how you hear what I am saying which does do that as a "heresy", somehow diluting or perverting the "plain meaning" which is how you see these things. It actually is not perverting, distorting, or threatening the symbols. In reality the action of a Stage 4 approach to faith has the growth value to explore, "Dimensions of depth in symbolic or ritual expression previously felt and responded to without reflection can now be identified and clarified."

In my experience doing this I describe it as liberating God from the strict and literal translation of the symbol. It allow me, and others at Stage 4 and above, to find a greater depth of truth and meaning beyond the "simple plain language". It takes God out of a box for us and allows us to find God in ways that were previously confined and restricted. Verses like "Where the Spirit of the Lord is there is liberty", ring quite true to us.

I'm going to pick this up a little later touching on this post, as it is a strong point of reference for both of us to continue to come back to an examine in understanding our respective approaches to things. I'll finish my response later on.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I do understand. Jesus is not ONLY a symbol. He is God, King and Savior. You have a “different Jesus” and a different gospel.
I have a "different Jesus" than you do, yes. Do you have the "right Jesus", the only true one, the only true understanding? That is the point of this conversation.

Now as far as him being "God, King, and Savior", those are symbols man. ;)

Why would I address a moot question. I’ve neither said nor believed any verse or passage has only one meaning or application. It’s a living and active logos of God! But you are willing to take most any meaning for any verse at any time as long as it isn’t literal. You have no historical, textual or (arguably from my point of view) scientific reason to reject any of it. You are simply being willful to force your square doctrine onto round scriptures.
This is how you perceive what I'm doing. It's not what I'm doing of course. And it is not a moot question at all, but the very crux of the matter. I'll continue to bring you back to this.

You don’t read what I write. I asked why the apostles would be martyred for something they didn’t strongly believe in! If they didn’t think it was literal and true, what was their point? (That’s a rhetorical question, please don’t answer it.)
I did read what you wrote and responded appropriately to it. I'll state a different way to see if you can understand what I meant better. I never said, nor would argue they did not believe what they did and would "die for a lie". That's ridiculous. Who would do that? But people die all the time for strongly held beliefs. It doesn't mean that what they believe is necessarily supported by the fact, or the ONLY way to think about, believe in, or understand the thing. They could have been factually wrong, but their belief they were right was sincere. Anyone who dies for what they believe in I'd consider sincere. That doesn't mean how they believed is factual.

Clearer now?

Of course I believe that. God allows resurrection myths and other things that are true of Jesus to filter down to numerous cultures and myths. Of course! Please do not ask me any more facile questions. J
Well, that's an interesting interpretation of the facts of these things. Not what I expected. Fascinating. So you believe the resurrection myths that predate Jesus were a sort of prophetic "foreshadowing" of Jesus, but were not the "real mccoy" as they say?

This argument kind of reminds of something a Pentecostal Christian I was speaking with said when I mentioned how other religions speak in tongues too. He said they were "counterfeit" gifts of the spirit. I then asked him how you can have a counterfeit of something before the "real" thing exists? You can't have a counterfeit year 2416 dollar bill in the year 2016. Yet, you have tongues talking mentioned at least 400 years before the day of Pentecost. That's not a counterfeit at that point. Then his argument fell into a disintegrated heap as he tried to say the devil foresaw the real thing, and tried to fake people out ahead of time, and all other manner of mental gymnastics to defend that argument of his.

So how do you deal with the stories the preceded Christ that touch on the exact same themes? And secondly, what is it that you think the story of Jesus is not about the same things they are? Why not treat the Christian myth as saying the same existential truths as the myths of other cultures? What make yours a fact and theirs a simple facsimile? Explain that to me. Doesn't that sound a tad biased?

And BTW, this is not a facile point. It's critical and I'll continue to come back to this to explore it with you.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I've already expressed how that citing "fulfilled prophecy" is viewed by me as a trick of reading things backwards into what are generally obscure texts made "obvious" by supplying the meaning of them. People do this with all manner of so-called prophecies, such as the "predictions" of Nostradamus who supposedly foresaw Hitler and the like. This line of "proof" will never succeed in persuading me to believe in the magic, when I understand how the illusion is being performed. My rational mind knows it was up his sleeve the whole time, in other words.

The Nostradamus prophecies are vague. The Jesus prophecies are not only specific; many of them are in the Septuagint, which scholars date to 2-3 centuries before the birth of Christ.

And you don't find that entire passage in Luke to be a metaphor? Even as a child I understood it to be about telling us that God loves us. It's not a definition of God's numbering systems!!
clip_image001.png
I find no problem at all in talking about the Unconditional and Infinite Love of God saying not a sparrow falls without him knowing, or that the hairs on your head are counted by God. I think it's a beautiful expression. It's a way for us to imagine the love of God, not to tell us God is a mathematician! It's meant to move our imaginations, which leads us to realize the actual reality of God, which is not that he can count numbers, but that God is Love.

Please note this: Anthropomorphic expressions are fine. Turning them into "facts" is not. You miss the meaning when you do that. You gut them of their symbolic meanings.

1. You are confusing “He loves us so much he names each hair on your head” with “He names each hair on your head”.

2. One reason your constant anti-literal interpolations are frustrating—the Bible is absolutely replete (both testaments) with ultra-specific place and people names, geneaologies, times, dates and more. The ark of the covenant and Noah’s ark, the tabernacle and temple, all are delineated by materials, size, preparation style, etc.

3. I’ve asked you a dozen times or more for your evidence as to how and where the Bible speaks literally and in plain language, I should bend the obvious meaning to interpolate non-specific “spiritual” symbolism. I still await the favor of your reply. Either prove what you believe or let’s please talk about something else?

Nonsense, regarding God being a "database". God is Spirit. God is Love. God is Light. Those I accept as valid. Those are more appropriate ways to understand the divine which is before and beyond all systems, such as databases. You seem to have an very peculiar interpretation of Luke's meaning there. God is not a giant Oracle or SQL server in the sky, in how I envision and relate to the Eternal.

But the three choices you accept, Spirit, Love and Light, are all scriptural. It’s also eminently scriptural that God holds all knowledge and wisdom, too!

I use the term database by way of analogy. We are currently mapping the human genome, but it is vast. The maker of it knows all of it—in the Bible. You have a different sort of detached-from-the-universe deity in mind.

snip--It's to tell us that God is Aware, not that he counts!

You are ignoring all the places in the Bible where it says God indeed counts, measures, weighs, discerns, decides, knows, judges, etc. Again, you cherry pick not only verses but verse interpretations. I’m still trying to understand why you do so. I got from you that fundamentalism is “wrong” but you never told me how you came to understand it being wrong (or in what way(s) it’s wrong) other than you were offended once by someone claiming to be a fundamentalist “minister”.

Isn't the Gospel message about Love? I don't find a lot of truth or value to the whole literal formulaic approach to God. It misses the point. The point of the story is provoke Faith in us, and the Faith is how we access God and become healed. That same truth can be inspired in many ways, in many stories, in many cultures, in many religions.

I think you are misunderstanding the correct use of formula. Let me give you an example:

Islam = Jesus isn’t God or Savior

Christianity = Jesus is God and Savior

Islam, therefore, is not the same as Christianity or vice versa

What you wrote sounds lovely and spiritual but is uninformed (and untrue).

Will you please stop it. I have about two or three dozen times said that even if the authors understood and wrote the texts non-figuratively, it is still symbolic in meaning. I do not need to think in the terms they did to understand the meaning they got from it! I know I can't state it more clearly or exactly than that, but you need to make some effort to understand what I mean. You cannot just keep stating I'm saying something like trying to say they weren't speaking literally. In some cases yes, of course. But that doesn't matter. It doesn't change the fact that it's still all symbolic!

I understand you. However, you have begged several questions:

1. On what basis do you know for certain the events of the Bible are “all symbolic”? Because I know that Tillich and Fowler weren’t there contemporaneous to the Bible times. You seem to act like they were and they know.

2. On what basis are you claiming that people who died for proclaiming Jesus and Savior and God were mistaken? On what basis do you claim THEIR aim was to promote the symbology of God rather than the saving gospel of God?

3. If Hell and Heaven are literal destinations, what should loving people say to other people?

I did read what you wrote and responded appropriately to it. I'll state a different way to see if you can understand what I meant better. I never said, nor would argue they did not believe what they did and would "die for a lie". That's ridiculous. Who would do that? But people die all the time for strongly held beliefs. It doesn't mean that what they believe is necessarily supported by the fact, or the ONLY way to think about, believe in, or understand the thing. They could have been factually wrong, but their belief they were right was sincere. Anyone who dies for what they believe in I'd consider sincere. That doesn't mean how they believed is factual.

Clearer now?

It was already crystal clear to me before. But Paul wrote this regarding the resurrection:

“. . . And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith.”

Paul understood, as do I, that unless Jesus literally, not symbolically or figuratively only, but literally, rose from the dead, that he was preaching a falsified eternal resurrection for believers.

Well, that's an interesting interpretation of the facts of these things. Not what I expected. Fascinating. So you believe the resurrection myths that predate Jesus were a sort of prophetic "foreshadowing" of Jesus, but were not the "real mccoy" as they say?

This argument kind of reminds of something a Pentecostal Christian I was speaking with said when I mentioned how other religions speak in tongues too. He said they were "counterfeit" gifts of the spirit. I then asked him how you can have a counterfeit of something before the "real" thing exists? You can't have a counterfeit year 2416 dollar bill in the year 2016. Yet, you have tongues talking mentioned at least 400 years before the day of Pentecost. That's not a counterfeit at that point. Then his argument fell into a disintegrated heap as he tried to say the devil foresaw the real thing, and tried to fake people out ahead of time, and all other manner of mental gymnastics to defend that argument of his.

So how do you deal with the stories the preceded Christ that touch on the exact same themes? And secondly, what is it that you think the story of Jesus is not about the same things they are? Why not treat the Christian myth as saying the same existential truths as the myths of other cultures? What make yours a fact and theirs a simple facsimile? Explain that to me. Doesn't that sound a tad biased?

And BTW, this is not a facile point. It's critical and I'll continue to come back to this to explore it with you.

There’s nothing new under the sun. Should I take pre-Jesus resurrection myths as invalidating the resurrection? No. As proving the resurrection? No. They are mutually exclusive.

Good questions about Christ and pre-Christian epics and so on:

1. Jesus offers salvation via trusting in His person. In general, other faiths offer salvation by dint of our personal efforts.

2. Jesus offers perfection, not mere rehabilitation.

3. Jesus rose from the dead.

4. The Bible claims the include the very words of God. Other faiths have teachers, gurus and prophets, etc. who claim certain things short of this—in most pre-Christian epics.

5. Post-Christian beliefs often claim to include Jesus. Jesus predicted this.

6. The Bible predicted literal, specific things. Over 40 came true in 1948 when Israel was reinstated and revived as a Jewish nation.

7. Jesus fulfilled over 300 prophecies about His person in His First Advent.

Let’s sum what we have so far:

I claim that you believe differently about the Bible, and you agree. We interpret it using different methods and criterion.

I claim that you are yet to substantiate in any tangible, non-philosophical way, how and/or why I should take plain face value Bible statements and reject them for “higher” less literal meanings.

You claim I’m not as far developed along the mythic-literal scale of understanding. In other words, while I claim (and you agree) that you interpret the Bible differently, you continue to insult and mock me.

Why should I continue discussing with you? You argue using the same tactics as my atheist friends. I quote a Bible passage and you say I interpret it improperly. Then I ask you to justify your interpretation and you “just know” what is correct, same as the atheists.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
First off, I am not insulting or mocking you at all. I'm sorry you take me referencing the various stages that we all, myself included, go through. I find it helpful to understand the differences between where the two of us are in order to attempt some degree of understanding, certainly for myself, and hopeful for you out of respect for others who think about God differently than you. We are real. I represent many like me, and I happen to have a gift to communicate these types of thoughts, which I am attempting to do here in this discussion with you.

Never once have I said you're stupid, ignorant, bad smelling or any such other thing that would in fact be an insult. There are people who are in fact considerably further along than I am in their thoughts and realizations. I aspire to continue my own growth. If I take that others further along than me imagine they think I'm just an idiot, well that's totally unfair to anything they think about me. Ditto. That's you doing that, not me.

To my response...

The Nostradamus prophecies are vague. The Jesus prophecies are not only specific; many of them are in the Septuagint, which scholars date to 2-3 centuries before the birth of Christ.
They're not vague to those who believe in them, just like the one's from the bible aren't vague to you. It's still the same trick of belief and approach, that rabbit up the sleeve.

1. You are confusing “He loves us so much he names each hair on your head” with “He names each hair on your head”.
Actually I am not. It is exactly a metaphor. "He knows the very hairs on your head Billy, there's nothing to fear. God loves you more than you know, every cell of your body, every hair on your head". Metaphor. The message is not to tell you God can count numbers! It's to say how intimately God is aware of you. Period. Nothing scientific there.

2. One reason your constant anti-literal interpolations are frustrating—the Bible is absolutely replete (both testaments) with ultra-specific place and people names, geneaologies, times, dates and more. The ark of the covenant and Noah’s ark, the tabernacle and temple, all are delineated by materials, size, preparation style, etc.
Not to offend, but Star Trek has tons of technical details that are added that add a sense of the reality of the story. It is still a story though. But a darned good one! Its mythologies speak volumes to our humanity, just like the bible! That is a compliment, BTW.

3. I’ve asked you a dozen times or more for your evidence as to how and where the Bible speaks literally and in plain language, I should bend the obvious meaning to interpolate non-specific “spiritual” symbolism. I still await the favor of your reply. Either prove what you believe or let’s please talk about something else?
I actually answer the first time you asked it. I was pretty clear at the time, and since the multiple times I've addressed it. Context. It may be literal or figurative, but even if they believed it literally, it's all still symbolic. If some literally believed Apollo existed, Apollo is still symbolic to them. Apollo is a god to them, and a god is symbolic! Very simple.

But the three choices you accept, Spirit, Love and Light, are all scriptural. It’s also eminently scriptural that God holds all knowledge and wisdom, too!
And God also has a hand, according to scripture! :) Do you believe that "hand" is actual flesh and bone, muscles and tendons, fingernails, cuticles, and the like? How come the hand of God is metaphoric, and him counting your hair isn't? Can you please explain that to me?

I'll finish my response later, as our routine goes here....

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I use the term database by way of analogy. We are currently mapping the human genome, but it is vast. The maker of it knows all of it—in the Bible. You have a different sort of detached-from-the-universe deity in mind.
I most certainly do not have God detached from the Universe!! Absolutely not! What do you imagine I was expressing when I said God is nearer than your very breath? Does that sound like Deism to you? :)

I actually don't think you do understand how I view God, and perhaps that's what I really need to do is simply tell you. But you'll have to be ready for poetry, and not a defined theology. I think you hope for that, a defined theology, to be able say "God looks like this, and this is what we need to do to relate to God so God accepts us". How I believe, is very much the opposite of that.

You are ignoring all the places in the Bible where it says God indeed counts, measures, weighs, discerns, decides, knows, judges, etc.
Not ignoring them at all. I'm fully aware of them. I'd be surprised if you could quote something I'm not aware of. I'd be stunned actually, but it's possible since I'm getting older now and things slip now and then. :)

Again, you cherry pick not only verses but verse interpretations.
Oh, I can guarantee you I do not cherry pick. Cherry picking is an exercise in intellectual dishonesty, like cherry picking the Theory of Evolution, saying one accepts evolution, but just not as an explanation of how species came into being! That's actual cherry picking.

Here's what makes what I do not cherry picking. I do not try to ignore or make excuses for verses of scripture. I totally acknowledge them. What I do is not cherry picking, it's contextualizing. I contextualize the verses in the culture, the language, the stages of human development, the social environments, the moral stages, the spiritual stages, and a very long and exhaustive list of things which create the context in which I read things written in history and seek to glean their relevance, or their cultural artifacts, as well as as genuine spiritual context of the realization of God in the world. There is no, self-blinding going on here on my side of things. No cherry picking at all.

I’m still trying to understand why you do so. I got from you that fundamentalism is “wrong” but you never told me how you came to understand it being wrong (or in what way(s) it’s wrong) other than you were offended once by someone claiming to be a fundamentalist “minister”.
Oh gosh. Sorry. I actually was a fundamentalist. I know quite a lot about them. I understand it from the inside.

More later...

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think you are misunderstanding the correct use of formula. Let me give you an example:

Islam = Jesus isn’t God or Savior

Christianity = Jesus is God and Savior

Islam, therefore, is not the same as Christianity or vice versa

What you wrote sounds lovely and spiritual but is uninformed (and untrue).
Those are not formulas, at least not in the context I was speaking of. I was speaking of formulas for salvation, meaning you've got to get the recipe right, such as:

1. The blood of Jesus to counteract the acidity of God's wrath against you
2. Personal prayer of acceptance in order to activate the blood agent on your behalf
3. Live according to approved church doctrines and standards to remain in the fold of the "saved"
4. Bake in the oven for the rest of your life, pull out at and and let rest in heaven

That's what I mean by a formulaic salvation.

I understand you. However, you have begged several questions:

1. On what basis do you know for certain the events of the Bible are “all symbolic”? Because I know that Tillich and Fowler weren’t there contemporaneous to the Bible times. You seem to act like they were and they know.
I don't think you actually do understand me because you ask a question like this. Hopefully in my response you will begin to understand what I've been saying all along.

Every word we use is symbolic. All language is ultimately metaphor. Them "being there" is utterly irrelevant as these moderns, and postmoderns, have an understanding of how human language and symbolic representation works for all humans, in all ages, just like the way a biologist would understand the digestive system of a St. Peter even though he lived 2000 years ago.

You'll need to spend some time digesting what I'm about to share in order to begin to track with me in the things I've been saying about this. First here's a few great quotes to set the tone, then an academic look at this:

“The metaphor is perhaps one of man’s most fruitful potentialities. Its efficacy verges on magic, and it seems a tool for creation which God forgot inside one of His creatures when He made him.” Jose Ortega y Gasset (Spanish philosopher and humanist , 1883-1955)

“A world ends when its metaphor has died” Archibald MacLeish (American Poet and Critic. 1892-1982)

“Language is memory and metaphor”, Storm Jameson​

Where I am really getting at here can be found expressed in this article on Metaphor and Phenomenology:

While the basic features of phenomenological consciousness – intentionality, self-awareness, embodiment, and so forth—have been the focus of analysis, Continental philosophers such as Paul Ricoeur and Jacques Derrida go further in adding a linguistically creative dimension. They argue that metaphor and symbol act as the primary interpreters of reality, generating richer layers of perception, expression, and meaning in speculative thought. The interplay of metaphor and phenomenology introduces serious challenges and ambiguities within long-standing assumptions in the history of Western philosophy, largely with respect to the strict divide between the literal and figurative modes of reality based in the correspondence theory of truth.

In purely conventional terms, poetic language can only be said to refer to itself; that is, it can accomplish imaginative description through metaphorical attribution, but the description does not refer to any reality outside of itself. For the purposes of traditional rhetoric and poetics in the Aristotelian mode, metaphor may serve many purposes; it can be clever, creative, or eloquent, but never true in terms of referring to new propositional content. This is due to the restriction of comparison to substitution, such that the cognitive impact of the metaphoric transfer of meaning is produced by assuming similarities between literal and figurative domains of objects and the descriptive predicates attributed to them.

The phenomenological interpretation of metaphor, however, not only challenges the substitution model, it advances the role of metaphor far beyond the limits of traditional rhetoric. In the Continental philosophical tradition, the most extensive developments of metaphor’s place in phenomenology are found in the work of Martin Heidegger, Paul Ricoeur and Jacques Derrida. They all, in slightly different ways, see figurative language as the primary vehicle for the disclosure and creation of new forms of meaning which emerge from an ontological, rather than purely epistemic or objectifying engagement with the world.

According to the standard model, a metaphor’s ability to signify is restricted by ordinary denotation. The metaphor, understood as a new name, is conceived as a function of individual terms, rather than sentences or wider forms of discourse (narratives, texts). As Continental phenomenology develops in the late 19th and 20th centuries, we are presented with radically alternative theories which obscure strict boundaries between the literal and the figurative, disrupting the connections between perception, language, and thought. Namely, the phenomenological, interactionist, and cognitive treatments of metaphor defend the view that metaphorical language and symbol serve as indirect routes to novel ways of knowing and describing human experience. In their own ways, these theories will call into question the validity and usefulness of correspondence and reference, especially in theoretical disciplines such as philosophy, theology, literature, and science.

What is important also to understand that they referenced in that article is the Correspondence Theory of Truth. I would spend some time familiarizing yourself with this as I do touch on it in these discussions, though I don't name it as such.

2. On what basis are you claiming that people who died for proclaiming Jesus and Savior and God were mistaken? On what basis do you claim THEIR aim was to promote the symbology of God rather than the saving gospel of God?
Promoting the symbol of God is effectively doing that. We access our higher Self through archetypal forms. We aren't just translating the world through symbols, but reaching beyond the mundane which is the role of archetypal symbols. The symbol of death and resurrection is commonplace in human culture for a good reason.

Now, did the Apostle Paul understand these things were operating at that level? I highly doubt that! He would not be able to articulate this as he never examined language and symbols on that level. That's a very postmodernist realization. He just simply used them that way, the way they function, without a conscious awareness of how these things work. That describes 95% of people today as well, just simply using them not understanding what they are.

3. If Hell and Heaven are literal destinations, what should loving people say to other people?
If true, then loving people should try to help other deal with the terror of living under such a threat from such a deity! I get this mental image of siblings trying to comfort and console each other to help them deal with the constant threat of a parent-figure who holds all power over them, never quite sure whether or not he'll strike them down with his wrath. This is one reason I think psychologically such a theology is damaging to spiritual seekers. It's the whole "love me or else" invitation that disturbs me to the core.

It was already crystal clear to me before.
Then why did you berate me saying I hadn't answered you and made me respond saying essentially the same thing again?

But Paul wrote this regarding the resurrection:

“. . . And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith.”
Yes, that's how the Apostle Paul thought about these things. Unlike you, I do not view Paul's opinion as the opinion all must believe in order to have a valid, living relationship with God! But even then, even if it is a requirement of salvation as part of the magical formula I mentioned that people accept that Paul's words are absolute without any of his own ego and personality types blasting themselves all over in his teachings, I would find that extremely difficult to do, considering that even he and the other Apostles disputed points of views and theologies amongst themselves! This is not a requirement of anything to accept him as flawless in thought.

The Apostle Paul is an interesting man. There is a quote I've heard regarding Paul which expresses my own opinion of him. It goes, "Paul is like that proverbial child. When he's good, he's really, really good! But when he's bad, he's horrid!". That's how I feel about Paul too. He has some very genuine mystical insights, but then he turns around with his temper-tantruming ego, "I'm in charge! Listen to me! A curse on those others who dispute what I say!", as one example. I've known ministers like him with huge egos like that.

That said however, like anything I do find value in what Paul says, but I realize that a Paul, or a Peter, or a James, etc, are really just people like you or me. And like me, they tried their ernest best to follow their path to God using what they had available to them, which is why you end up with so much of the symbols of that culture in their theologies. That's why you end up with the images of Jesus you see Paul bring to the table that others did not, because he was part of the culture in Asia Minor.

Please remember I do not believe one can magically speak of truth independent of these factors. Those factors in themselves alone mean that the truth is relative to them. But in my understanding, I can find that same truth in other relative contexts. This point you in fact do not understand yet.

Paul understood, as do I, that unless Jesus literally, not symbolically or figuratively only, but literally, rose from the dead, that he was preaching a falsified eternal resurrection for believers.
Again, this comment shows that you have not been understanding me yet. Hopefully that link and quotes I provided will help rectify that.

I'll spend some time on the pre-Jesus myths in a separate post as I very much want to bring our focus to them....

Last edited:

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
First off, I am not insulting or mocking you at all. I'm sorry you take me referencing the various stages that we all, myself included, go through. I find it helpful to understand the differences between where the two of us are in order to attempt some degree of understanding, certainly for myself, and hopeful for you out of respect for others who think about God differently than you. We are real. I represent many like me, and I happen to have a gift to communicate these types of thoughts, which I am attempting to do here in this discussion with you.

Yet I want to discuss the facts of the Bible you contravene constantly, and you want to discuss that the key to spirituality is one’s advancement along the mythic-literal scale.

Here's what makes what I do not cherry picking. I do not try to ignore or make excuses for verses of scripture. I totally acknowledge them. What I do is not cherry picking, it's contextualizing. I contextualize the verses in the culture, the language, the stages of human development, the social environments, the moral stages, the spiritual stages, and a very long and exhaustive list of things which create the context in which I read things written in history and seek to glean their relevance, or their cultural artifacts, as well as as genuine spiritual context of the realization of God in the world. There is no, self-blinding going on here on my side of things. No cherry picking at all.

And yet, you don’t see the presumption in judging persons you’ve never met as to their “moral stages” and “spiritual stages”.

Those are not formulas, at least not in the context I was speaking of. I was speaking of formulas for salvation, meaning you've got to get the recipe right, such as:

1. The blood of Jesus to counteract the acidity of God's wrath against you
2. Personal prayer of acceptance in order to activate the blood agent on your behalf
3. Live according to approved church doctrines and standards to remain in the fold of the "saved"
4. Bake in the oven for the rest of your life, pull out at and and let rest in heaven

That's what I mean by a formulaic salvation.

Do you feel parodying what I believe is helpful?

I believe: Trust Jesus for salvation.

You added the “live according to approved standards and doctrines”. Obviously when you think you were an active member of a fundamentalist church, you were a member of a legalistic church.

I’m fine with your nuanced understanding, an understanding I cohere and agree with, that metaphor, symbol, etc. are our primary tools for interpreting reality. However, reality is 2+2=4, at least, if you want to be a cashier and not a thief. Likewise, Jesus rose from a literal grave. Literal soldiers were standing by and were bought off with literal money to make a literal false report and etc.

Now, did the Apostle Paul understand these things were operating at that level? I highly doubt that! He would not be able to articulate this as he never examined language and symbols on that level. That's a very postmodernist realization. He just simply used them that way, the way they function, without a conscious awareness of how these things work. That describes 95% of people today as well, just simply using them not understanding what they are.

Fine, Paul was not a postmodernist and was unable to understand symbols as interpreters of reality. Yet, multiple times I’ve posted the following, which you’ve utterly ignored:

“If Jesus didn’t rise from the grave following His crucifixion and scourging, neither will we. Therefore, instead of saying we’re “good and spiritual people”, pity me if Jesus didn’t literally rise from the dead, for I’ve been beaten, shipwrecked and stoned for this teaching.” – Paul

Either address the above or we’re done. Especially since you claim these great, swelling disagreements between the NT brethren and ALL OF THEM AFFIRMED THE SAME GOSPEL OF A LITERAL RESURRECTION FROM A LITERAL GRAVE. THEY WERE EYEWITNESSES TO THE TRIALS AND CRUCIFIXON OF CHRIST, AND WERE GATHERED TOGETHER HIDING FROM THE ROMANS WHEN JESUS APPEARED BEFORE THEM.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There’s nothing new under the sun. Should I take pre-Jesus resurrection myths as invalidating the resurrection? No. As proving the resurrection? No. They are mutually exclusive.
My point is to recognize that these are symbolically meaningful to our experience as human beings, not only the Christian myth, but the myths of all other religions that touch on these themes. It all comes from the same place. It's not about the "fact" of the resurrection, but the "story" of it, the meaning of the myth. This can be said not only of the resurrection story, but of pretty much any common religious theme. It all comes from the same place within us, which is our sense of the Transcendent in us and the world.

In other words it is perfectly valid for a Christian to say, "These are the stories of our religion and they have meaning to us symbolically." They do not need to be factual for that to occur. What makes a modern or postmodern, or integral Christianity valid is that they embrace the meaning of the stories, the meaning of the myths within the lineage of the religion itself. How we understand the mechanics of how these occur, does not change the meaning of them! That is something you have yet to appreciate for other Christians that don't think in the terms of this as you currently are.

I hadn't gotten to your other points when you just responded now.. but I think the above should address exactly what you are threatening me with. I have been responding to your points, not avoiding them. You simply are not following, or taking the time to truly understand or appreciate my position on these matters. If you wish to not continue, then that is your choice. Isolation is not to key to growth and understanding of others who don't think like you. Your choice.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I do want to address these summary points while you decide if you wish to continue or not. There are some important things I feel I need to speak to in them.

Let’s sum what we have so far:

I claim that you believe differently about the Bible, and you agree. We interpret it using different methods and criterion.
Agreed

I claim that you are yet to substantiate in any tangible, non-philosophical way, how and/or why I should take plain face value Bible statements and reject them for “higher” less literal meanings.
You don't think philosophy has any tangible value? That's sounds very modernist. Of course our ideas of reality affect our experience of it. But what I have been offering as substantiating them is not philosophy. I have referenced very specifically semiotics and language and recently this: Metaphor and Phenomenology | Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy

You cannot simply swipe this aside by saying "It's just philosophy". It is an understanding based upon a careful analysis of how the mind works, examining structures of language and brain, and so on and so forth. If you choose to ignore or dismiss the research and data as you may the study of the origins of our species, then you are not allowed to say I am not responding to you. I am addressing your points very specifically, and backing them up. Never, ever, do I say "just because".

You claim I’m not as far developed along the mythic-literal scale of understanding. In other words, while I claim (and you agree) that you interpret the Bible differently, you continue to insult and mock me.
If you take that as an insult, I'm sorry. It is not. There is no reason to not recognize these very real, objectively real stages of growth. Do you believe you are at the highest stage of growth? Do you believe these stages do not exist? How do you respond to recognizing the validity of them? Do you just dismiss them, or acknowledge them? If you acknowledge them, then why think when someone speaks of them, to see where we all respectively fall within these that that's an insult? I'm sorry you feel it it. I do not.

Why should I continue discussing with you? You argue using the same tactics as my atheist friends. I quote a Bible passage and you say I interpret it improperly. Then I ask you to justify your interpretation and you “just know” what is correct, same as the atheists.
And here is that important point I wanted to address with you. First of all, I absolutely do not say I "just know". I have very substantial supporting rationale behind how I perceive these things, and I've gone to say great lengths to share those reasons with you. But you are not addressing those points, and instead turn straight around and accuse me of not answering you! What is happening is you are not hearing or truly grasping the explanations I'm offering, and call that me not answering. What it appears is that I'm not answering in terms that make sense to you, or terms that you can quite understand yet because of possibly the necessary requisite foundations. That's a shortcoming in communication on my part. But that's an entirely different thing that me not actually answering. I've made considerable effort to help you understand, but that is not succeeding and we find ourselves stuck with you asking questions I've already answered in detail.

Now as far as comparing my responses to the types of responses atheists offer, I'll happily accept that! This is what I wanted to get at. If we go by Fowler's Stages, which I accept as valid scientific research within the field of developmental studies, I see modern atheism very much falling into the Stage 4 stage. Stage 4 is marked out by its "demythologizing" efforts. That is very much what modern atheism is doing. There is nothing wrong with doing that, as I pointed out by quoting from Fowler's research that the benefits of this is a deeper and richer understanding of the meanings that were in the symbols previously for them. Neo-atheism in particular I see as a "transitioning" from Stage 3 into Stage 4, a Stage 3-4 to be precise. They largely, not all of course, are in the "debunking" part of that transition, but not to where they can necessarily embrace the meaning of the symbol without the literalizing of it.

So when you hear similar arguments coming from me, it's with good reason. I have already demythologized these things. Their arguments are in fact valid in many cases, not so much in other ways though. What marks me as different than this however is that I can redeem that "baby from the bathwater", being able to embrace the deeper spiritual truths of the symbol that is not dependent on the facticity of the mediating object itself. To the neo-atheist, "It's all BS," because if it's not literally, factually true, than it's false". To me, that is why I say it's Stage 3-4, because they are still operating under the viewpoint that the symbol and the meaning are inseparable from one another, which is characteristic of Stage 3 traditionalism. In other words, they're processing an emerging realization that the symbol is not "true" in the sense they understood it previously.

Where Stage 5 comes in, which defines pretty solidly where I am at, is something I hadn't mentioned previously which is referred to as a Conjunctive Faith. Where I am at is having gone through this demythologizing, and recognition of the meaning and value of the symbol can be found in other symbols, such as you will find talked about in the Perennial Philosophy, which I agree a great deal with. I find myself attracted to the language and symbols I am very versed in within the Christian lineage and explore my own continuing realization through them, albeight understood in a different light than was held previously by me in the practice of them, such as in your current approach I am well familiar with. I can transpose them about rather freely, but the words of Jesus are those that come to mind as I explore those Depths of the Divine.

For those of Stage 4 or Stage 5 or Stage 6 faith, to lay claim to the traditions they were exposed to is completely legitimate and valid. How we understand things is in fact going to be held in a different light than we did at our own previous stages, which we all without fail grew through. This is how development works, "transcend and include" what came before, upon which what comes later builds upon. There is nothing invalid about this at all. It's all simply a matter of how we hold the same "Truth" to be meaningful to us, in a slightly different wrapper of understanding, perception, and perspective.

My entire point in all of this is to underscore how someone like myself does not need to engage in science-denial, or any other modern or postmodern understandings in order to preserve the meaning of the symbols of the Christian religion. I don't need the stories of the Christian tradition to be literally factual historic and scientific events, in order to embrace the truth and meaning the stories carry in them. This is how modern, postmodern, and integral Christians are able to legitimately call themselves Christian, while at the same time not thinking in the specific modes of thought characteristic of mainline traditionalism, let alone in terms of fundamentalists.

If nothing else but this I've said has any truth and value in it for you, then I've done at least that much good in our discussions, which I've appreciated.

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Fine, Paul was not a postmodernist and was unable to understand symbols as interpreters of reality. Yet, multiple times I’ve posted the following, which you’ve utterly ignored:

“If Jesus didn’t rise from the grave following His crucifixion and scourging, neither will we. Therefore, instead of saying we’re “good and spiritual people”, pity me if Jesus didn’t literally rise from the dead, for I’ve been beaten, shipwrecked and stoned for this teaching.” – Paul

Either address the above or we’re done.
To conclude our discussion, I have repeatedly and specifically addressed this, and will yet once more for the record. This is how Paul framed his understanding of these things. It is not necessary to think as Paul did about them. He was a man of his time and culture and symbol sets. I am a man of my time and have different ways to understand them. Thinking of God in terms of bloodletting is not part of my knowledge of God. It was of his, but not of mine. I do not believe that thinking in those terms he did is a requirement for a relationship with God. Period. I'm glad it's not, as it would make a certain mode of thought the basis on which we are able to know God. I utterly reject that as true.

This in essence ties into a larger question that you cannot address in thinking that somehow this is a spiritual requirement. Some people are simply not capable of believing in those terms, be they those of another culture where such things violate their core values, or many of modern culture where these things are understood as cultural artifacts from our ancient past. You make thinking in those terms the requirement of salvation, and that is to say the least cruel and unfair to others. You mistake your beliefs, with Truth itself, and judge and consign others who are can't conform their modes of thinking to yours to eternal separation from God. This to me is a sin. I would hope if anything, your heart would speak the truth of that to you.

Thank you for this discussion. It's been helpful for me to explore where this could go with you. I got a great deal of good out it. Hopefully you got some good out of it as well. If you wish to continue, let me know.