• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Christianity support?

As a Christian, which do you support?

• Total voters

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I await the answer to my question, still. The gospel I share and discussions of Heaven or Hell were in the mouths of Jesus and all the NT writers.

Were they religiously diseased, pathological? Jesus talked about a tower that tragically fell on innocents and his reply to those concerned about this horror was "it can happen to you sinners, too".

I quoted verses that you say "reflect that very human interpretation of God". Rather, these are verses that God directed to men. Jesus commanded all His disciples to further the gospel and all he taught in Matthew 28. Please stop equivocating and address my question.

I'd also be delighted to discuss the issues you raised in-depth. Yet you have called me "religiously diseased, pathological" so I think perhaps I shouldn't. It's hard enough serving Jesus in this world without adding more detractors with no respect for my gospel, the gospel of the Bible writers.

Thanks.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I quoted verses that you say "reflect that very human interpretation of God". Rather, these are verses that God directed to men.
You may recall I do not believe in the Bible as a "divine dictation". So my answer is consistent with how I think of what the Bible is.

Jesus commanded all His disciples to further the gospel and all he taught in Matthew 28. Please stop equivocating and address my question.
I did address the question. The writers had Jesus saying this. It reflects their thoughts about who and what God was to them, in the context of the culture they lived in.

I'd also be delighted to discuss the issues you raised in-depth. Yet you have called me "religiously diseased,
I most certainly did not say you are religiously diseased. I said fundamentalism as a system is dysfunctional. I do not believe Jesus taught a path of fundamentalism as a approach to the Divine. Absolutely not. Again, I do not say that the mythic-literal stage of faith is a dysfunction. It's not. In fact it's quite healthy and necessary as a stage of growth. But fundamentalism is an aberration, not a stage of growth. As I said from the outset, You somehow don't impress me as dysfunctional. Is the system you are part of truly "fundamentalist" or just simply conservative, I don't know. But even if you are in a dysfunctional system, that doesn't mean you yourself personally are. You haven't impressed me that way, and I've spoken with numerous died-in-the-wool, hardcore fundis. I wouldn't be wasting my time with you if I truly felt that.

It's hard enough serving Jesus in this world without adding more detractors with no respect for my gospel, the gospel of the Bible writers.
I have respect for those who preach love. Do you preach love? I embrace all who do, whether they are Christian, Buddhist, Hindu, Jew, Muslim, or Atheist. All who do, to me, are following Jesus' commandment to us. I've known many atheists who are more "Christian" than Christians are. As I said, it's not about what you believe.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I thought about this this evening in talking with my mother about my father's death this past April. Why is it I believe fundamentalism is not a healthy form of spiritual life and development. First off, I was part of a fundamentalist organization for some rather formidable years of my life, and spent years sorting out an recovering from it to finally find Peace in God despite the poison of it. I could speak at length about that. But I think this topic I started following the death of my father this past April should underscore it with deep red lines highlighted the utter, sad, tragic dysfunction that it is. Please read this, and read it with an open heart, and an open mind. http://www.religiousforums.com/threads/religious-predators.186777/

Deidre

The Bible supports creationism over evolution, but seeing that there is more than enough evidence to support the theory of evolution, it doesn't have to cause a Christian to abandon one thought over another. I believe in evolution, and that God was ''behind it.'' I think that science and faith can coexist. :)

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Bible supports creationism over evolution
Actually it doesn't. Creationism is a pseudoscience. The Bible supports the cultural myth of Adam and Eve. It's purpose is not to address our modern questions of science, but rather the essence of the story which is not about science and history, but something far more important.

Deidre

Actually it doesn't. Creationism is a pseudoscience. The Bible supports the cultural myth of Adam and Eve. It's purpose is not to address our modern questions of science, but rather the essence of the story which is not about science and history, but something far more important.
I don't know if it would fall into 'science' at all. lol It's strictly a religious perspective of the origin of man, etc over evolution, IMO.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't know if it would fall into 'science' at all. lol It's strictly a religious perspective of the origin of man, etc over evolution, IMO.
Creationism is an attempt to make the story of creation a scientific truth. Belief that God is the creator can follow many forms, such as evolution. Creationism on the other hand attempts to make the book of Genesis an account of science and history, which it is not.

Deidre

Creationism is an attempt to make the story of creation a scientific truth. Belief that God is the creator can follow many forms, such as evolution. Creationism on the other hand attempts to make the book of Genesis an account of science and history, which it is not.
That's true.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I most certainly did not say you are religiously diseased. I said fundamentalism as a system is dysfunctional. I do not believe Jesus taught a path of fundamentalism as a approach to the Divine. Absolutely not. Again, I do not say that the mythic-literal stage of faith is a dysfunction. It's not. In fact it's quite healthy and necessary as a stage of growth. But fundamentalism is an aberration, not a stage of growth. As I said from the outset, You somehow don't impress me as dysfunctional. Is the system you are part of truly "fundamentalist" or just simply conservative, I don't know. But even if you are in a dysfunctional system, that doesn't mean you yourself personally are. You haven't impressed me that way, and I've spoken with numerous died-in-the-wool, hardcore fundis. I wouldn't be wasting my time with you if I truly felt that.

I will be traveling after today. Please understand I may not respond before the 5th of next month. But AGAIN, as I have now a dozen (?) times, I’m asking what magical divining tool you are using to tell me and forum readers how you know “Jesus did preach love verses but not those verses where He talks about salvation from Hell.”

Muslims claim the Bible was the Word of God corrupted. When I then hand them my Bible and say, “Fine. Show me the light. Take a pen and circle the uncorrupted verses and x-out the corrupted ones,” they say, “Can’t do it. Not sure.”

You have a slightly different take. You are very sure of which verses are real and which are man’s inventions and projections.

I will accept your unorthodox idea utterly, that the men who heard the love of Jesus mixed it up in the Bible, as soon as you explain how I can acquire this knowledge in the standard ways in which we can test knowledge. If you’re hearing voices, please understand that are clean and unclean spirits and you must discern spirits.

I have respect for those who preach love. Do you preach love? I embrace all who do, whether they are Christian, Buddhist, Hindu, Jew, Muslim, or Atheist. All who do, to me, are following Jesus' commandment to us. I've known many atheists who are more "Christian" than Christians are. As I said, it's not about what you believe.

There are ten commandments in the Decalogue. All atheists break at least 8 of them. There are loving atheists but not atheists who are “more Christian”. I don’t want to hear this garba

I thought about this this evening in talking with my mother about my father's death this past April. Why is it I believe fundamentalism is not a healthy form of spiritual life and development. First off, I was part of a fundamentalist organization for some rather formidable years of my life, and spent years sorting out an recovering from it to finally find Peace in God despite the poison of it. I could speak at length about that. But I think this topic I started following the death of my father this past April should underscore it with deep red lines highlighted the utter, sad, tragic dysfunction that it is. Please read this, and read it with an open heart, and an open mind. http://www.religiousforums.com/threads/religious-predators.186777/[/quote]

I’m deeply saddened and I sincerely apologize that you experienced an abusive pastor during such a difficult time. However, it doesn’t mean all fundamentalists are rude or insensitive or have poor timing. Fundamentalists should know verses like “love is patient and kind” and “like apples of gold are aptly spoken words” and “to everything is a time and season”. The time to tell someone they are in divine trouble is not always when they’re with a loved one in hospice!

You asked me to read your post. You did NOT ask me to read the pages that followed of righteous fundamentalists saying “we’re not all like that so please don’t condemn us all” so sending me to your post led me to seeing that you disobey those who implored you to stop labeling all of us.

Thank you.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member

You may have misspoke there by accident, my friend.

Creationism is not an attempt to make the religious book of Genesis an account of science. Creationism is a look to see whether the story of Genesis (and numerous other creation references throughout the scriptures) harmonizes with modern cosmology and the sciences. If God tells the truth in the Bible, it would be natural and not unnatural for modern, informed science to align with the scriptures. It does on numerous planes.

You also seem to have special, unique knowledge that Genesis isn't a history. Chapters 3 through 50 contain a history and numerous genealogies so your questioning 1 and 2 is presumptive. I grew up as a Jew knowing God revealed prehistory to Moses up to Moses's own time. My studies later as a Christian confirmed this truth. Please provide evidence that Genesis is ahistorical here. I'm open minded but see only philosophical redactions from you so far:

Evidence that Genesis which is one long geneaology is ahistorical:

meghanwaterlillies

Hello brothers and sisters :)
EDITED
I met today a Christian he said :" God could have created Adam (pbuh) and the other creatures using evolution."
I am not deny God created univers by steps,"6 days" but I am mention to creatures , and especially Adam(pbuh) and Eve (pbuh)

Then what is Bible said about creation of creatures ? does Bible support creation of creatures or support evolution of creatures ?
I think that ideas have floated around to created a sort of fluffy idea. Which I can laugh with that but not at it here is why.
There are 3 things that I take from the bible.
1. Jesus Wept.
2. God is Love.
3. God is Perfect.
4. Jesus Christ is God.

Even the third is not in there.
Bible was given in protest to support usurpers.
However if this is manipulated, its no love for that fake stuff.
For example; they called Jesus an animal essentially. Claimed as one. Passover of the lamb..
Wedding feast of the lamb.
Peter used rome which actually was considered Babylon to call people Babylon and he manipulated.
They say he is what the church is founded on. Again no. And Again views people as a bunch of animals needed to be culled or manipulated. Uses the holy spirit in fantastic lies to kill people. Religion uses prophets that usually manipulate or take. Again Jesus is God. They used philosophy such as angels or aliens to start brainwashing letters and messages. This makes people feel good that's why they called rome, Babylon. And its easy to do this sort of manipulation in the age of technology. They call it sister-ing, brothering which I would not call it that, the old testament carries the same model. No body wants to admit they are human. Which I don't understand. The mess with knowledge of good and evil to an extent that they will use evolution or force. Of what little I do hold as truth from the bible that Jesus said NO! Even though I can laugh at things I would not use it for manipulation. Second you have an issue with some of the usurpers that basically use "satan" as a band of hooligans but they sound so nice especially since they pretend they are like speaking against something like watch out for satan yada yada yet they were basically employed by the same "protectors of the flock" again what did they do to the lamb? but no one can understand that and then someone else has to tell you according to paul. I would say that 3 to 6 characters of the new testament are suspicious and can be manipulating against the blood of Christ or simply humanity and also that of old testament force. Neither! Which also retakes a form as Babylon again. I cant tolerate it.
I don't sit around hoping for streets paved with gold that actually means some ****ed up beautiful city with gold and diamonds or married to a dead person anyways actually should read streets paved with blood.
I would not pay tribute or ever want it.
Cringe...
The only good usurper they claimed killed dead and then for streets paved with what? Silver for those that want that?
And Jesus said Again No.

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But AGAIN, as I have now a dozen (?) times, I’m asking what magical divining tool you are using to tell me and forum readers how you know “Jesus did preach love verses but not those verses where He talks about salvation from Hell.”
I addressed that the first time you raised it. There is no magical divining tool, no voices in my head. Just a combination of reason and the witness of what is in my heart that knows the voice of love. Add to this scholarship which explains how these texts more likely came into being rather than "magic". The magic element exists on your end of things, not on mine. You have it exactly backward.

Muslims claim the Bible was the Word of God corrupted. When I then hand them my Bible and say, “Fine. Show me the light. Take a pen and circle the uncorrupted verses and x-out the corrupted ones,” they say, “Can’t do it. Not sure.”

You have a slightly different take. You are very sure of which verses are real and which are man’s inventions and projections.
No. This is all your interpretation of what I am saying. I'm not making claims of what is "authentic" and what is not. I don't look to it as a source of authority of what is truth, and it's my job to find out the "facts". That does not fit into my thinking about these things at all. And that I have explained probably a dozen or so times if not more so far. ALL of them are expressions of man's projections. ALL of them. Which ones speak to my heart, that's what is important. Which ones inspire faith and love. Those are truth.

I will accept your unorthodox idea utterly,
I proudly wear my heresy. We need more who do so in the name of Love. Amen. :)

that the men who heard the love of Jesus mixed it up in the Bible, as soon as you explain how I can acquire this knowledge in the standard ways in which we can test knowledge.
Oh, that's not what's going to lead you to hear it. You have to get beyond needing "proofs". This whole thing is a systemic problem of modernity which filters it way into religious faith. Again, with what I shared quite some time ago now,

One of the ironies of biblical literalism is that it shares so largely in the reductionist and literalist spirit of the age. It is not nearly as conservative as it supposes. It is modernistic, and it sells its symbolic birthright for a mess of tangible pottage. Biblical materials and affirmations -- in this case the symbolism of Creator and creation – are treated as though of the same order and the same literary genre as scientific and historical writing. “I believe in God the Father Almighty” becomes a chronological issue, and “Maker of heaven and earth” a technological problem.​

If you’re hearing voices, please understand that are clean and unclean spirits and you must discern spirits.
For God's sake. I'm not suffering from schizophrenia. I addressed this the first time you brought it up. Why are you back here? Explain your imagination to me.

But this does raise an interesting point. Do you believe those who do suffer from schizophrenia are vexed by "unclean spirits"? If so, then why is it you say you are not living in a premodern, prescientific reality? How is that embracing science? Do you think mental illnesses are caused by spirits? What about things like cancer or alzheimer's? Are these natural, or caused by dark forces? I'm genuinely curious to hear your answer to these.

There are ten commandments in the Decalogue. All atheists break at least 8 of them. There are loving atheists but not atheists who are “more Christian”. I don’t want to hear this garba
And yet, according to the Lord Jesus, all the commandments hang on two commandments only, which can be summarized in one: Love. If an atheist does not name God as such, yet embraces Love and let's it flow through him to others, then he is a follower of Jesus, he has fulfilled the Law.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Creationism is not an attempt to make the religious book of Genesis an account of science.
Oh, but it is because it holds it up as evidence of the origins of the world in opposition to what science declares. One can only argue against the science with other scientific evidence. It treats it as if it is a scientific recording of how life came into being.

Creationism is a look to see whether the story of Genesis (and numerous other creation references throughout the scriptures) harmonizes with modern cosmology and the sciences.
So you're saying that's not an "alternative" scientific theory that should be taught in science classrooms as science, but rather should be kept in a Bible study class teaching the harmonization of the Bible with modern science? Fascinating.

In reality Creationism is a thinly-veiled guise that is science-denial in an attempt to make a particular reading of Genesis scientifically acceptable. If they can just disprove what science shows evidence for, then they can make their beliefs acceptable because "science doesn't really understand this stuff". To me, that's bad on every level imaginable. It's bad science. It's bad faith.

If God tells the truth in the Bible,
It's not that God is either telling the truth or not in the Bible. If you remove that variable and understand that it's ALL human expressions of their views and understandings of the divine spoken through the lens of their culture and images of God they held at the time, all this hand-wrangling about "accuracy" suddenly is no longer the focus. You can move on to bigger questions to find truth at a different level. That's where I'm at with these questions and approach.

it would be natural and not unnatural for modern, informed science to align with the scriptures. It does on numerous planes.
Are you saying science needs to conform to the Bible texts according to how those like you read it? Be honest here.

You also seem to have special, unique knowledge that Genesis isn't a history.
First of all, it's not a special or unique knowledge. It's a fairly common knowledge, which I happen to agree with. While it is presented as a "historical" story, it's not a historically accurate in totality. Particularly focusing on the Creation story, it is categorically an Origin Myth. These exist in cultures the world over, and they too, like Genesis, are presented as something that happened in history. "Once upon a time, when this world began, man lived in paradise until something bad happened and now we are here". That's a common theme. Genesis is no more factual history than any other Origin Myth is.

Now, speaking of origin myths, in fact most all of the stories about Israel up to the Davidic kingdom fit into that category. Yes, there is some actual history in there too, but that doesn't therefore translate into all of it being literally factual history. And I, and many others include the Gospels into that category of origin myths. It's the myth of the origin of the Christian movement. How much of it factual history is a matter of scholarly research (not voices in your head), but it is clear to see the earmarks of mythology woven throughout it. And that's all good and fine, as to me once we get beyond the hand-wrangling of trying to figure out what's "fact" and not, then you can focus on the deeper questions, rather than attempting to rest your faith in facts.

Please provide evidence that Genesis is ahistorical here.
Exhibit A: The Theory of Evolution

I'm open minded but see only philosophical redactions from you so far:
And scientific evidence, and modern scholarship, and..............

Evidence that Genesis which is one long geneaology is ahistorical:
I don't think you understand that mythology doesn't have to exclude imaginary historical contexts. Of course they are set in "history", since they are about how a people who currently exists came into being. It naturally will set it in history. That doesn't make it factual history.

The historical theme is a vehicle for the story itself, which is not dependent on the facts for the truths in the storyline itself to have value and meaning. That point is something you do not appear to be able to grasp yet, as you need to be factual first in order for you to translate its meaning through the lens of your particular theologies. I don't need it to be factual, but you do, and therein lays the true crux of the matter. To me, needing faith to rest in the facts, is building your house on shifting sand.

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I’m deeply saddened and I sincerely apologize that you experienced an abusive pastor during such a difficult time. However, it doesn’t mean all fundamentalists are rude or insensitive or have poor timing.
Poor timing? Is that what you call his "timing" in his predation??? Good God Almighty. There is ZERO excuse for this offence against all that is holy and sacred!

Fundamentalists should know verses like “love is patient and kind” and “like apples of gold are aptly spoken words” and “to everything is a time and season”. The time to tell someone they are in divine trouble is not always when they’re with a loved one in hospice!
The time is NEVER! The fact that you attempt to defend this shows a sad testimony. I actually think you know better than this.

You asked me to read your post. You did NOT ask me to read the pages that followed of righteous fundamentalists saying “we’re not all like that so please don’t condemn us all” so sending me to your post led me to seeing that you disobey those who implored you to stop labeling all of us.
I sincerely do not wish to. Show me reason otherwise.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I’m deeply saddened and I sincerely apologize that you experienced an abusive pastor during such a difficult time. However, it doesn’t mean all fundamentalists are rude or insensitive or have poor timing.
Poor timing? Is that what you call his "timing" in his predation??? Good God Almighty. There is ZERO excuse for this offence against all that is holy and sacred!

Fundamentalists should know verses like “love is patient and kind” and “like apples of gold are aptly spoken words” and “to everything is a time and season”. The time to tell someone they are in divine trouble is not always when they’re with a loved one in hospice!
The time is NEVER! The fact that you attempt to defend this shows a sad testimony. I actually think you know better than this.

I'm sorry I do not see what you are claiming here. I just re-read the whole thread just now and what I see is page after page of everyone saying this is typical. The only person who said anything otherwise was referring to the Chaplains in hospitals that DO honor and respect other's faiths and walk away when turned down. I am NOT talking about all ministers! I am talking about fundamentalists, not mainstream religious faith. I know plenty of ministers whom I embrace with love, who are not narcissistic predators.

I like what I posted in that thread, as it goes to my not condemning all fundamentalists as people, but rather the sickness of the system that supports spiritual illness. Here's what I wrote:

I can forgive the woman as a broken soul who has latched onto a form of religion which simply feeds and reinforces her spiritual illness. But the minister? If he is unable to have basic respect for others, why is he a leader and teacher? Why is he a minister? I can forgive her, though never respect her again, but the minister I am holding accountable for the violation of his role. I plan to write to the administration of the home about having his access to residents revoked as this is clearly predatory behavior. There are many ministers like him out there, and they are truly wolves dressed in sheep's clothing. This has really driven home the point clearly to me.
And oddly enough, just before I read what I wrote above back then I was looking at that verse on building your house on sand and read this from Jesus:

“Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.
The fruit of their actions spoke a thousand decibels louder than their words of so-called righteousness. Again and again, to this day the words ring out in my heart and mind that Jesus said here, "By their fruit you shall recognize them". I spit on their doctrines they pull over themselves to hide what is underneath which is ravenous wolves seeking to suck the lifeblood out of the vulnerable to feed themselves with, like vampires.

"By their fruit you shall recognize them," be they those who are ravenous wolves, or children of God in their hearts and deeds, even if not in name. These children of God are everywhere, regardless of their religious beliefs and doctrines. "By their fruit you will know them... A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit." Again, by their fruit you shall know them, not by their "orthodoxy".

Last edited:

meghanwaterlillies

I will be traveling after today. Please understand I may not respond before the 5th of next month. But AGAIN, as I have now a dozen (?) times, I’m asking what magical divining tool you are using to tell me and forum readers how you know “Jesus did preach love verses but not those verses where He talks about salvation from Hell.”

I will accept your unorthodox idea utterly, that the men who heard the love of Jesus mixed it up in the Bible, as soon as you explain how I can acquire this knowledge in the standard ways in which we can test knowledge. If you’re hearing voices, please understand that are clean and unclean spirits and you must discern spirits.

Im not muslim but I've seen things that flagged itself! from the bible;
But that doesn't take away my faith; And for other people too.
Even with new texts even like the Koran of course I seen errors.

meghanwaterlillies

I certainly appreciate your sharing your personal philosophy at length. I read your most recent posts but we have gone far afield of the root issues, If I may say so. Now, please help me to make some good decisions for my life and faith going forward.

Please provide tools I can use so I know when the Bible is being literal, when it being symbolic, and when it is being both. For example, the third time Jesus makes a prediction in Matthew about His death and resurrection, he is purported to have said:

"Jesus . . . took the twelve disciples aside on the road and said to them, 18 “Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be betrayed to the chief priests and to the scribes; and they will condemn Him to death, 19 and deliver Him to the Gentiles to mock and to scourge and to crucify. And the third day He will rise again.”

Is the above passage literal, a man died and rose, specifically three 24-hour days after His sufferings began? Is it symbolic or allegorical instead or perhaps both literal and symbolic? Did Jesus say this? Did Jesus exist as a real person? We know Gentiles, not Jews, crucified in the 1st century. Were these literal or symbolic Gentiles?

I want to be as discerning as you as to how to parse the text and so I can be a blessing to others and help them to understand the scriptures. Please share your three favorite tools here:

Tool #1 to know if a passage is taken at face value as literal or not:

Tool #2 to know if a passage is taken at face value as literal or not:

Tool #3 to know if a passage is taken at face value as literal or not:

Thank you sincerely for your help.
No matter what happens they will try to say we all crucified the son of God because of John's opening statement or others but I believe they have taken that in error as an approach, we also know that revelation has a part different, an odd little sentence not in other translations. The book said that Jesus said more things and did more things that it could not be written in a book. Which is freeing really. Wonderful guide in points but even some of the words moved around in what we do have.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Hi Meghan and WW:

I was out traveling overseas. Sorry for the delay in responding.

Meghan, God is certainly perfect. You would have to admit He is perfect morally but if not, you would still have to admit that people are imperfect in morals.

ALL of them are expressions of man's projections. ALL of them. Which ones speak to my heart, that's what is important. Which ones inspire faith and love. Those are truth.

So if I do as you do, I can selectively choose from the Bible what is true? Do you not see a slippery slope here? How come you see “Jesus loves people” is true but when I see Jesus warning people of Hell that is “not true” to your (subjective) eyes?

One of the ironies of biblical literalism is that it shares so largely in the reductionist and literalist spirit of the age. It is not nearly as conservative as it supposes. It is modernistic, and it sells its symbolic birthright for a mess of tangible pottage. Biblical materials and affirmations -- in this case the symbolism of Creator and creation – are treated as though of the same order and the same literary genre as scientific and historical writing. “I believe in God the Father Almighty” becomes a chronological issue, and “Maker of heaven and earth” a technological problem.

I would commend your strong stance here except that the Bible itself suggests orderly study, orderly worship and orderly understanding. If it’s modernist to not play fast and loose with truth, you may call me modernist.

For God's sake. I'm not suffering from schizophrenia. I addressed this the first time you brought it up. Why are you back here? Explain your imagination to me.

But this does raise an interesting point. Do you believe those who do suffer from schizophrenia are vexed by "unclean spirits"? If so, then why is it you say you are not living in a premodern, prescientific reality? How is that embracing science? Do you think mental illnesses are caused by spirits? What about things like cancer or alzheimer's? Are these natural, or caused by dark forces? I'm genuinely curious to hear your answer to these.

The scriptures are clear that Jesus healed the sick AND ALSO the possessed. Some people who hear voices hear God, some the devil, some need mental wholeness counseling, of course.

Things like cancer are in part preventable and are caused by lifestyles. You may have forgotten the scriptures proscribe healthy eating and avoiding overmuch alcohol, meat, etc. Sounds familiar when we speak of cancer prevention, of course.

It's not that God is either telling the truth or not in the Bible. If you remove that variable and understand that it's ALL human expressions of their views and understandings of the divine spoken through the lens of their culture and images of God they held at the time, all this hand-wrangling about "accuracy" suddenly is no longer the focus. You can move on to bigger questions to find truth at a different level. That's where I'm at with these questions and approach.

I’m having trouble discerning what the “different level” is you refer to here. It sounds subjective and nebulous, and there is much subjectivity in human spirituality, but apparently you have discovered “higher truths” like Jesus did not resurrect, does not judge, and is not consigning the unredeemed to eternal hell.

First of all, it's not a special or unique knowledge. It's a fairly common knowledge, which I happen to agree with.

I agree if by “common” you mean undiscerning and unrefined. All of Genesis is historical and there is no support to take the first chapters as ahistorical. I can refer you to further readings on this area if you like.

How much of it factual history is a matter of scholarly research (not voices in your head), but it is clear to see the earmarks of mythology woven throughout it.

If by “earmarks” you can point me to falsifications in the text or outside sources, I’m interested. If philosophically, you are saying “Bible miracles cannot be true even though I wasn’t there to say they weren’t,” then I’m not as interested.

Exhibit A: The Theory of Evolution

You are correct if all of the theory of Evolution, rather than just some of it, holds true.

I don’t believe scientists are conspirators, but I do believe some scientists begin with false premises (unintentionally) leading to erroneous conclusions. You are so intent on your didactic, that you continually reprove me as against science without stooping to the courtesy of asking WHY I disbelieve some of Evolutionary theory. If you were trying to win me to your cause rather than mock my “primitive evolution along the spiritual scale” we might both learn more from the discourse.

I’m not holding up Genesis to say it explains away science. Rather, I’m seeing some plot holes in Evolutionary assumptions and conclusions that are gaping in size.

I don't think you understand that mythology doesn't have to exclude imaginary historical contexts. Of course they are set in "history", since they are about how a people who currently exists came into being. It naturally will set it in history. That doesn't make it factual history.

The historical theme is a vehicle for the story itself, which is not dependent on the facts for the truths in the storyline itself to have value and meaning. That point is something you do not appear to be able to grasp yet, as you need to be factual first in order for you to translate its meaning through the lens of your particular theologies. I don't need it to be factual, but you do, and therein lays the true crux of the matter. To me, needing faith to rest in the facts, is building your house on shifting sand.

Faith is valid as long as it in is the correct (true) object. Otherwise, it truly is blind faith.

I sincerely do not wish to. Show me reason otherwise.

Again the pastor’s predation IS inexcusable, but your post is one in a thread of fundamentalists saying we’re not all like that pastor. We call it “anecdotal evidence” which is really untrue evidence when we take one of a set as our “statistical analysis”.

"By their fruit you shall recognize them," be they those who are ravenous wolves, or children of God in their hearts and deeds, even if not in name. These children of God are everywhere, regardless of their religious beliefs and doctrines. "By their fruit you will know them... A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit." Again, by their fruit you shall know them, not by their "orthodoxy".

I accept this passage. Do you accept the many additional passages where we find that bad teachers also have bad doctrines?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Again the pastor’s predation IS inexcusable, but your post is one in a thread of fundamentalists saying we’re not all like that pastor. We call it “anecdotal evidence” which is really untrue evidence when we take one of a set as our “statistical analysis”.
I'll respond to the rest of your post later, but I want to focus you on what I posted later as an edit point, which oddly the forum kept my original abreviated post which lacked the following from this post: What is Christianity support?

I draw your attention to what through a technical flaw escaped your notice:
I'm sorry I do not see what you are claiming here. I just re-read the whole thread just now and what I see is page after page of everyone saying this is typical. The only person who said anything otherwise was referring to the Chaplains in hospitals that DO honor and respect other's faiths and walk away when turned down. I am NOT talking about all ministers! I am talking about fundamentalists, not mainstream religious faith. I know plenty of ministers whom I embrace with love, who are not narcissistic predators.​

I like what I posted in that thread, as it goes to my not condemning all fundamentalists as people, but rather the sickness of the system that supports spiritual illness. Here's what I wrote:

I can forgive the woman as a broken soul who has latched onto a form of religion which simply feeds and reinforces her spiritual illness. But the minister? If he is unable to have basic respect for others, why is he a leader and teacher? Why is he a minister? I can forgive her, though never respect her again, but the minister I am holding accountable for the violation of his role. I plan to write to the administration of the home about having his access to residents revoked as this is clearly predatory behavior. There are many ministers like him out there, and they are truly wolves dressed in sheep's clothing. This has really driven home the point clearly to me.
And oddly enough, just before I read what I wrote above back then I was looking at that verse on building your house on sand and read this from Jesus:

“Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.
The fruit of their actions spoke a thousand decibels louder than their words of so-called righteousness. Again and again, to this day the words ring out in my heart and mind that Jesus said here, "By their fruit you shall recognize them". I spit on their doctrines they pull over themselves to hide what is underneath which is ravenous wolves seeking to suck the lifeblood out of the vulnerable to feed themselves with, like vampires.

If you respond to this, I'll pick up my earlier points in response to you. Welcome back.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So if I do as you do, I can selectively choose from the Bible what is true? Do you not see a slippery slope here? How come you see “Jesus loves people” is true but when I see Jesus warning people of Hell that is “not true” to your (subjective) eyes?
This is easy to answer. Because hell is a mythological construct, whereas love is not.

For your clarification however I should add that I accept "hell" as a metaphor of separation from the divine. I just don't accept it as a literal "place" one goes to after you die where your are tortured endlessly for your shortcomings in this life. Likewise, I do not accept "heaven" as a literal place you go either where you walk on literal streets of gold and have a great big house and all that jazz. I think the metaphor of heaven however is valid. It speaks of the divine dwelling within us. "The kingdom of God is inside you", says Jesus. Even he, when speaking of the kingdom of God said it's not here or there, but inside you.

I would commend your strong stance here except that the Bible itself suggests orderly study, orderly worship and orderly understanding. If it’s modernist to not play fast and loose with truth, you may call me modernist.
That's not what defines modernity. What one of modernity's downsides is, as he points out in that essay I quoted from, is a lack of imagination. It's the literalist mentality being applied to religious symbols and faith! Noah's ark becomes less about the metaphor and more about the magic, turning metaphors into scientific facts and thus killing God. "God is dead", literally is what happens when you turn symbols into mere facts. They become dead metaphors.

Now, as far as your comment, or suggestion that what I am doing is playing "fast and loose with the truth", I disagree with that on very many levels. I think this again in one of these main cruxes of our difference we keep coming to in our discussion with each other. I want to focus a bit on this as it's important to understand.

You recall I've mentioned several times that there is a relationship between truth and fact that is weighed and balanced in our conscious minds? That mind includes the mind of the heart, I need to clarify, not just mere reason alone attempting to tell us what is truth. That latter approach of reason alone is what is thoroughly modern, and a bad interpretation of Positivism. It is a "logical positivism" as opposed to a scientific positivism. What fundamentalism is doing is it poorly coopts that logical positivism into its "Bible studies" in order to find out the facts of what the text says to get to the "truth" of it. And that is what I call an error, and that is what that essay from Conrad Hyers goes after which I linked to earlier.

Facts are important. Yes. But facts do not tell you the meaning of a thing. I think there is a whole world of other factors that go into our truth seeking, far, far, far beyond just merely using the tools of science and reason to analyze the words on a page in the hopes it we will see the truth if we can only, just manage to get to the facts of what it says. That is the error. Again to quote from Umberto Eco whom you admire, “Books are not made to be believed, but to be subjected to inquiry. When we consider a book, we mustn’t ask ourselves what it says but what it means.” You contradict this by saying we must understand what it says to know truth.

As I've said many times before, even if Jesus literally believed in the literal historicity of Adam and Eve, and he may very well have as I don't see a reason he wouldn't have being a man of his culture in that time of human history, that does not mean the meaning he was speaking to does not transcend the facts of their being a literal human couple that did or did not actually exist. The "truth" of Adam and Eve is not dependent on the facts of Adam of Eve. Can you see the difference here or not?

So even if the Biblical writers were factually wrong, it does not mean that they did not speak truths which transcend the facts on the ground! This is the lens I read all of scripture with. I am able to see that truth transcends facts. It does not need to deny facts in order to support and sustain itself. And this is where you will see me also recognize that that very selfsame truth we see in the symbol of Adam and Eve, for one example, also is seen in other symbols used in other cultures. These are "human truths" that are not dependent on the facts being literally factual or not. The stories are simply vehicles to carry that truth to us with. It could be another story, a completely different origin myth and carry the same truth right along with it.

My concern for religious faith which insists that these truths be fused with and inseparable from facts is that that is what is the slippery slope into fact-denial. And when that starts to happen, your faith is at grave risk. At such a point where you can't deny the facts any longer, and you were unable to see the meaning of the symbol apart from the symbol itself, the baby of spirituality gets thrown out right along with the bathwater of mythic-literal beliefs. And that is where many go into things like neo-atheism, busily trying to get the facts right this time (as well they do), in pursuit of finding truth and meaning through finding facts. You are doing exactly what they are doing.

The scriptures are clear that Jesus healed the sick AND ALSO the possessed. Some people who hear voices hear God, some the devil, some need mental wholeness counseling, of course.
But I do not. And yet you have repeatedly insinuated I get my information by hearing voices in my head. That is patently untrue. I do not suffer from a mental illness. Why do you continue to suggest I do?

Now as the Bible writers speaking of both the sick and the possessed, sure yes, they had progressed to the point they recognized things like the common cold or a flu was not the result of demonic attack (at least I think they had), but they did still attribute strange psychological ailments to demons however! We have more knowledge about these things now than they did! It's just that simple. Really.

Now, as far as the purported healings of those who suffered with these mental illnesses (understood as demon possession back in that day and age), there is a great deal we are learning about the mind and body relationships in our modern scientific age, and I am a firm believer in that relationship. What we tell ourselves symbolically can have a very direct impact on our overall health and wellbeing! Absolutely! This is where I see things like guilt and shame have a serious impact on our mental and physical health! If someone through faith believes instead they are loved and forgiven, it will have a very positive healing impact in their lives.

So the truth of these "miracle" stories is faith itself and how it can heal the mind, the heart, the body, and the soul. Jesus said clearly to the woman who touched him, "YOUR faith has made you whole". It is our faith that affects these positivities in our life. I could devote a whole chapter to that. Do you see how I was able to take the truth of the stories and transcend them from the "facts"? If we are to be dependent on the "fact" of demon possession to find truth in the stories, then you're going to run into a wall pretty soon as we discover the causes are in fact not supernatural.

Things like cancer are in part preventable and are caused by lifestyles.
Well, I'd say the lifestyle of living in a modern age with all it's poisons everywhere are the main causes. :) It's really unavoidable as we don't yet know all the actual causes. You could be a monk doing everything right, and still get it. But yes, in part by avoiding stuff like smoking, that's a huge step in prevention.

You may have forgotten the scriptures proscribe healthy eating and avoiding overmuch alcohol, meat, etc. Sounds familiar when we speak of cancer prevention, of course.
Sure, a lot of these dietary laws prescribed by "God" were the result of people recognizing the negative consequences of certain behaviors, both to the individual and the society itself. No real miracle there. That is where these laws like this come from. Some make sense, and some are pretty ridiculous or outdated. You have to take them with a certain degree of skepticism of course. This is where modern science will either validate or invalidate these things. But again, modern science is not perfect, but certainly neither is the Bible in these regards!

I’m having trouble discerning what the “different level” is you refer to here. It sounds subjective and nebulous, and there is much subjectivity in human spirituality, but apparently you have discovered “higher truths” like Jesus did not resurrect, does not judge, and is not consigning the unredeemed to eternal hell.
All truth is subjective ultimately, even that truth itself. It sounds nebulous to you, but to me I see it quite clearly. If I was to try to describe it I'd say it's "transparent", the light shines through it rather than bounces off of it. It's multi-faceted, like light refracted off little jewels of sand the light hits and splinters into many truths. There is this great quote from the mystic poet Rumi I came across a couple weeks ago I think captures this well.

Truth was a mirror in the hands of God
It fell, and broke into pieces
Everybody took a piece of it
And they looked at it and thought they had the truth.

If what I am saying sounds nebulous this is why. All I can do is point and the rest is what we open to in ourselves through that pointing. Even if you have a piece of that mirror, you are only seeing one facet of truth itself. That truth can be understood in many ways, in many pieces of that broken mirror.