• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is a loser?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I'm guessing if Jesus, Buddha, or Saint Francis of Assisi were alive today, they would have no family, no girlfriend, no car, little money, and would probably walk or ride their bicycle everywhere.

By many people standards, they would be losers.

Whose to say that celebrities are any more winners then some lonesome soul that spends all their time meditating in a park or in a church pew.

Many of the saints were dirt poor , had few friends, were laughed at and mocked, and even lived in dugouts or caves, apparently accomplishing nothing. Do such people sound like losers?

Define loser

Spiderman

Veteran Member
What I mean by no family is they would have no wife or children.

If a person has no friends does that mean they are a loser?

Does poverty make a person a loser?

So many wealthy rock stars and celebrities are dying of drug overdoses. So many people look up to them as the real winners. Hmmm...

Samana Johann

Restricted by request
Rich people are often angry when gifted by "poor"

"Indeed, brahmans, you are feeble old men, aged, advanced in years, having come to the last stage of life, 120 years old. And you have done no admirable deeds, no skillful deeds, no deeds that allay your fears. This world is swept away by aging, by illness, by death. With the world thus swept away by aging, illness, & death, any restraint of body, speech, & intellect practiced here will be one's shelter, cave, island, & refuge after death in the world beyond."

It's swept along: life, its next-to-nothing span. For one swept on by aging no shelters exist. Keeping sight of this danger in death, do meritorious deeds that bring bliss. Whoever here is restrained in body, speech, & awareness, who makes merit while he's alive: that will be for his bliss after death.

Samana Johann

Restricted by request
I'm guessing if Jesus, Buddha, or Saint Francis of Assisi were alive today, they would
Nothing to worry that there are no sages in this world, but good to worry why not follow those who are real winners, householder. Could householder give up home and stand?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
we take nothing from this world but the manner of which we dream

we lose everything ….but our dreams

and what if no one wants to share your dream?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
What I mean by no family is they would have no wife or children.

If a person has no friends does that mean they are a loser?

Nobody knows for sure whether or not they really have any friends.

Does poverty make a person a loser?

It depends on how much you paid for it.

So many wealthy rock stars and celebrities are dying of drug overdoses. So many people look up to them as the real winners. Hmmm...

Shows you what people know.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The nice thing about poverty is that it's easy to maintain.
now now now...…

I've been in the housing projects of a midsize city
it sucks

mom used to trade in food stamps for generic corned beef

not sure......maybe that was haggis in a can

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
now now now...…

I've been in the housing projects of a midsize city
it sucks

mom used to trade in food stamps for generic corned beef

not sure......maybe that was haggis in a can

Well that's not too bad . . .

Wait, generic??

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
The nice thing about poverty is that it's easy to maintain.
You're also lawsuit proof. I think there is a legal term for it.

Define loser
I'm an authority on this topic.

It means two different things depending on if you call yourself or someone else a loser.

If you call yourself a loser its about a weakness in yourself that causes you to fail continually. One time an acquaintance in high school told me "I'm just a loser." This was a big fellow somewhat popular who was having some anger issues. He didn't look like a loser, but he couldn't get his act together, and he felt like there was no hope for him.

If you call someone else a loser then its a criticism about their performance or attributes and can even be a compliment in an ironic sense depending. Its automatic rule 1 on RF, but it could conceivably be meant in a friendly way. "That guy is a loser" could mean anything from he's incompetent and dangerous to he's our buddy one of us.

Obviously you don't want to say this about anybody's favorite sports team, especially if you don't know your stats. If you say its a loser team then it had better be one.

Samana Johann

Restricted by request
Wealth is all about appreciating what you have. Poverty is never being satisfied no matter what you have.
That's a loosy approach, some surly ease to give...
Only a fool is content with what he will lose... so it's all about what is worthy to possess, worthy to let go, what is worthy to desire for, on-householder.

Wealth.
Buddha, Dhamma, and Sangha: Khp 6
Seven ~: AN 7.7
"Trading Outer Wealth for Inner Wealth" in Food for Thought (Lee)

To Ugga

Then Ugga, the king's chief minister, approached the Blessed One and, on arrival, having bowed down, sat to one side. As he was sitting there, he said to the Blessed One: "It's amazing, lord, & awesome, how prosperous Migara Rohaneyya is, how great his treasures, how great his resources!"

[The Buddha:] "But what is his property, Ugga? What are his great treasures & great resources?"

"One hundred thousand pieces of gold, lord, to say nothing of his silver."

"That is treasure, Ugga. I don't say that it's not. And that treasure is open to fire, floods, kings, thieves, & hateful heirs. But these seven treasures are not open to fire, flood, kings, thieves, or hateful heirs. Which seven? The treasure of conviction, the treasure of virtue, the treasure of conscience, the treasure of concern, the treasure of listening, the treasure of generosity, the treasure of discernment. These, Ugga, are the seven treasures that are not open to fire, flood, kings, thieves, or hateful heirs.

The treasure of conviction,
the treasure of virtue,
the treasure of conscience & concern.
The treasure of listening,
generosity, & discernment as the seventh treasure.
Whoever, man or woman,
has these treasures,
has great treasure in the world
that no human or divine being can excel.
So conviction & virtue, confidence & Dhamma-vision
should be cultivated by the wise,
remembering the Buddhas' instruction.

Rich?

Samana Johann

Restricted by request
Yet since this gathering is merely one of lower cast, beware of contentment and seek out for Brahmans/Rich!

[Q&A] Are interactions between human (poor) and Gods (rich) good or not so?

If one access as poor person on the high teachings it would be often just the Uposatha of the wolf , the "beggars-renounciation", and as soon as pleasures in the sensual realms arise, he would turn away from his practice, join the pleasures of the Devas.

Only for one knows all realms in this world can let go of their lures. For the fox and the graps there is not much hope and his incapacity-excuses will not find ends.
Not amassed material wealth in the youth, not renouncing in the age, such is indeed a wasted off live!