• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is a Christian and who thinks they have the right to judge who is and who isn't.

We Never Know

No Slack
John Doe, a self-proclaimed christian by what he understands of religion/the bible does something's that self-proclaimed christian Bob Doe doesn't agree with so because of that Bob doesn't see John as a christian and in return John doesn't see Bob as a christian(for not doing what he does)...

Who is correct? Who is the christian?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
John Doe, a self-proclaimed christian by what he understands of religion/the bible does something's that self-proclaimed christian Bob Doe doesn't agree with so because of that Bob doesn't see John as a christian and in return John doesn't see Bob as a christian(for not doing what he does)... Who is correct? Who is the christian?

Their definitions of Christianity would generally be of no interest to a non-Christian, who will use his own. I use the same one that the people telling us that there are 2.3 billion Christians in the world use. Ask them. If they tell you that they are Christians, then they are, even if they embarrass Christianity, even if they don't approve of other people who call themselves Christian.

They're both Christians to me. The theological criteria that they use to define a "true Christian" is really only of interest to them.

If that's difficult to see, imagine your own criteria for defining a Muslim, and then imagine a Sunni and Shia arguing over which was a true Muslim based on theology that non-Muslims generally don't know or care about, calling one another infidels.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
John Doe, a self-proclaimed christian by what he understands of religion/the bible does something's that self-proclaimed christian Bob Doe doesn't agree with so because of that Bob doesn't see John as a christian and in return John doesn't see Bob as a christian(for not doing what he does)...

Perhaps it is those that feel the need to announce their "Christianity" which have doubts about their qualifications.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

I view it as "How much difference can you accept?" Every person seems to have a limit to how much difference they can accept in fellowship. Christian scripture has many ecumenical statements about not judging, about overlooking faults, about considering others better than ourselves and many, many such statements; but we have limits. We simply can't stand some differences. For example I can't stand that everyone wants me to listen to a lot of useless sermonizing. I can't think of anything more annoying, less worthwhile. I've listened to, literally, ten thousand hours of them; and I'm no better for it. Yet I am urged to listen to them. This is a difference I just cannot take.

The prayer of Jesus from John 17 is that all of his disciples will be one just as he and the Father are one. You can think of it as a prayer of creation which creates the church and is working to assemble all of the disciples. People have tried many ways to hurry up this process of unification. It is slow and frustrating, but there is evidence of progress.

RestlessSoul

I’m not sure if I believe in the resurrection, so technically that probably rules me out. On the other hand, I’ve been baptised and confirmed and I’m pretty sure those can’t be rescinded. So who knows? It’s between me and God really, no one else gets to make the call…

I love these lines from the song Walking in Memphis;

“She said
Tell me are you a Christian child,
And I said Ma’am I am tonight”

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
There are many Christians who are “not the best Christians” you’ve ever seen. That’s kind of the point.

If people have become loyal to their Christian God and are serious about trying to become better people than they were before they found Christ... as flawed as anyone might be, that’s Christian enough for me. Can Christians become misguided? Yes. Can Christians sometimes give in to the darker sides of human nature? Yes. Can certain Christians maybe embrace their religion in a way that I really do not approve of? Yes, but all these things are irrelevant.

While I do expect some measure of allegiance to their religious culture, if they have embraced Christianity to try and become better people than they were, and openly worship the Abrahamic God, I see no reason not to consider them Christian. I might not always agree with their perspectives on certain issues but I have massive respect for their religion and appreciation for what Christians have done to the world around me.

Last edited:

Jeremiah Ames

I cannot determine who is the Christian. And I will not tell someone “what” they are.

But I can perceive clues from their actions and words.

Once a person judges another person, it appears that the judge may not be a true Christian, but alas, we know not what is in the heart of another.

It seems like society would run more smoothly, if everyone minded their own business a lot more.

The only reason to mind someone else’s business, would be to find out what they need and provide help if possible.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you

I have been told that I’m not Christian enough, but I’ve also been told that I’m more Christian than I think.

I don’t really mind how Christian other people think that I am. I live by the ideal of Christ as told in the Gospels. I fail to live up to this ideal all the time, but every day I still try to.
Christ is what matters to me; the rest (within the practice of Christianity), to me, is mainly decor.

Humbly
Hermit

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The basic teaching of Jesus is really quite simple, namely the love of God and the love of ones neighbor (everyone). All the rest deals with elaborations on this and/or the applications of this.

So, the question to me is, does one do their best to do the simplicity above, realizing that it's not always simple to live the "law of love", thus the "narrow gate".

I think Bible is correct, it tells Christian means a disciple of Jesus and disciple of Jesus is a person who remains in the words of Jesus.

…in Antioch that the disciples were first called Christians.
Acts 11:26

Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, "If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

a christian is more often than not, a person by name and not so much christ. christ is something that can be understood from ezekiel 9:4. one that carries as an impression of the mind and knows self by that name of god.

a whole being consecrated to love

revelation 14:1

revelation 22:4

love changes things. in the twinkling of an eye, it can leave one dumb founded.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The basic teaching of Jesus is really quite simple, namely the love of God and the love of ones neighbor (everyone). All the rest deals with elaborations on this and/or the applications of this.

So, the question to me is, does one do their best to do the simplicity above, realizing that it's not always simple to live the "law of love", thus the "narrow gate".

That, to me, defines a "follower of the Christ". Whether or not such a person is a "Christian" turns into a matter of theology such as belief in the Nicene Creed or similar doctrinal statements.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Agree with @Estro Felino. But, We Never Know, why is the subject of importance other than a conversation piece?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Christians believe in one of the many diverse conflicting versions based on the different versions of the Bible and/or other related scripture they hold sacred, and no,they do not necessarily have to agree nor do they have to accept each other as Christians.

Considering the fallible nature of being human no one is likely correct.

Last edited:

74x12

God decides.

We Never Know

No Slack

I see posts saying god decides.

If that is true why do christians on here belittle each other about their own different beliefs(whats right/wrong) and tell athiest's they are going to hell?

Aren't those for god to decide too?