• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if we accepted each others Religion?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Are you talking about actual acceptance of other religions, or Baha'i-style "accept only the aspects of the other religions that agree with my own" acceptance?
No. What I’m saying are the spiritual things like virtues which we can all accept. There’s no need to join any other religion at all.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
I do accept other religions. However, I have no desire to participate in the practices, rituals, worship, etc. of these religions, because I see nothing productive coming of it.

While I understand the need for community, I'm not sure why worship or meditation would have to be an interfaith activity, but, if you feel the need, I'm going to extend to you an open invitation to come to my ashram and meditate with me before Nataraja and my lingam. I meditate daily at 4:10am and 7:30pm EST for 30 minutes. Don't be late!
The spiritual teachings such as the virtues are common to all religions and they are the things which we have in common.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
While I understand the need for community, I'm not sure why worship or meditation would have to be an interfaith activity
I understand the need for community, too, but I like opera, classical music and great stage plays, and I don't expect those who prefer rock and rap concerts to join me, nor will I be joining them, in our cultural pursuits. Communities do not need to be homogenous. In fact, I think diversity adds strength.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Same old same old.
1) If you're only referring to major religions, then Baha'i doesn't count, which puts you outside of this discussion.
2) As you've been told repeatedly, many religions, including mine, have no founder.
3) I have yet to host a Baha'i at my temple, and there is no need for that. The poor chap would feel so uncomfortable.
4) You simply do not accept all the major religions. If so, then Baha'i temples ought to have statues of Christ, Buddha, several Hindu deities, etc. As another poster said, what you do accept is the Baha'i interpretation of these religions, and usually that's entirely false.
5) And finally, atheists and members of smaller religions don't count.
This is getting old. Very very old.

How's the weather in Perth? Current temperature here is -36C. I post this information in some crazy attempt to get you to see that there is another world outside Baha'i here, both in real life, and on this forum. There are many interesting topics that people post about, and a lot of them are actually fun. But with some Baha'i every single thing has to be about the Baha'i faith. It's sad, in a way. Is it the only thing you know?
The Baha’i temples do have the symbols of all the major religions in their architecture. Including Hinduism. We accept all the religions as true just not the manmade dogmas. Here I’m speaking about relationships between religions not atheists. It’s not about fun for me when our world is falling apart with wars breaking out everywhere. It’s about us putting aside our prejudices and being welcoming and kind to each other.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The Baha’i temples do have the symbols of all the major religions in their architecture. Including Hinduism. We accept all the religions as true just not the manmade dogmas. Here I’m speaking about relationships between religions not atheists. It’s not about fun for me when our world is falling apart with wars breaking out everywhere. It’s about us putting aside our prejudices and being welcoming and kind to each other.
That is very, very deeply self-defeating.

Not least because of the Abrahamic theism-based premises.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Fine by me. But I expect that many, starting with the Abrahamists, will take issue.

Or, perhaps most likely, we will find out that there isn't a whole lot that we can all accept.
That seems most likely to me. After all, religion is that to which one binds oneself, from the Latin religare. It's very hard to say that you accept the beliefs of others where they contradict those things that you believe.

I consider for how long the mainstream Christian denominations have been working towards ecumenism, and how little real progress has been made. Sure, there's a World Council of Churches, but the Catholic Church participates only as an observer, not a full member. It was in 1920, more than 100 years ago, that the Ecumenical Patriarch of the Eastern Orthodox Church, Germanus V of Constantinople, wrote a letter "addressed 'To all the Churches of Christ, wherever they may be', urging closer co-operation among separated Christians, and suggesting a 'League of Churches', parallel to the newly founded League of Nations". And tghis is as far as they've got, in all that time?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
More than that, @Evangelicalhumanist : what price was paid for that ecumenism?

Many people seem to believe that agreeing on "the existence of (Christian) God" is an achievement.

It isn't. It just tries very hard to believe that it is.

That is actually considerably worse than no achievement whatsoever; it is an unwelcome distraction from attempts at dealing with the reality of facts.

And a dangerous distraction at that. Far, far too often people rely on that certainty to justify actions and goals that they would otherwise recognize for the immoral, destructive things that they truly are.

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I am sorry. Part of accepting other religions is that You do not get to decide what is true and what is man made. If you are going to be serious about acceptance, then the acceptance has to be based on actual open minded meeting of minds and hearts on the principles that are considered critical to both faiths....and not an apriori declaration that this is what I accept and these we do not accept because my founding books and leaders say so.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
That is very, very deeply self-defeating.

Not least because of the Abrahamic theism-based premises.
I don’t believe so. Many people who are tired of antagonism between religions towards welcome very much this tolerance towards other religions. Because of the Baha’i teachings I believe in Buddha and regularly read the Dhammapada. I find it is spiritually liberating to accept Buddha. Why should I be prejudiced or keep aloof just because Buddhism doesn’t mention God? There is truth in all religions I have found and I find having a view of oneness about all of them enriches my life. After all why should I deprive myself of the wisdom of Buddha or Krishna or Muhammad or any of These great souls. They all teach truth so I accept Them all.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I don’t believe so. Many people who are tired of antagonism between religions towards welcome very much this tolerance towards other religions. Because of the Baha’i teachings I believe in Buddha and regularly read the Dhammapada. I find it is spiritually liberating to accept Buddha. Why should I be prejudiced or keep aloof just because Buddhism doesn’t mention God? There is truth in all religions I have found and I find having a view of oneness about all of them enriches my life. After all why should I deprive myself of the wisdom of Buddha or Krishna or Muhammad or any of These great souls. They all teach truth so I accept Them all.

The point is that you can't in good faith attempt to extent dogmatic theism to "all religions" without serious distortion, if not all-out oppression.

As history so painfully and so clearly shows.

The flaw, I am sorry to have to say, is in the Abrahamic conceptions of gods and of their roles.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
I am sorry. Part of accepting other religions is that You do not get to decide what is true and what is man made. If you are going to be serious about acceptance, then the acceptance has to be based on actual open minded meeting of minds and hearts on the principles that are considered critical to both faiths....and not an apriori declaration that this is what I accept and these we do not accept because my founding books and leaders say so.
True but if Buddha teaches to defeat hate with love and Christ teaches to love one another Who am I going to disagree with? Go through all the scriptures and you will find similar like in the Quran it says to return good for evil. Zoroaster says ‘good thoughts, good words, good deeds’. Baha’u’llah says we are all ‘the fruits of one tree and the leaves of one branch’. With regard to the spiritual virtues all the religions complement one other. Which of these truths am I supposed to deny? Only those who haven’t studied these religions in depth see the differences but those who have see the same thread throughout all of them.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
That seems most likely to me. After all, religion is that to which one binds oneself, from the Latin religare. It's very hard to say that you accept the beliefs of others where they contradict those things that you believe.

I consider for how long the mainstream Christian denominations have been working towards ecumenism, and how little real progress has been made. Sure, there's a World Council of Churches, but the Catholic Church participates only as an observer, not a full member. It was in 1920, more than 100 years ago, that the Ecumenical Patriarch of the Eastern Orthodox Church, Germanus V of Constantinople, wrote a letter "addressed 'To all the Churches of Christ, wherever they may be', urging closer co-operation among separated Christians, and suggesting a 'League of Churches', parallel to the newly founded League of Nations". And tghis is as far as they've got, in all that time?
Well, hold your horses, I would say there has been a lot of good progress, for example:

- The Anglicans and Catholics, where I am, have a very close relationship and work with each other exceptionally well. The priests all know each other and invite each other to participate.

- The laity are emphasising understanding and acceptance. The local Anglican Cathedral has icons in and is very hospitable to all denominations.

- The books that are being produced by formerly partisan groups are much, much more ecumenical; SPCK, for instance, started as an Anglican Mission but now caters to every denomination, including and perhaps especially Roman Catholics. In line with this, there are more ecumenical Bibles being produced and read.

- Things like the Anglican Ordinariate are becoming common.

- The Anglican Church is very accepting of things that, just a few decades ago, would have been sniffed at, such as praying the Rosary.

- The Catholic, Anglican and Scottish Churches recently went together to their communions in Africa to oppose the proposed legislation to ban homosexuality.

- The Roman Catholic Church has allowed the Eastern Catholic Church to start using its own forms again, including dropping the Filioque and other such practices. This is catching on in the West, too.

- The Archbishop of Canterbury recently said 'Anglicans recognise the Pope as the father of the Church in the West'.

The Eastern Orthodox Churches, I am afraid to say, have been an outlier here, and cannot even call a council of themselves, let alone have ecumenical dialogue with others. The two groups doing the best at this are the Roman Catholics and Anglicans, with the most dialogues; second are the Lutherans, iirc.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
True but if Buddha teaches to defeat hate with love and Christ teaches to love one another Who am I going to disagree with? Go through all the scriptures and you will find similar like in the Quran it says to return good for evil. Zoroaster says ‘good thoughts, good words, good deeds’. Baha’u’llah says we are all ‘the fruits of one tree and the leaves of one branch’. With regard to the spiritual virtues all the religions complement one other. Which of these truths am I supposed to deny? Only those who haven’t studied these religions in depth see the differences but those who have see the same thread throughout all of them.
If you are serious about that goal, you will end up demanding that the Abrahamics deemphasize god-belief to an extent that puts their very continued existence in doubt.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
The point is that you can't in good faith attempt to extent dogmatic theism to "all religions" without serious distortion, if not all-out oppression.

As history so painfully and so clearly shows.

The flaw, I am sorry to have to say, is in the Abrahamic conceptions of gods and of their roles.
I’m saying I have no problem accepting the spiritual teachings of Buddha. The Dhammapada and things like the Noble Eightfold Path, the Five Precepts are so insightful. These teachings are for all humanity and we can all benefit from them.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Firstly I am only referring to the major religions.

Why? From the outset, this premise already negates the notion that everyone can just accept other religions. The above condition has already excluded Neopaganism, Jainism, Sikhism, and many other less-common religions from the conversation. It also seems to me a self-defeating one, because the Baha'i Faith only has around five to eight million followers worldwide. By what metric is it a "major religion" in light of that? Should it also be excluded from the proposal for universal acceptance?

Next I’m speaking of accepting the Founder and the spiritual teachings such as virtues and prayer etc not the laws. The administration of each faith would remain.

So Christians would accept Buddha and Muhammad, Buddhists would accept Christ and Baha’is etc

Some religious claims are mutually exclusive, so this would never work in practice. The Qur'an teaches that Jesus was a prophet and a human, while Christianity teaches that he's God. Buddhism doesn't speak of a personal god like Islam, the Baha'i Faith, and Christianity do, and the Abrahamic conceptions of virtue and sin are different in some key ways from their dharmic counterparts.

People believe in different religions for a reason. Not everyone finds the same beliefs and teachings convincing, and I don't see why one shouldn't accept this diversity instead of expecting everyone to accept each other's beliefs as accurate or beneficial to one's own life and spiritual growth.

And instead of segregating ourselves in our own churches, pagodas, temples and synagogues, we would visit each others places of worship to meditate and pray together. We Baha’is already do this and read from all the sacred scriptures of each religion in all our services.

In this way we can celebrate our diversity. I think in many places this is happening and also interfaith breaking down barriers. I myself I accept all the major religions and their Founders and Holy Books and find this enriches me greatly. So I read something Christ or Buddha said and it’s a great experience. Christ says to love and Buddha says to fight hate with love and that the greatest of all conquerors is he who conquers his own self. So much wisdom from all these faiths. Why should we deprive ourselves.? If you have any favourite verses please feel most welcome to share them.

I think the mutual exclusivity of many religious and non-religious beliefs renders this both impossible and unnecessary. I would never expect a Christian to worship at a Buddhist temple, nor would I expect a Muslim to worship at a church where crucifixes and Christian iconography that directly contradicted Islamic teachings were on display. I also wouldn't find it reasonable to expect an atheist to partake in theistic worship and claim to accept its premises as true; such a claim would simply be deceptive and contrived.

I find it much more realistic to embrace coexistence and diversity instead of trying to fit square pegs through round holes by assuming that everyone could accept others' beliefs or find them convincing.

Last edited:

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Same old same old.
1) If you're only referring to major religions, then Baha'i doesn't count, which puts you outside of this discussion.
2) As you've been told repeatedly, many religions, including mine, have no founder.
3) I have yet to host a Baha'i at my temple, and there is no need for that. The poor chap would feel so uncomfortable.
4) You simply do not accept all the major religions. If so, then Baha'i temples ought to have statues of Christ, Buddha, several Hindu deities, etc. As another poster said, what you do accept is the Baha'i interpretation of these religions, and usually that's entirely false.
5) And finally, atheists and members of smaller religions don't count.
This is getting old. Very very old.

How's the weather in Perth? Current temperature here is -36C. I post this information in some crazy attempt to get you to see that there is another world outside Baha'i here, both in real life, and on this forum. There are many interesting topics that people post about, and a lot of them are actually fun. But with some Baha'i every single thing has to be about the Baha'i faith. It's sad, in a way. Is it the only thing you know?
Maybe if you feel unhappy with my posts then maybe it’s best if you just put an ‘ignore’ on my profile. That way you won’t even see my posts.