• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if the religious right really did hate Gays and Lesbians?

A

angellous_evangellous

JamesThePersian said:
I think that depends what you mean. My friends do not seem to think that my not supporting gay marriage in an Orthodox Church is bad. I do support equal rights for gays in civil partnerships and I don't care if some other religion marries them (though to me that would not be marriage). So, do I hate my friends in your estimation?

James

My argument was based on civil rights.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Hema said:
The Gay/Lesbian group that shouted profanities is just as fault. Why do unto others what they don't want to have done to themselves?

Sadly, you are right; what we are talking about here is intollerance, more than anything else. We can't help but have views and opinions; however, it takes maturity to understand that as long as no one hurts you, why should it bother you what they do ?

Sure, I was opinionated when I was younger - and there are things that others do that I wouldn't do, but live and let live is the way I look at things now.

After all, Christ taught us to love - not to hate. Hate is a cancer..........

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
FatMan said:
Some people want a different classification given. They aren't all saying that gay people can't have unions.

I have no dog in this fight - I'm for gay marriage. I was just pointing out that I thought the post saying those against gay marriage are doing it out of hate and spite was a bit exaggerated.
And the reason for the different classification is because they want to exclude same sex couples from getting "married."
The whole point is that Yes they do, in fact, want same sex couples excluded.

And I disagree with the theory that it is not being done out of hate and or spite.
It is being done in spite of the fact that there is no legitimate legal reason to ban same sex marriage.

Flappycat

angellous_evangellous said:
I know. Sometimes I can be such a schmuck. Anyway, I just want to stress once again that our campaign for marriage rights is cheifly part of a broader resistance against the very idea that society has a right to make us outsiders. If it weren't for the broader issue behind it, the marriage issue wouldn't be quite as important. If we allow this issue to slip, the Religious Right might become emboldened and attempt to strip us of all of the rights we have as it is. That's the big tamale.

robtex

Veteran Member
Not supporting gay marriage is hating homosexuals.
concur with this and want to add to it. For you christians you, as part of your christian culture interact on a societal level with action you make. rick with your new position in life as a religious leader now have a political stance on every action you make wheather you like it or not.

Stating this the issue of "should homosexuality exist' is such a strong and central issue in the chrisitan community that NO CHRISITAN at this point is afforded the luxary of a netural position, espicially a religious leader in that faith.

You are either against or for homosexuals existing. Nothing inbetween. If you take a postion of passivley not addressing the issue but accpeting the status qou on the issue taken by christians than by default to the current direction of christianty you are against homosexulaity existing.

If you will not marry gays it isn't because they won't be legally recognized. UU's marry gays all the time and it isn't recognized by the state.

whatever you or any of the other religious leaders (rf has alot of religious leaders on here), make realize if you are in a religion that by and large is anti-homosexual if you avoid the issue you default by association of your organization to their status qou, which in the case of christianty is anti-homosexual.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Not supporting gay marriage is hating homosexuals.

Somebody pinch me, this can't be for real. :areyoucra

I feel absolutely no hate toward any homosexual. If I did, it wouldn't be because they are gay. I'm blown away that some people on this thread have agreed to this. Maybe I see the word "hate" much differently.

cturne

servant of God
Flappycat said:
It goes beyond mere marriage rights, Angellous. It's the denigration and exclusion that these anti-gay laws enforce. These amendments against gay marriage are the fulfillment of hatred and spite. It is like putting up a billboard over an entire state saying "Go away, you dirty faggots." They don't have any other meaning or purpose. Our fight for marriage rights is a fight against politicians who use hatred and paranoia to get their way. We must ride such politicians into the ground and render them afraid to show their faces. We must make it clear that these are evil men who would gladly persecute innocent people for power and wealth. There can be no compromise. This is a war, and there can only be one victor.

Gee, if that statement isn't full of hatred and spite then I don't know what is.

FatMan

Victor said:

I feel absolutely no hate toward any homosexual. If I did, it wouldn't be because they are gay. I'm blown away that some people on this thread have agreed to this. Maybe I see the word "hate" much differently.

I agree completely. The term "hate" is being misused and exaggerated on this thread. Some people have concerns regarding gay marriage that have nothing to do with a dislike towards gays.

Polarizing the situation by sensationalizing it will do no good. People can have passionate arguments without misusing terms.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Victor said:
I'm blown away that some people on this thread have agreed to this. Maybe I see the word "hate" much differently.
FatMan said:
I agree completely. The term "hate" is being misused and exaggerated on this thread. Some people have concerns regarding gay marriage that have nothing to do with a dislike towards gays.

Polarizing the situation by sensationalizing it will do no good. People can have passionate arguments without misusing terms.
Hello guys, what am I chopped liver?

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=772343#poststop

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I simply can't understand "Well, I don't hate you, but I don't want you to have the same rights that straight couples have. No harsh feelings!"

Before someone brings up civil unions, they do not grant the same rights as marriage.

love

tri-polar optimist
There is a difference between prejudice and hate, and indifference. There is also the difference between what one finds acceptable for onesself, another may find at total conflict with what they feel for themselves. I have known many gay people in my life and have found them to be some of the most "centered" (for lack of a better word) people I have known. I even had a gay roommate for a while (this was in the early 80's and not alot of people had come out of the closet but everybody called him "Gay Ray").We had a good understanding about each others differences. It is not something I feel comfortable around and I think I have as much right to voice my opinion as anyone else.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
love said:
There is a difference between prejudice and hate, and indifference. There is also the difference between what one finds acceptable for onesself, another may find at total conflict with what they feel for themselves. I have known many gay people in my life and have found them to be some of the most "centered" (for lack of a better word) people I have known. I even had a gay roommate for a while (this was in the early 80's and not alot of people had come out of the closet but everybody called him "Gay Ray").We had a good understanding about each others differences. It is not something I feel comfortable around and I think I have as much right to voice my opinion as anyone else.
Your right to voice your opinion ends at my right to not have oppressive legislation enacted against me and my girlfriend.

McBell

FatMan said:
Is it?
I am not so sure that the term 'hate' is being misused.
I suspect that there are those who simply do not like the term 'hate' and would rather not see it being used.

FatMan said:
Agreed.
But on the same token, avoiding a term simply because you do not like it is just as bad.

McBell

Jaymes said:
Your right to voice your opinion ends at my right to not have oppressive legislation enacted against me and my girlfriend.
HUH?
Would you please explain how it is that she loses her right to voice her opinion simply because there is legislation that agrees with it?

gnomon

Jaymes said:
That makes no sense at all.

edit: I understand what you are trying to say I just don't think the statement as is really doesn't make any sense.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Mestemia said:
Is it?
I am not so sure that the term 'hate' is being misused.
I suspect that there are those who simply do not like the term 'hate' and would rather not see it being used.

I don't like it because it's so far off from how I am in real life. I'm not one to shy away from words, simply because I don't like it.