• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if the End Times are not Averted?

allfoak

Alchemist
I am not thinking that Jesus is going to part the clouds and land on the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem or anything but if i am honest about the condition of things in the world right now i would say that we are experiencing some unprecedented times.
I am of the perspective that we are experiencing the end of a cycle and the beginning of another.
It is the only thing i do not have to forsake my faculty of reason to accept.

So hear is the question?
Are all of the people that are preaching and preparing for the end of the world crazy?
Is there good reason to be concerned?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
So hear is the question?
Are all of the people that are preaching and preparing for the end of the world crazy?

Would they meet the formal diagnosis for a mental disorder like schizophrenia or bipolar affective disorder? Most wouldn't, some would.

I believe the ones who are missing the mark and sounding crazy, are those providing literal interpretations from their religions. An obvious example are some Christians when they refer to events in the book of revelation and apocalyptic scripture as being literally true. That's where Christ returning on the clouds comes from.

Yes, but the world is not going to end literally.

Last edited:

buddhist

I am not thinking that Jesus is going to part the clouds and land on the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem or anything but if i am honest about the condition of things in the world right now i would say that we are experiencing some unprecedented times.
I am of the perspective that we are experiencing the end of a cycle and the beginning of another.

So hear is the question?

They are strongly attached to this physical world, unfortunately.

DeviChaaya

Jai Ambe Gauri
Premium Member
Every generation since the inception of the Bible and the Koran has believed they were in the end times. It's been over 2000 years and the end times still haven't happened because none of it is literal and if it were meant to be literal than it's sadly incorrect.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
The world would literally end in about a billion year's time when the sun turn into a red giant. All water will evaporate by heat leaving no life forms here. I thought it was some 5 billion years, but that is not correct. It starts earlier. :(

No doubt true, but it was the current era of transition that I referred to, not the very distant future.

ajay0

So hear is the question?

We are indeed living in quite unnatural times, with global warming creating abnormal weather patterns throughout the world, and the heat increasing to record levels with each passing year. This is quite inauspicious and ominous in itself.

A billionaire rogue called Trump has been elected as the American president, ironically by the southern american christians, disregarding the warnings of Christ with respect to the rich, and loving neighbors ( mexicans ).

Around 70 % of the world's animals and birds are going to be extinct within three years in 2020, as per experts as reported in this article.

So I won't be surprise if a huge reaction from nature comes up at this point of time, to stabilize the natural equilibrium, with human beings getting the worst of it.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

So hear is the question?

Keep your reason. It's your best friend.

Every religion is like a tree that brings forth fruit for its age. When this tree withers and no longer brings forth fruit, the Gardener plants another tree for us to bring forth fruits for our age. No tree lasts forever in this temporary world. The same with religion.

Today the Gardener has planted a new tree to bring forth the fruits of unity of religion and the unity of mankind and when this age ends maybe interplanetary unity.

The problem today is we have billions of people clinging to withered trees that bring forth no fruit and refuse to eat of the fruit of the new tree because they worship the old tree.

We must learn to be able to be detached and move on and not cling to outward forms as this is preventing humanity's progress.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
There are matching global eschatologies, that isn't just plagiarized, Hindu, American Indian, Biblical, Zoroastrianism, Islam, etc all have prophecies of a fire coming...

As we go into the specifics, this isn't only a fire; yet appears to be a Divine being coming to this plain of existence, and due to its presence, us being washed in a holy radiance, that will remove some due to all the iniquity.
The people going around preaching end of the world, hiding under the ground, are often crazy; we can't hide from God, and it is already here in many ways, it is just the veil of illusion (Maya), that keeps us in our ignorance.

Plus who said anything about end of the world, it is a new beginning in all religious eschatology. :innocent:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So hear is the question?
Religious predictions, based solely on faith, never seem to materialize, and I see no reason to expect this to change.
There are plenty of evidence-based predictions of downturns and upcoming catastrophes -- just google political or economic cycles, or global warming.

Yes, there are good reasons to be concerned about impending catastrophes, but religious predictions aren't among them.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
All we have to do is look at Jesus' words about his return....

Matthew 24:36-39:
"36 “Now concerning that day and hour no one knows—neither the angels in heaven, nor the Son —except the Father only. 37 As the days of Noah were, so the coming of the Son of Man will be. 38 For in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day Noah boarded the ark. 39 They didn’t know until the flood came and swept them all away. So this is the way the coming of the Son of Man will be"

If we cannot clearly see the same level of wickedness in today's world as there was in Noah's time, then we are blind.

The end will come....there is no way to avoid it......nowhere to run.....nowhere to hide....there is no bunker strong enough to withstand the power of God.

The only way to survive is to bring our lives into harmony with God's requirements and follow Christ's teachings to the letter.

When Jesus comes to judge, he will not accept in his kingdom those who practice what God condemns....even if they acknowledge him as their "Lord". (Matthew 7:21-23)

DeviChaaya

Jai Ambe Gauri
Premium Member
There are matching global eschatologies, that isn't just plagiarized, Hindu, American Indian, Biblical, Zoroastrianism, Islam, etc all have prophecies of a fire coming...

News to this practising Hindu. Nothing in the school I belong to says there is a fire coming. If anything my school is very positive.

As we go into the specifics, this isn't only a fire; yet appears to be a Divine being coming to this plain of existence, and due to its presence, us being washed in a holy radiance, that will remove some due to all the iniquity.

Ah. I see where you are coming from. Sorry, while Vaishnavism is incredibly popular it is not the only philosophy within the umbrella of Dharma. Not even all Vaishnavas sincerely believe in Kalki coming back and if they do its not for thousands of years yet. This is the Kali age, full of darkness but it is also the age of hope as attaining liberation is incredibly easy.

The people going around preaching end of the world, hiding under the ground, are often crazy; we can't hide from God, and it is already here in many ways, it is just the veil of illusion (Maya), that keeps us in our ignorance.

Plus who said anything about end of the world, it is a new beginning in all religious eschatology. :innocent:

Hate to tell you but Muslims literally believe it will be the end of the world and any serious Christian who has spent time studying also believes it will be some kind of literal end of the world.

wizanda

Premium Member
Nothing in the school I belong to says there is a fire coming.
Mahapralaya will appear as a fire to many... Teachers say one thing; texts say another globally.
attaining liberation is incredibly easy.
Find that surprising, as personally find lots of 'Self', and 'I Am' consciousness ideas; which is the exact opposite of what is required to being One with Brahman.
not for thousands of years yet.
Other than bad maths, where someone has tried to calculate the date of the Yugas, there isn't evidence for this globally...

Instead we can show many things stated in the Kalki Purana, that have already taken affect:
1:28 In Kah-yuga, a person with a lot of money will naturally be respected as a great soul. If a twice-born person earns his livelihood by lending money on interest, he will be considered a pillar of society. The sannydsls of Kah-yuga will be attached to home and property, and householders will become devoid of all power of discrimination. In Kah-yuga, people will blaspheme a spiritual master or other elderly person without hesitation. Indeed, people in general will simply become hypocrites, liars, and cheaters

The bit about bankers who charge interest/usury being respected, is clearly our time.

2:28 The four exalted brahmanas offered their obeisances unto Lord Visnu, who had assumed the form of a human being. They very well understood that Lord Kalki had appeared to rid the earth of all those who had become degraded to the level of sinful demons.

3:26 By the influence of this horse and parrot, the people of the world will know You as a learned scholar of all scriptures who is a master of the art of releasing arrows, and thus the conqueror of all.
People don't want someone coming from the angle of all scriptures; they separate Hinduism which comes from one large body of water, into a puddle, and even get angry when you're trying to make streams between puddles to make a lake. :innocent:
Muslims literally believe it will be the end of the world
Most are not Muslims, they've refused to accept texts globally as the Quran stated; it is a reiteration of the global eschatology, thus most are confused....

To define a few points, the garden referenced in the Quran isn't speaking about Heaven, it is referring to the garden of Eden being here, and the new world to come (Satya Yuga).
14:48 On the day when the earth shall be changed into a different earth, and the heavens (as well), and they shall come forth before Allah, the One, the Supreme.

39:69 And the earth will shine with the light of its Lord, and the record [of deeds] will be placed, and the prophets and the witnesses will be brought, and it will be judged between them in truth, and they will not be wronged.

21:104 The Day when We will fold the heaven like the folding of a [written] sheet for the records. As We began the first creation, We will repeat it. [That is] a promise binding upon Us. Indeed, We will do it.
Christian who has spent time studying also believes it will be some kind of literal end of the world.
The majority of Christians believe in the Messianic age; that there will be a destruction of the current world, and then a new world to come (Satya Yuga). ;)

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Hate to tell you but Muslims literally believe it will be the end of the world and any serious Christian who has spent time studying also believes it will be some kind of literal end of the world.
It has been a common belief for a couple of centuries among several kinds of Christians, but study can take Christians in other directions. There are tribulationists, pre-tribulationists, millennialists, and there are some that are none of the above. These are not philosophical perspectives but more like intense beliefs associated with reading things a certain way. Philosophical Christianity is unlikely to talk about the end of the planet but may have a concept of epochs. I have also heard somewhere (can't remember just now) that some people feel Christian writers refer to ancient zodiacal ages in their writings. There was an ancient belief among some Egyptians and Greeks that there were twelve repeating epochs each of which lasted for long periods of time, so some people feel that Christian writers refer to these when they use the term 'Epoch'. There are numerous trails that 'Study' takes people.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

A material fire burns away physical things but a spiritual fire can burn away the veils of self and ego that hinder us from seeing the truth of the oneness of all life.

I would like to think that a spiritual fire is slowly enveloping the world which will open humanity's eyes to the beauty in all races, religions, nations and cultures having a unifying effect on all life on this planet.

Last edited:

DeviChaaya

Jai Ambe Gauri
Premium Member
Mahapralaya will appear as a fire to many... Teachers say one thing; texts say another globally.

Find that surprising, as personally find lots of 'Self', and 'I Am' consciousness ideas; which is the exact opposite of what is required to being One with Brahman.

Other than bad maths, where someone has tried to calculate the date of the Yugas, there isn't evidence for this globally...

Instead we can show many things stated in the Kalki Purana, that have already taken affect:

People don't want someone coming from the angle of all scriptures; they separate Hinduism which comes from one large body of water, into a puddle, and even get angry when you're trying to make streams between puddles to make a lake. :innocent:

Most are not Muslims, they've refused to accept texts globally as the Quran stated; it is a reiteration of the global eschatology, thus most are confused....

To define a few points, the garden referenced in the Quran isn't speaking about Heaven, it is referring to the garden of Eden being here, and the new world to come (Satya Yuga).

The majority of Christians believe in the Messianic age; that there will be a destruction of the current world, and then a new world to come (Satya Yuga). ;)

I see the problem here. It's no use arguing with you. As someone who is not a Vaishnava and has never been the idea of dasavataras is just not something I'm concerned with, or believe in. I'm out.

Milton Platt

So hear is the question?

The ones who have been preparing for the last 2,000 years have all been wrong......so what are the odds these are right?

ronandcarol

Premium Member
What if the End Times are not Averted?
The only 'end times' that anyone should be concerned with is their own 'end times'. Jesus will come again just like He said He would. He will arrive on the clouds with His Angels for all eyes to see. BUT, every person that dies before He returns, is having their 'end times'! When you die, it is over, you do not have a chance to decide to follow Jesus after that. You go to the grave with the beliefs that you have at you 'end times' of your life. So before you suddenly die of a heart attack you still have a chance to accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior and will meet Him in the clouds when He returns.

ronandcarol

arthra

Baha'i
.... I am of the perspective that we are experiencing the end of a cycle and the beginning of another. It is the only thing i do not have to forsake my faculty of reason to accept.
So hear is the question? Are all of the people that are preaching and preparing for the end of the world crazy?
Well I believe we have entered a new cycle at least since the nineteenth century... Consider the advances in science and globalization of our civilization which is a good thing in my view ! We are far more united as a planet than we were say early in the twentieth century! We have a global organization the United Nations...with an International Court of Arbitration which was recommended by Baha'u'llah around 1867. Yes there needs to be improvement but we are much further along than we've been in the past.

wizanda

Premium Member
It's no use arguing with you.
Because I don't argue; I'm just trying to relay the information presented.
I see the problem here.
Good, maybe you can explain it to me?
As someone who is not a Vaishnava and has never been the idea of dasavataras is just not something I'm concerned with, or believe in.
I've got no constraints of a certain religious doctrine, and though the Kalki Purana makes the character Kalki as the final Avatar of Vishnu, personally think it is also the rest as well. :innocent: