• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if public schools were taught by Conservatives?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Would a well rounded education include firearms safety and handling?

The public do not have Firearms in the UK.

However I was taught to shoot in school.
as was my grand son last term.
It is done in the combined cadet force Programme Run by the defence ministry.

We are also taught that firearms are not and should not be legal to own.

Smoke

Done here.
What if a Liberal family had their children come home from school and say their parents needed to take more responsibility for themselves?

What if schools had assemblies that taught moral values, or better yet, gun safety?

What if all the teachers were conservative and was instilling their conservative values in children who had Liberal parents?
I have no problem with teaching children that people should take more responsibility for themselves, and no problem with teaching them moral values and gun safety. That's all good. Unfortunately, the only one of those things a conservative might be qualified to teach is gun safety.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
What if a Liberal family had their children come home from school and say their parents needed to take more responsibility for themselves?

I wouldn't support teachers teaching children that liberal families do not take responsibility for themselves because there are many liberals who believe that personal responsbility is important...

I don't think it's so terrible to encourage kids to act responsibly in all arenas of their life.

What if schools had assemblies that taught moral values, or better yet, gun safety?

This is what church is for us.

What if all the teachers were conservative and was instilling their conservative values in children who had Liberal parents?

I believe there are universal concepts that most parents can agree on. I think morality can be incorporated into studies without a specific religious focus. I guess it depends on how one defines conservative values vs. liberal values. Moral discussions should first and foremost come from home.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
I think it's a false assumption that a skewed majority of public school teachers are liberals. Just like the idea everyone who join enlists the military is conservative.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I think it's a false assumption that a skewed majority of public school teachers are liberals. Just like the idea everyone who join enlists the military is conservative.

You can talk about exceptions all you like, but the majority of military personnel is conservative and the majority of our educators are Liberal.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Public schools are no place for espousing political or religious views, liberal or conservative. Anyone else who says otherwise doesn't have the best interests of children at heart, only their own.

PureX

Veteran Member

We'd be living in Iran.

PureX

Veteran Member
You can talk about exceptions all you like, but the majority of military personnel is conservative and the majority of our educators are Liberal.
Perhaps you should ask yourself why most educated people tend to be liberal. Why is it that the people who study current events, the people who study the natural sciences, the people who are the most courageous, inventive, and curious among us, and who tend to devote their lives to endeavors like art, science, and teaching instead of making big wads of money, are overwhelmingly liberal in their view of social morality and government?

Why do you think that is, Rick?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Perhaps you should ask yourself why most educated people tend to be liberal. Why is it that the people who study current events, the people who study the natural sciences, the people who are the most courageous, inventive, and curious among us, and who tend to devote their lives to endeavors like art, science, and teaching instead of making big wads of money, are overwhelmingly liberal in their view of social morality and government?

Why do you think that is, Rick?

Because they would like to think they can change things. When I was your age, I would have thought canibis sativa would be legal by now.

PureX

Veteran Member
Because they would like to think they can change things. When I was your age, I would have thought canibis sativa would be legal by now.
LOL! How old do you think I am? Do you realize that I'm 50? I mean, I know I LOOK 25, but in truth ... *smile*

I don't think that news people, and scientists, and artists, and educators do what they do because they believe they can change things. I suppose some of them may when they're young, but like all of us, as they get older, they will discover just how small and insignificant they really are. But I think they do understand that change itself is inevitable, and that perhaps they can play a part in how things change. I think liberals have a lot of faith in God, and humanity, and in themselves, and so are not afraid to embrace new ideas, new discoveries, and new ways of doing things.

I think conservative are mostly motivated by fear, and by resentment. I don't think they trust in God, other people, or themselves. And most of all, they hate change. They want to maintain the status quo at all cost. And this is why most rich people are conservatives. They've got what they wanted, and now they want to keep it. That's why they're all about law and order, and having the biggest guns, and owning the politicians, so that they can control the will of society. It's their own society that they most fear, because they believe that everyone else is as shallow and greedy as they are, and will rise up and take what they've got if they don't keep a close reign on everything.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member

What difference does it make if one is liberal or conservative? You make it sound like being conservative automatically makes you responsible and that being liberal automatically makes you IRresponsible which is very false, very bigoted, and very insulting. If you wish to debate what it would be like if schools were conservative fine but to claim that all liberals are irresponsible, especially when all you have to back this up is your own opinion, is downright juvenile.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I think conservative are mostly motivated by fear, and by resentment. I don't think they trust in God, other people, or themselves. And most of all, they hate change. They want to maintain the status quo at all cost. And this is why most rich people are conservatives. They've got what they wanted, and now they want to keep it. That's why they're all about law and order, and having the biggest guns, and owning the politicians, so that they can control the will of society. It's their own society that they most fear, because they believe that everyone else is as shallow and greedy as they are, and will rise up and take what they've got if they don't keep a close reign on everything.
Pretty much sums it all up..

I wonder just how many conservatives thought (or would the correct term be 'feared'?) the exact same thing?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
LOL! How old do you think I am? Do you realize that I'm 50? I mean, I know I LOOK 25, but in truth ... *smile*

I don't think that news people, and scientists, and artists, and educators do what they do because they believe they can change things. I suppose some of them may when they're young, but like all of us, as they get older, they will discover just how small and insignificant they really are. But I think they do understand that change itself is inevitable, and that perhaps they can play a part in how things change. I think liberals have a lot of faith in God, and humanity, and in themselves, and so are not afraid to embrace new ideas, new discoveries, and new ways of doing things.

I believe you have summed this up nicely. I cannot disagree with any of it.