• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What If Jared Loughner Were A Muslim?

Mercy Not Sacrifice

OMG this is so true. On a very similar note, some reports are surfacing that he is allegedly an atheist. Cue the inevitable, prejudiced backlash against all atheists. :mad:

By contrast, white Americans will not face an automatic backlash because of his race, and neither would Christian Americans were he to be identified as a Christian. How come Timothy McVeigh is not universally known as a "Christian terrorist"? Why this double standard?

TJ73

This was so obvious to me. I am biracial and Muslim. Every time I hear of a crime I always react that way. I know how irrational and polarized people are. It's crazy!
I have my own political , social and religious identity. I have never found a need to discuss my point of view with the inclusion of hurtful, incendiary speech. I want people that I talk to, to feel free and unashamed to speak to me. Sometimes i can learn something new or teach someone else. It is such a shame our representatives and the people paid to discuss in the media can't do the same.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
I remember the the community I lived in during the Virginia Tech shootings. Many of the Korean community apologized along with the parents of Cho, to everyone in the community and a heartfelt apology to the family and friends of the victims. I know how I feel when a Filipino is found guilty of a heinous crime and that usually is one of embarrassment. Maybe it's because we hold a standard for nationality as Asians.
Anyway, it sucks that people would feel different if the accused was a Muslim. Goes to show how media and political agendas influence thought.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Sometimes I kid about how rooting for my favorite sports team makes me automatically suspect. It is sort of true, even.

Archer

Though I disagree with some of this I will say that in my book: Gangs = terrorists, KKK = terrorists, punks scaring people in the mall = terrorists. Face it if the government was not being a bit racist they could see the truth. Many people in this country live in fear and it is not the Muslims that are the problem.

If a person cant go to sleep at night without hearing gunshots or worrying about their car being broken into or scared to go into the street without being assaulted there is a bigger problem than the militant Muslims. How about militant American youth.

astarath

If the definition of terrorist is someone who uses fear in order to illicit a specific response I think we need look no further than FOX news for our own homegrown terror group.

astarath

sorry that is what I meant. But I dont want to discredit actual faux news programs such as Jon Stewart of the Colber Report