• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if "Good" and "Evil" were in the reverse?

SSGT500

Investigator
What if, in the world we live in today, being "good" was not the "norm"? What if things were the other way around. What if, as a society people were imprisoned for doing "good"? What if doing "evil" was something to give praise for?

How would people's views differ and in what way would you imagine topics, such as are discussed in this forum, would be?

Just something to chew on.

Enoughie

What if hot and cold were reversed..

Natural Philosophy of Life offers a simple, elegant, and powerful alternative to religious dogma. This philosophy has a firm foundation in nature, science, and reason, and it is centered on the core values of honesty, generosity, equality, and freedom

SSGT500

Investigator
No, I don't believe it would be exactly the same. Imagine, for a minute (and actually put some good thought into it) how the world would look. Although simply reversing the two sides poses the response of things being exactly the same, I believe things would be drastically different. Far more chaotic and much more dark.

Primordial Annihilator

No, I don't believe it would be exactly the same. Imagine, for a minute (and actually put some good thought into it) how the world would look. Although simply reversing the two sides poses the response of things being exactly the same, I believe things would be drastically different. Far more chaotic and much more dark.

Indeed...sociopathy is fun...but the end result is the collapse of
society...if everyone was sociopathic.

SSGT500

Investigator
Thank you. Finally someone who can fully understand the question at hand. One question for you, I pose, is this: Would most people, in fact, be sociopaths?

Primordial Annihilator

Thank you. Finally someone who can fully understand the question at hand. One question for you, I pose, is this: Would most people, in fact, be sociopaths?

To a degree yes...they often exhibit sociopathic behaviour....but a true sociopath like myself has to pretend to be 'human' 24/7 I imagine its a little different for most people, I imagine they have a natural ability to feel guilt...I do not....it is this distinction which seperates us.

Danmac

What if, in the world we live in today, being "good" was not the "norm"? What if things were the other way around. What if, as a society people were imprisoned for doing "good"? What if doing "evil" was something to give praise for?

How would people's views differ and in what way would you imagine topics, such as are discussed in this forum, would be?

Just look at the democratic agenda and you can answer your own question.

Nerthus

Wanderlust

If things were in reverse, it would be the norm. We wouldn't know any different.

Primordial Annihilator

If things were in reverse, it would be the norm. We wouldn't know any different.

Not so as SSGT500 has struggled to show you....good and evil (social and anti social) are not 'symmetrical'.

If everyone was like me...trust me the world would be very different...no rules...no police...no mercy...no welfare...no UN...only war....and me raiding your home with a shotgun.

Last edited:

SSGT500

Investigator
I'm glad one (Primordial Annihilator) can actually see the difference between the two. Some people are of such a simplistic nature (only seeing black and white) it makes it hard to have any type of discussion whatsoever. So, thanks. On a side-note, what have your psychologists told you of your nature? If you don't mind me asking?

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
Humanity does not progress beyond any other ape.

The Bright Beast

*Insert Witty Title Here*
Imagine yourself in the position of an SS officer, or one of Mugabe's soldiers. That is what it would be like. Power would be abused, and the poor and the minorities would suffer as a result. The only difference would be that the world would be a little more... chaotic.

Nerthus

Wanderlust
Not so as SSGT500 has struggled to show you....good and evil (social and anti social) are not 'symmetrical'.

If everyone was like me...trust me the world would be very different...no rules...no police...no mercy...no welfare...no UN...only war....and me raiding your home with a shotgun.

I am talking morally - if evil was something praised - then we would not see it different to now, praising good. And, we all have different opinions on what is considered good, evil and socially acceptable, as will also will when things are reversed.

If you are talking about the way the would would survive, then perhaps it would be very different.

Last edited:

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
I have to assent with Primordial Annihilator. A society that possesses not only totally selfish values, but values that demand we hate and hurt our neighbours could not survive. A house divided against itself cannot stand. Thomas Hobbes and John Locke argued that all societal organisation is ultimately rooted in some form of self-interest. Every citizen indirectly signs a social contract with the society for protection and security. This ensures that yours, along with everyone else's standard of living is improved, since your own safety would be jeopardised in an anarchic state of nature. Altruism and good behaviour ensure prosperity. Evolutionary theory also supports the notion that we are instinctually encoded to exhibit altruistic behaviour. Society is natural for us. We are not meant to live alone, and because of our communitarian instincts, altruism reigns as our highest good. Aristotle affirmed that we are political and social animals. When we cease living in a community/society, we become less than human.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have to assent with Primordial Annihilator. A society that possesses not only totally selfish values, but values that demand we hate and hurt our neighbours could not survive. A house divided against itself cannot stand. Thomas Hobbes and John Locke argued that all societal organisation is ultimately rooted in some form of self-interest. Every citizen indirectly signs a social contract with the society for protection and security. This ensures that yours, along with everyone else's standard of living is improved, since your own safety would be jeopardised in an anarchic state of nature. Altruism and good behaviour ensure prosperity. Evolutionary theory also supports the notion that we are instinctually encoded to exhibit altruistic behaviour. Society is natural for us. We are not meant to live alone, and because of our communitarian instincts, altruism reigns as our highest good. Aristotle affirmed that we are political and social animals. When we cease living in a community/society, we become less than human.
But as things are now, "good" is to some people that which others would call evil, & "evil" is to some that which others would call good.
It's a little like asking what would happen if alternating current flowed from - to +, instead of + to -

Last edited:

Primordial Annihilator

I'm glad one (Primordial Annihilator) can actually see the difference between the two. Some people are of such a simplistic nature (only seeing black and white) it makes it hard to have any type of discussion whatsoever. So, thanks. On a side-note, what have your psychologists told you of your nature? If you don't mind me asking?

You are welcome.

I have had a number of psychiatric evaluations and the general consensus is that I am not insane but I am a sociopath with other personality disorders including schizotypal dysfunction.
I am treated with sedatives and anti anxiety medication and counselling...which I have to attend.

Basically it all stems from post traumatic stress disorder that I underwent as a young child...my mother was repeatedly beaten and raped by a violent partner (not my father) in my presence...in the end I stabbed this man repeatedly with a kitchen knife when I was aged about 7, while he slept...things went kind of downhill from there...started using drugs at about 11 etc...

Life eh?

Sorry to tell a grim tale...I don't say it to avoid personal responsibility...but I hope it illuminates people to the fact that monsters can be born and monsters can be made by other monsters...I feel I fall into the latter category....I was fairly normal up until my mother re married.