• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if God were one of us?

Muffled

Jesus in me
How is yonder suspicious?

No this is not the middle, this is the Last Mantra of the Yajur Veda.

Its a common belief that OM is the first and highest name of the supreme being, among Hindus.

The Bible speaks of the omnipresence of God. So it would be reasoanble to think of Him as beyond oneself but yonder suggests far away. The explanation might be as simple as someone's lack of understanding of English.

What I meant was verse before and after. In other words is God continously speaking or does He say something out of context.

Common beliefs are like traditions. They may or may not be so. It is not what He told me. He told me Om is a universal vibration. It would not surprise me if that is what holds everything together (something God says He does).

Satyamavejayanti

Muffled;3106033]The Bible speaks of the omnipresence of God. So it would be reasoanble to think of Him as beyond oneself but yonder suggests far away. The explanation might be as simple as someone's lack of understanding of English.

Sanskrit translated to English is impossible to get 100% correct. I think this translation was done in a poetical sense.

Ishwar is metaphorically speaking when it says about being "yonder". That is what i think if we take this translation as it is.

There is also a Mantra in the Yajur Veda that says he is near and far at the same time.
It moves in the eyes of fools. It is motionless, It is far distant but also it is near.
It is within This All; and it surrounds This All externally.

and also 40.8

Bright, Bodiless, Woundless,
Sinewless, the Pure which evil hath not pierced.
knower of all, wise, encompassing, he self-existent does its own action, as its been since eternity.

But unlike other religions, the Vedas never say things like Ishwar (God) lives in heaven or on a mountain or only in the temple, which would then constitute non-omnipresence.

What I meant was verse before and after. In other words is God continously speaking or does He say something out of context.

Well the Vedas were revealed to seers (rishis) so there are 1st person, 2nd person and 3 person Mantras in them as well. And we have to take these into context when reading the Vedas.

Common beliefs are like traditions. They may or may not be so. It is not what He told me. He told me Om is a universal vibration. It would not surprise me if that is what holds everything together (something God says He does).
Om or Aum or ॐ or ओम् or ओ३म्

Om is made from three syllables – A (अ), U (उ), M (म्)

each of these syllables represent various characteristics of Ishwar.

A represents vast, universal, worth being worshipped

U represents brilliant, minute, source, controller

M represents infinite, undying, knowledgeable, caring

And there are many other meanings also, like the one you stated about it being a universal vibration, Sound of the universe or, OM (AUM) meaning Omnipresent, Omnipotent and Omniscient.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Sanskrit translated to English is impossible to get 100% correct. I think this translation was done in a poetical sense.

Ishwar is metaphorically speaking when it says about being "yonder". That is what i think if we take this translation as it is.

There is also a Mantra in the Yajur Veda that says he is near and far at the same time.

and also 40.8

But unlike other religions, the Vedas never say things like Ishwar (God) lives in heaven or on a mountain or only in the temple, which would then constitute non-omnipresence.

Well the Vedas were revealed to seers (rishis) so there are 1st person, 2nd person and 3 person Mantras in them as well. And we have to take these into context when reading the Vedas.

Om or Aum or ॐ or ओम् or ओ३म्

Om is made from three syllables – A (अ), U (उ), M (म्)

each of these syllables represent various characteristics of Ishwar.

A represents vast, universal, worth being worshipped

U represents brilliant, minute, source, controller

M represents infinite, undying, knowledgeable, caring

And there are many other meanings also, like the one you stated about it being a universal vibration, Sound of the universe or, OM (AUM) meaning Omnipresent, Omnipotent and Omniscient.

When one looks at the context of the other verses I believe "yonder" would have to be poetic. I believe God is in the temple, on the mountain, and in Heaven as well as everywhere else. I think the point is that there are places where it is easier to encounter God. I believe Jesus suggested a closet.

I believe that God is very much the provider of the vibration but He is not that vibration itself. I believe It is like thinking the burning bush is God simply because God speaks from it. I believe with the OM the distinctions are even less clear so it is easy to misconstrue it. When viewed mystically there doesn't appear to be a difference.

Satyamavejayanti

Muffled;3114523]When one looks at the context of the other verses I believe "yonder" would have to be poetic. I believe God is in the temple, on the mountain, and in Heaven as well as everywhere else. I think the point is that there are places where it is easier to encounter God. I believe Jesus suggested a closet.

Many Hindus believe that God is this entire creation itself, and that ONLY Brahman exists, and there is nothing wrong in that.
I believe Ishwar is the governor of this creation and the previous and future one as well.

I believe that God is very much the provider of the vibration but He is not that vibration itself. I believe It is like thinking the burning bush is God simply because God speaks from it. I believe with the OM the distinctions are even less clear so it is easy to misconstrue it. When viewed mystically there doesn't appear to be a difference.

In Hinduism Ishwar is beyond all senses ect, and In Vadic Hinduism the highest name of Ishwar is OM, All humans are free to to believe or not believe this.
All names of Ishwar in Hinduism are but attributes of the one infinite supreme.
Infinite attributes, Infinite names.

Muffled

Jesus in me
A short story where God talks to a random guy on a train and answers all his questions:
Ragged Trousered Philosopher

A good read, imo.

Very ineresting!

I will share this line from it: "he convinced me by having all, and I do mean ALL, the answers."

I believed I had all the answers before I met God. I believe He asks the most difficult questins, lol. (And doesn't very often provide answers, which reminds me of the hand wave He gave Joan on the TV show)

Last edited:

ankarali

This concept grew out of Chinu's "Suppose" thread and a TV show where God appears to a teenage girl and gives her instructions.

"like a stranger on the bus" as the song continues.

Unless God identifies Himself it might be difficult to identify Him at first. Consider it a given that God could appear in any guise and our least likely person to be God image.

This is kin to Bible verse that says something to the affect that we could entertain angels unaware.

So 1. How would you know it was God.
2. If an unlikely person told you He was God would you believe Him or think He was nuts?

We can't never seen God with our eyes in this world it will be possible only for ''believer'' people in the other world. God is not like a human but it is normal you think that God's face is like a human face for exemple we make a car if someone ask to the car imagine what it can be like your creator the car will imagine in his head a picture of car he will never find our face without seeing us

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
The syllogism goes thusly:

God is good.

Peolple do evil

therfore God is not all people.

Of course this logic only works if one believes the premises are true as I do.

or we could try (from a more Pantheistic view):

God is all.

People do evil.

Therefore God does evil. :shrug:

Muffled

Jesus in me
We can't never seen God with our eyes in this world it will be possible only for ''believer'' people in the other world. God is not like a human but it is normal you think that God's face is like a human face for exemple we make a car if someone ask to the car imagine what it can be like your creator the car will imagine in his head a picture of car he will never find our face without seeing us

I don't believe He can be seen in either case becasue in either case we are finite but God is infinite.

I don't believe this to be the case. I believe what the Bible says when it says man is made in God's image. However since God is spirit that means that man is spirit also. However man's spirit was breathed into a body to make a human soul and God's spirit can also be breathed into a body to make a divine soul.